GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to utah moki dugway ( weather permiting ) on way to montrose colorado in 3 weeks . Have any suggestions roads thru oklahoma to take ? Or not to !!! Coming from florida so can / will wander some lol

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
123 Posts
UncleJohn:

I rode through Oklahoma but decided to stay off Rt 40. I rode Route 60 through Ponca City then Rtoute 412 towards Santa Fe. I was good road, but hot and windy. Take a cooling vest !!!!

When I got to Utah, I rode the Moki Dugway too. Here is a video from near the top -> https://vimeo.com/355159706

I did it by myself. Did not see a soul up there, but continued on into Bears Ears and the Natural Bridge Monument. It's a great ride :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Enjoy the eastern part of the state, because when you get west of I35 it's not so scenic. I live in the Tulsa area and would be happy to lead you down some good roads. Most of the "state" highways are good. Let me know where you will be entering Okla. and I'll point out a few routes you might be interested in riding, and points of interest going east to west. And places to EAT.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unclejohn:

I rode through oklahoma but decided to stay off rt 40. I rode route 60 through ponca city then rtoute 412 towards santa fe. I was good road, but hot and windy. Take a cooling vest !!!!

When i got to utah, i rode the moki dugway too. Here is a video from near the top -> https://vimeo.com/355159706

i did it by myself. Did not see a soul up there, but continued on into bears ears and the natural bridge monument. It's a great ride :)
wow what a view !! Been thru that area twice over the years but never that road gonna give it a try on rockies gold trip next month if weather ok.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
enjoy the eastern part of the state, because when you get west of i35 it's not so scenic. I live in the tulsa area and would be happy to lead you down some good roads. Most of the "state" highways are good. Let me know where you will be entering okla. And i'll point out a few routes you might be interested in riding, and points of interest going east to west. And places to eat.
thanks for offer ! Be pretty much trying to stay of main hwys if possible and still make time will try n send you a pm couple days before . If weather bad mite take different rt

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
thanks for offer ! Be pretty much trying to stay of main hwys if possible and still make time will try n send you a pm couple days before . If weather bad mite take different rt
I understand, let me know when you'll be in Oklahoma and what highway you will be on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When you come through in 3 weeks, the temps should be more in the 80s than upper 90s. All the routes already mentioned are all good, and for different reasons. Talimina drive popular in fall for foliage colors. Oklahoma has more miles of Route 66 than any other state so if seeing 66 is important to you, check it out. And lots of small mom & pop restaurants to stop at on the way.

Enjoy the trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Highway 412 in the Panhandle of Oklahoma is the loneliest stretch of road in the USA IMHO. From Guymon, OK to Springer, NM there are only 2 towns in between so you better gas up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are a few things to see west of I-35, but the roads to them are pretty uneventful.
Wichita mountains in the southwest, black mesa, little sahara st. park

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when you come through in 3 weeks, the temps should be more in the 80s than upper 90s. All the routes already mentioned are all good, and for different reasons. Talimina drive popular in fall for foliage colors. Oklahoma has more miles of route 66 than any other state so if seeing 66 is important to you, check it out. And lots of small mom & pop restaurants to stop at on the way.

Enjoy the trip!

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk
was out there years ago and road quit a bit of 66 . Was big storm that i was chasing and when i went thru little town the intersection had 6 inches of water in !! Still love going thru small towns. Most interstates are what "killed" them .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts