GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Don't hate me, but I was out and about yesterday. Rode to work and back (100 miles) on the above bike and then then picked up the Missus and headed out for some supper.
We are very rural here.
We stopped at a local gas station - and this old fart (about the general age of most Gold Wing Riders - 74 years) pulls up next to me and wants some directions.

Florida tag, eh?
"Where you from?" "Tampa, Florida"
"Where you been?" "Montana, and heading back to Tampa"

We had a nice chat and then gave him directions and sent him on his way.

He was riding a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter and was all dressed up like a pirate, er, Harley rider. :doorag:

But, seriously - Tampa, Florida to the wilds of Montana (and back) on a scooter? At 74 years old?

:bow:

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can't believe old people. Have you read some of the stuff on this board? And it ain't just Rocky.
Texas people are mostly OK.

...Louie

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you did not challenge him to a race, if was indeed on a Suzuki Burgman 650 he would have embarrassed you. Those Scooters will surprise you on there performance and long distance capability. Good to see the Old Man still out there enjoying his Hobby!
Eh, that'll never happen. Typically, just about the time I figure out that someone is racing me, then the race is already over.

;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

Don't hate me, but I was out and about yesterday. Rode to work and back (100 miles) on the above bike and then then picked up the Missus and headed out for some supper.
We are very rural here.
We stopped at a local gas station - and this old fart (about the general age of most Gold Wing Riders - 74 years) pulls up next to me and wants some directions.

Florida tag, eh?
"Where you from?" "Tampa, Florida"
"Where you been?" "Montana, and heading back to Tampa"

We had a nice chat and then gave him directions and sent him on his way.

He was riding a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter and was all dressed up like a pirate, er, Harley rider. :doorag:

But, seriously - Tampa, Florida to the wilds of Montana (and back) on a scooter? At 74 years old?

:bow:
Three thoughts: First, 74 isn't really that old to be riding around the country unless, of course, you just some young whippersnapper. Second, the Burgman is less a scooter and more a step-through motorcycle. You should think twice about racing one for pink slips. Third, nice ride you have pictured there!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never having owned a scooter I just assumed that it might be a bit tedious to to made such a journey. I mean, look at them little wheels. Although I did own a moped whilst living in Southern Spain.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've seen more than a few folks on those scooters on the freeway.

Underestimate them at your own peril.

I'm guessing that someone out there has done an Iron Butt ride. Heck, at the time that my SS1000 ( 2008 ) was listed at IBA, someone was listed on the IBA list of certified finishers as having done a SS1000 on a 49cc scooter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
"look at them little wheels." 15" on front and 14" on back ain't little. Parked next to a Goldwing, there isn't much size difference.. Bought one for the wife, but it didn't work out well. My wife did run into a gal here, that rode her burgman 400 everywhere to include Fl, if I'm not mistaken. Wonderful machine. If I had to get rid of the Wing, I would go back to the Burgman 650, very impressive! I had hers running 100mph and it wasn't topped out yet.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I met a guy at a motel in Montana a couple of years ago that was touring on a Bergman 650. Looked like he was having a real good time.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"look at them little wheels." 15" on front and 14" on back ain't little. Parked next to a Goldwing, there isn't much size difference.. Bought one for the wife, but it didn't work out well. My wife did run into a gal here, that rode her burgman 400 everywhere to include Fl, if I'm not mistaken. Wonderful machine. If I had to get rid of the Wing, I would go back to the Burgman 650, very impressive! I had hers running 100mph and it wasn't topped out yet.

Never rode one - but did get the opportunity to try out a Honda Silver Wing. I know it'll do 100+, 2-up.
:eek:4:

Is the Silver Wing in the same class as the 650 Burgman?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Never having owned a scooter I just assumed that it might be a bit tedious to to made such a journey. I mean, look at them little wheels. Although I did own a moped whilst living in Southern Spain.

My best friend had a Burgman 650 Executive. One of the Harley Riders was making fun of him on that. (He makes his living flying King Air's) My friend started out in the rear of the pack. Just to show off and he usually does not do this he sped past the Darksider so fast that the Harley Guy bought him a Dr. Pepper at lunch.

Those things go like the bat well, you know what I mean.

He now rides a Cam Am Spyder. He is a bit different.:joke:

I will be 73 in two months and I love long distance riding. Wear a Kewl vest in this Texas heat.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so everyone knows - I am an old buzzard, too.

Riding a Gold Wing .... it ain't like we're all hanging out on the sport bike forums.

;)

P.S. What is a Kewl Vest ???

·
Registered
279 Posts
Poser, I would encourage you to ride a Burgie before you run your mouth. They are very impressive and a very capable touring bike, especially one up. They call them a baby wing for a reason.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great story. My son and I were in souther Ohio a couple years back just out playing. We like to stop at the state and federal parks we run across. We call it Brown sign chasing. Anyway, at one of the parks we met a young 81 year old that was on a burgman. Said he was on his way home to Portland Maine after riding to visit his son .... in Seattle Washington. The scooter of his waas loaded down pretty heavy but he had no trouble jumping out into traffic and leaving them behind.

We met another 80 yr old that was on light weight 650 cruiser coming back from the Keys, he was headed home to the U.P. of Michigan.

Love to see folks still living and loving life at those ages.

If we all could have that quality of life that late in the game.:yes1:

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poser, I would encourage you to ride a Burgie before you run your mouth. They are very impressive and a very capable touring bike, especially one up. They call them a baby wing for a reason.
Have I offended you in some way?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have I offended you in some way?

Nah, didn't offend me. I just got the impression that you thought a scooter wasn't up to the task you spoke of. I apologize if I came off a bit harsh. I have quite a few retired friends who tour coast to coast on these bikes and they do quite well.

I do hope you get the chance to ride a maxi-scooter. I think you'll be amazed.

Again, sorry for sounding a bit bold. I guess I was out of line.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My wife has a Silverwing (Bergman copy) and she rode it to Colorado and back with me, 3000 miles. She kept up and felt comfortable the whole way.

Those big scooters are pretty good bikes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts