GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen in Tucson on Craigslist this morning:

"Honda gold wing gl1100. 1983 runs has vw carb and custom intake. Lots of new parts. Asking $2200 "

I have never seen this done before, maybe a better carb than a VW I would think. I would like to ride just to see how well it runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That does not look like fuel injection to me. Just a VW carb. I am surprised that you have not seen posts on this web site or others about single carb installations. It's more common than you might think. Rebuilding the stock carbs is expensive and can be tricky is you have never done it.

I made a single carb setup to test old wing engines (4 cly) before I spent a lot of money on a bike with a bad engine. The intake is made of PVC pipe. It works very well.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That does not look like fuel injection to me. Just a VW carb. I am surprised that you have not seen posts on this web site or others about single carb installations. It's more common than you might think. Rebuilding the stock carbs is expensive and can be tricky is you have never done it.

I made a single carb setup to test old wing engines (4 cly) before I spent a lot of money on a bike with a bad engine. The intake is made of PVC pipe. It works very well.

Rayjoe
I was joking about the fuel injection, how could you get good fuel distribution with a carb like this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
As a Classic Wing owner (I still have 2 GL1000's) and someone that has restored/ resurrected a few Old Wings over the years I can tell you the Single Carb conversion is rather common. The old Wing 4 Carb set up is much better but may folks just don't seem to have the patience it takes to get the 4 Carbs right.

My 78 with a California Sidecar

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I made a single carb setup to test old wing engines (4 cly) before I spent a lot of money on a bike with a bad engine. The intake is made of PVC pipe. It works very well.Rayjoe

My apologies, I didn't read through your post and see I said the same thing as you. I have to pay closer attention.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts