GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On August 8, 2010 I bought a NOS 2008. So I thought...you are supposed to leave break-in oil until the first oil change...but some people say you should change oil that is over 6 months old. So I left the possibly 3 year old oil in and changed it when when recomended. Was this the right thing to do? PS: It ran 60,000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My F6B was a new-old-stock 2016, likely manufactured sometime the previous year in 2015. I was told it had been stored in its crate until early 2018, when it was assembled for sale and rolled out into the showroom at Honda PowerSports in Manchester, New Hampshire.
I bought it mid-August 2018.
In days of old, motorcycle dealers always recommended doing the first oil change at 1,000 miles...something about metal particles that get in the oil from break-in or something???
In October 2018, by which time she was approaching 1,000 on the odometer, I called Honda to make an appointment for service.
The technician to whom I spoke on the phone that day told me with apparent confidence that my B did not need its first oil-change until 4,000, as indicated in my owner manual.
So, I rolled her into my garage in early November, connected her to the Battery Tender, covered her, and let her be until just this morning.
She has around 1,400 on the odometer, and will probably be due for oil sometime this summer.
I don't leave the trickle charger on around the clock 24/7. I have to turn on the power in my garage from a master switch, which activates my garage door opener, overhead lights, and wall outlets. Thus, my bike gets a hit of charge every day when I need to open the garage door to get the car out of the garage (green light is always blinking on the tender indicating at least 80% charge in the battery), plus I leave the power on steady for 8 hours two or three days a week until I get home, by which time tender indicates steady green and 100% charge.
I've been doing this forever with my motorcycles, and I have always gotten at least 5 years of service from them.

It is 44 degrees today in central New Hampshire (one of the "frozen states" for sure) with warm temperatures and rain expected next week.
So...it won't be long :)

In NH, the roads get salted all winter, thus even if air temperature warms to tolerable in March, conscientious riders wait until there's a good, steady rain, to wash the salt off the roadways. The stuff is corrosive! You DON'T want to get that fine salt dust into your equipment, cuz it will do damage!
So...this here pilgrim is looking at late March to get back out there....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My F6B was.... likely manufactured sometime the previous year in 2015.
So...this here pilgrim is looking at late March to get back out there....
So that'll give you plenty of time to get that old, contaminated oil outa that nice engine before the salt is gone...You know it makes sense...:wink2:

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
AGM batteries 'keep' better when fully charged.

You are not doing it any favours giving it a few minutes each day.

Better to run the tender all day or weekend once a month.

From Yuasa:

BATTERY MAINTENANCE

AGM BATTERIES do not have to be checked as often as Conventional batteries—about every three months, or three months from the date of battery activation at the factory if
stored at room temperature.

Higher storage temperatures cause faster self-discharge and requires that batteries be checked more often.

The battery will last longer if it is 100% charged most of the time and any of the Yuasa automatic chargers will maintain a battery for optimum performance and long service life.

AGM batteries have a predetermined quantity of electrolyte added at the factory or in the field specified for the battery. Once activated, the battery is permanently sealed and must never be opened.
The addition of water is never required for an AGM battery.

The single most important aspect to maintaining an AGM battery is to not let it sit discharged for long periods of time—keep it fully charged for peak performance.

STORAGE
If the vehicle is in storage or used infrequently, disconnect the battery cable to eliminate current drain from electrical
equipment. Check the battery every month (for Conventional types) and every three months for AGM batteries. I
f open circuit voltage indicates a low state-of-charge, charge the battery.
Temperatures below 60° F or above 80° F may require more frequent inspections and/or charging.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Engines in cars and motorcycles have not used break in oil for decades. Bikes are shipped to dealers with the crankcase empty. The dealer fills it with normal Honda dino oil during prep.

I have never heard of a recommendation to change oil every 6 months. Sounds excessive to me.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Engines in cars and motorcycles have not used break in oil for decades. Bikes are shipped to dealers with the crankcase empty. The dealer fills it with normal Honda dino oil during prep.
I have seen a few bikes set up including other brands than Honda. The bikes including Honda were shipped with oil in the crankcase.

Under Set-Up Checks, the Honda On-Road Motorcycle Set-Up and Pre-Delivery Checklist has a check box for "Oil Drain Bolt Torqued." Under Pre-Delivery Service And Inspection, there is a check box for "Engine Oil." Checked for the proper level. Oil added if low.

My 2018 wing was full of the required fluids right off the shipping skid.

Honda: Factory fill; GN4
Yamaha: Factory fill; Yamalube
KTM: Factory fill; Motorex
Triumph: Factory fill; Castrol
Ducati: Factory fill; Shell Advance
HD: Factory fill; HD 360 except CVO models which come filled with SYN3.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, bullet Bob I did answer my own question. Of course the correct answer to every oil question is yes, no or maybe. All of which are correct Ha Ha

·
Registered
262 Posts
I ride an F6B, and also am on that forum. About half of the forum members, that bought "new" F6B's, had to add oil to the final drive. They were all low, and these were from Honda dealerships, all across the country. Word for the wise, don't assume the dealer does all his required checks, during his "set-up" procedures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts