GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 helmets that are more then the minimum 5 years old. Just wondering the best way to dispose of them without putting them in a land fill. Anyone know what to do with them?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have five retired helmets. They line the top of my credenza. Some day I may have to actually get rid of them. :-(

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I put them in the garbage, which goes to a big incinerator generating electricity.

·
Registered
512 Posts
sgmdudley,

Take the brain buckets out in your back yard,,,, Dig a hole for an hour,,,about 4 ft deep, 4ft x 4 ft.square ,,.. drop them in this hole,,,cover it.
Let the earth "reclaim them"...
You done your part to go green.
You may be recomended for the greeness award of the year,,,who knows...:)

A second doption would be to find a buddy that has a 'chipper machine'...stand back and thrown them into this,,and figure you have you done your 'earthly part',,,,again in the form of turning the brain buckets,,into compost,,,:)

take care,
bc

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I cut the straps off and throw them in the trash.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Out there in CO. you have a good place to enjoy getting rid of them...

Take them about a third or half way up one of your neighbors hillsides and drop them about fife yards apart and go back 1000 yards and use a 300 Winchester magnum, 50 Cal. or one of the new 416s and practice until you can hit all of them, ya never know when you might need that experience in your background... :shrug: :shrug:

Enjoy yourself wile doing it and make yourself a batter shot all at the same time and still disposing of them the right way... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Then do as Stearman says, I know there are several incinerator out there...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here on the Left Coast, we just donate the helmets Chapter 13 of ABATE. They use them for the Helmet Toss games at the end of their rides. Contact the ABATE chapter in your area.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Put them for sale on this site... Study shows that helmet shells do not degrade at all, even after 15yrs; the liners degrade, yet may still be ok after 5yrs.

The "5yr Limit" is created by the helmet mfrs, probably so that they can sell more helmets

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The "5yr Limit" is created by the helmet mfrs, probably so that they can sell more helmets
I tend to agree with this. Wish it was true, but the foam lasts a long, long time!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Put them for sale on this site... Study shows that helmet shells do not degrade at all, even after 15yrs; the liners degrade, yet may still be ok after 5yrs.

:yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Donate them to your local fire department or ambulance service so they can practice removing them from accident victims.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use em for targets also. I have an old manequin about 350 yards out and its fun to practice head shots on em.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The SNELL memorial Foundation recomends that if you use them on the weekends and they get stored in cool garage then the helmets can last 5-7 years but if you use it almost evey day then the sun and weather can be a factor and about 5 years Max. is when you should think about replacing the helmet.

If you throw them away, cutting the strap makes it almost impossible for someone to use if they find it in the trash. I replace mine about every 3-4 years and keep the old one around for a few years just in case a friend wants a ride but then I trash it. It would be fun to shoot it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The SNELL memorial Foundation recomends that if you use them on the weekends and they get stored in cool garage then the helmets can last 5-7 years but if you use it almost evey day then the sun and weather can be a factor and about 5 years Max. is when you should think about replacing the helmet.

If you throw them away, cutting the strap makes it almost impossible for someone to use if they find it in the trash. I replace mine about every 3-4 years and keep the old one around for a few years just in case a friend wants a ride but then I trash it. It would be fun to shoot it.
could you please post a link to that info.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts