GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 trike with 68k on the ODM.

Here's what is known.

As with all mechanical parts, old style alternator driver gears (ADG) begin to wear-out on day one. Honda used the old style ADGs from 2001-05s, and in 2001 or 02, Honda changed something to force a part number change. When ordering an ADG or its drive gear, they do not come as a set.

However, the parts below came out of the same engine and both are marked with "79.4." Usually I see no such markings and wonder what the markings mean. My guess would be that the markings somehow makes mates them, and I was guessing by weight, but that appears to not be correct. The parts shown are an ADG and the sizer gear that drives it. Size-wize they are very different. Anybody got any ideas ???

To see why this Wing is in for repair, go here

·
Registered
199 Posts
I could have something to do with the spline but I am unsure what.
Gears are very complex with size, shape and configuration.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... I'd not considered that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took some gear training way back in the day and I have racked my brain what those number could mean.
79.4 mm is 3.144" approximately and I don't see a coloration to the gear.
Pitch seems way to steep to me also.
Could it be the OD? I see that it attaches to another gear. it could be the center line of pattern of hoes that other gear connects to..
Check the OD of picture #1 and see how that lines up with the 3.144". If does not add the diameter of the pin that connects the two gears.
That should get you the center line of the pin diameter. I am thinking that will get you real close, from what I see of the pictures.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Op I was looking a picture three when I made the comment about the two gears connecting.
I am not familiar with the pictures enough to see how they assemble.
My Bad!

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this helps, here are more pictures.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am guessing that the number was put on part during an inspection and they may have been sorting parts for some reason.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The numbers are odd. We know the major differences between the 01-05 and the rest are the tooth count and the internals of the ADG. Maybe someone put the numbers on them to mess with a future mechanics mind...we may never know!
You mean like the guy from the Chrysler/Plymouth factory, who back in the mid 70s, would hang a specially bent piece of coat hanger wire on the inside of the left front door, so that would ting, or tap over certain bumps. Often it would be heard as the new customer drives his new car off the lot !!! That guy ???

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It not unusual for me to find some sort of hand marked etching or marking when removing an ADG. What's make this find unusual is that both marks have the same value, and both appear to be marked by the same person.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
You mean like the guy from the Chrysler/Plymouth factory, who back in the mid 70s, would hang a specially bent piece of coat hanger wire on the inside of the left front door, so that would ting, or tap over certain bumps. Often it would be heard as the new customer drives his new car off the lot !!! That guy ???
That’s the guy, I think I went to high school with him! 🤪

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My version is the VW Fox with a Brazilian COKE bottle hanging from a wire between the back seat and the trunk lining. It had a Spanish note inside that said “ congratulations-you found it”. We had to turn the bottle in For warranty purposes.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about a WAG!! That it’s the inch pound measurement of the assembled rotating assembly?? :unsure:🤓
That's a possibility. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If it was a Brazilian Coke bottle, it was probably Portuguese...

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg
1 - 15 of 15 Posts