GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finish added my two cents on a post here "High Cross Winds" about a rider trying to make his Goldwing
more comfortable for his SO.

Watch brings up a question here how far you riders feel about how many more "creature comforts" we or Honda can add
to the GL1800's to make it more car like??

Air bags,
heated this heated that,
back rest,
arm rest,
4 speaker stereo,
custom seating,
foot pegs,
trunk liners,
custom windshields,
baker wings,
foot warmers,
GPS,
radar detectors,
suspension adjustments,
adjustable head light,
fog lights, and the list goes on.

Do you think it's reaching the limit for the world's greatest touring cycle, or are we turning the Goldwing into a Old Farts bike?

What your thoughts on this???

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey Mike - since we're all slowly turning into old farts, are these our only two choices? :shock: :shock: :D :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think so longs as it's something we have to add... It's to each his own.
Everyone is going to add/change the things that they feel will make the bike better for them...

Old farts bike... Hardly I'm only 36 years young, and My bike isn't even 2 yet! (It's still teething!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it's an "Old Farts' Bike" but it does seem to be purpose built for the types of riding that appeals to more mature (not necessarily older) riders.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Naw, the Wing is not solely an old man/woman bike.

But, it is the best bike for those a bit more physically challenged, . . . regardless of age.

. . . and that ain't a bad thing.

A local Winger is calling for the automatic transmission . . .

and a refrigerated seat. He feels it would help with the dreaded butt rash

many Wingers of size suffer.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
That's the beauty of the Wing.

It can be what you want it to be.

It is a large, capable, stable platform that you can modify and adorn as you like. It has so much easily available hp and torque, that it will not turn into a slug with some added weight.

Rodehard used to kid us about the "Mighty" Wing. He was addressing riders who hadn't experienced the performance parameters of real sport bikes. But I think the Wing is "Mighty". It's just not mighty fast. :wink:

It will push a barn door windshield down the rode while powering a thousand watts of heating and audio, towing a trailer with a cooler on the hitch, all without feeling like it is breathing hard.

If you'd rather, you can cut down the windshield, ride naked, and bounce along on your mufflers and handlebars, if that's your preference.

It's really quite flexible. What others choose to do with their Wings is none of my business. What others choose to call the Wing is not my concern.

Of course sport bikers will call it an old man's bike.
Of course old ladies will call it a a murdercycle for those wild kids.

People will put as much chrome and doo dads on it as they want. When there's too much, they'll take some off; or maybe they'll do their next one differently.

Whatever goes on a Wing, the Republic is safe, and the teleological agenda of Whomever is not perturbed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Each time I see the above shot of Mr. Yellow Wolf . . .

I am struck by how well his bike fits him.

I don't know how tall the gentleman is . . .

but, he must be close to the perfect size for a Wing.

The "fit" may contribute to his level of skill.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
hubert said:
Each time I see the above shot of Mr. Yellow Wolf . . .

I am struck by how well his bike fits him.

I don't know how tall the gentleman is . . .

but, he must be close to the perfect size for a Wing.

The "fit" may contribute to his level of skill.
YW is a short little $hi+! Look how far he had to cut his windshield down just to be able to see over it :!: :shock:

The advantage to being so vertically challenged is he has a very low COG, allows him to go around corners really fast :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I wouldn't call the GWing an old persons bike by any stretch of the imagination. Older people ride them because they can afford them. Now what I ride could be called an old man's bike - my Silver Wing. But, as someone has observed, we ride what makes us feel comfortable - and that in the long run is the bottom line.

Mesquite Bob

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Just finish added my two cents on a post here "High Cross Winds" about a rider trying to make his Goldwing
more comfortable for his SO.

Watch brings up a question here how far you riders feel about how many more "creature comforts" we or Honda can add
to the GL1800's to make it more car like??

Air bags,
heated this heated that,
back rest,
arm rest,
4 speaker stereo,
custom seating,
foot pegs,
trunk liners,
custom windshields,
baker wings,
foot warmers,
GPS,
radar detectors,
suspension adjustments,
adjustable head light,
fog lights, and the list goes on.

Do you think it's reaching the limit for the world's greatest touring cycle, or are we turning the Goldwing into a Old Farts bike?

What your thoughts on this???
Hey I'm just in my 40's, so like I always say: opinions are like elbows, everybodies got at least a couple. (clean version) But if it personalizing the Wing makes it an old farts bike then color me an "Old Fart" and proud of it!! T. :D 8)

·
Registered
203 Posts
At 43 I don't consider myself an old fart. I may look the part, but I don't feel like one. Those that ask if I'm a little young to be riding a Wing are usually the ones that end up behind me on rides asking me to slow down and stop more often. Old fart bike? Yeah right!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
At 60, I may technically qualify as an "old fart," but I don't feel like it. And neither does my Gold Wing. In fact, it's quite capable of a lot more than I am! Besides, there are a lot of old farts that are really good riders and can make a Wing perform. And face it, we will ALL eventually reach "old fart" status.

And it's fun to make the bike be what you want it to be. Some are purists who would ride nothing but a "naked" bike, and others who love the comfort of a big touring bike with all the ameneties. Who says you have to be miserable and uncomfortable to have fun?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought a Venture when I was 29 only because I couldn't afford a wing. Now I'm 40 and just picked up my 06 GL. People can call it a geezer bike all they like. It's the bike that suits the type of riding my wife and I love to do.

Likewise, people are free to add as many accessories and do-dads as they like. It might be more or less than I would prefer but to each his or her own. Whatever makes you happy is cool with me 8)

I certainly never thought heated seats would be necessary but I've got to say that it sure was nice this morning on the way to work. Makes the wife happy too so I'm all for it.

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
pshivers said:
Red said:
The Wing isn't a motorcycle, it's a two wheeled car! :?
Hey Red, Does that mean we shouldn't "Expect Wind" :!: :?: :?:

:)
Expect Wind! LOL... They forgot to install the controls for electric windows. Windows and tilt will be installed in '08. I look for a/c to be a option before too long also. :wink: Maybe a retractable roof option by 2010.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts