GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show us what you rode 10 or 20+ years ago. My wife found this picture somewhere. It was taken in 1977, I'm on a 69 Triumph 650 Bonneville Chopper, rigid frame very long springer front end, no guages no starter,no shocks,just prime the carbs, kick it and go. This thing would wear you out in 100 miles. This could be something fun we can all enjoy during the holidays.Thanks Guys & Gals

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Cool pic, KC. Motorcycles sure have come a long way since that Triumph. That sure is your "bare bones basic motorcycle". While I'm sure that it would jar every tooth loose in your head, it probably never phased you at that time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
SilverWing

This is a very scrawny me in 1984 on my GL500i, starting out on a trip to Boston with a couple of friends.

It was a blast, as I recall, except for a slight problem in Ontario on the way back. It was a Sunday, and we were out of Canadian currency by the time we reached Ottawa, so I had the bright idea of going to the airport to do a currency exchange, as the US dollar was high against the Canadian at the time.

We pulled up toward the airport and were stopped by a dozen RCM's with their shotguns leveled at us! They had us remove our helmets, and apparently whoever they were looking for had some noticable scars or something, because they decided that though we were three guys in leather on black motorcycles, we weren't the same three guys who had robbed a bank and killed two civilians and a cop earlier in the morning.

They had a noticable look of relief when we actually came back out of the airport and flagged us down again to warn us that we were going to be stopped several times going out of town, and to just take it easy like we had with them.

We were stopped three more times at road blocks, and I'll have to say that even though it was a very tense situation, they were nothing but absolutely professional! It was a far cry from the abuse we received from the Minneapolis cops on a regular basis.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My original "Super 90"

This is my first bike - purchased new in 1965 from Al Kurth Honda in Eureka CA ( I was 16). My brother has restored it and displays it (and a Matchless) in his living room! Unfortunately I do not have a picture of me on the bike from that time :cry: Let me tell ya - that was one hell of a machine! Had Honda's ever since.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yep, this should be a fun one

Agree...looking at old bikes is kinda neat.
Here is one of me in 1975 at Devils Tower -- that's me with the CB-550 and my buddy was riding a CB-750.

·
Registered
567 Posts
No pictures

I never see the pictures referred to in various posts. The avatar pix on the left appear, but that's all. I would like to fix this , if anyone has advice. Thanks :(

·
Registered
819 Posts
how about 33 years ago

This is me in 1970 on my first bike a used 1968 305 honda scrambler. I'm wearing bibs because me and a friend of mine crashed riding 2 up on his dads 100 yamaha on the way back from the swimming hole and I don't have much skin on my back. The belt line on pants would rub me the wrong way since I slid to a stop from 55 mph on pavement without any shirt on.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Puzzling

Karl,
You should be seeing the three pictures that I posted above your post. If nothing is there, there is a couple of possiblities.
1. If you have a slow speed connection, they could still be downloading. As several folks post pics, it will take longer for all of them to download. If the download has completed, then there is another problem.
2. What brower are you using. I know this works well with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Not sure what else it might be.

Dave

·
Registered
819 Posts
me and my kz-1000

This is me and my 1977 KZ 1000 along about 1980 I'm married and own this place in the country + have two kids a boy and a girl. Would guess I'm 25.

I got the bike in 1977 and the first year the top of the tank faded out to a dull red so I was looking for someone to paint it for me and happened on this flame job that someone had done and didn't pick up so I got the tank and all for $50 also the dogs name is King and a fellow at work gave him to me because he had moved to an apartment and couldn't keep him.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Riding the Dolomites!

My European trip to Alps in Sept of '87. Flew the GL1200 on a DC10 and spent three weeks in Yugoslavia, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Italy. The speaker cover blew off on the autoban while going 100+mph

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
819 Posts
along about 1995

So here we are 1995 the kids are grown up, them and the wife have left and I can get to the LD touring that I always wanted to do so I picked up this 1981 1100 wing and set out to see the country.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I dont have a picture of me on it...but this was my first Honda back in 1970...used to have a blast with the little sucker !

·
Registered
819 Posts
Getting out and about, this is my 1100 on the blue ridge parkway the first time I was there in 1995

·
Registered
336 Posts
Old Bikes

This is as far back as I can go. Bought both of these bikes new. 1972 Yamaha 650 from Thor Motors, Hawaii and the 1975 Honda Gold Wing GL1000 I bought in the crate in Hong Kong and transported it back to Hawaii on the Navy Fleet Oiler I was serving on.

The Yamaha picture was taken in front of my house in Waipahu, Hawaii and the Gold Wing shot was taken somewhere on the Big Island.

Searching for these two pics brought back a lot of fond memories.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
First bike we did any real traveling on. This photo is before we added Vetter bags and trunk to the bike.

1979 Yamaha XS1100 I bought new. Very fast for the times.

an indicated 143 mph (with no fairing) was seen on south bound I-10 in the Verde Valley of Arizona. I was a bit younger then.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Here's a shot of my 1972 BMW R75/5. That's my brother next to it. Taken on a trip through Sequoia National Park in July 1974. He hasn't changed much, but boy, have I!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My 1973 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo in 73, shortly after this I changed to a Vetter Windjammer fairing.

This is a water cooled 3 cylinder 2 stroke, the first mass produced water cooled motorcycle,
the common nickname was Water Buffalo for the water cooling, it had a rubber mounted engine,
smooth as glass, absolutely no vibration.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts