GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way of telling the "original 01 ECM", when removed from the bike ? Part number maybe ? I dunno :roll:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Strider,
Sorry that I'm a little vague on this, but let me tell you something that I recall reading somewhere...(big help, right)

When they replace the ECM they are supposed to put a couple of punches on one of the serial number plates.

OK...having said that...you might want to find the service bulletin on that original ECM recall and maybe it will give you an answer.

I admit, it would be easy just to punch the plates and not replace the unit, but I guess that was Honda's way of letting everyone know that the work had allegedly been done.

I don't know if it is possible to check on the actual "identity" of an ECM.

Sorry, this is the best I can do for you on this. Hope I haven't caused you more confusion.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Look here ----> http://www.gl1800riders.com/hondaheat.pdf
All the GL1800 serive buls are here on the Honda Service area..
My '03 has a sticker under the fuel door with something about the ECM.. It does make a difference, my Wife's '01 is from Canada and still has the original ECM.. Her's seems to perform a little better, but the temp gage does climb a lot faster in traffic than mine does...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I believe the 'overheat' service bulletin was only for '01 to '03 models.

The '04 and later should have the corrections already in place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct Jon, but I still would like to know IF there is a way to just look at the ECM ONLY and tell which one it is ? :roll:

Thanks Guys :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I looked at the part list on HDL web site for the Control Unit.

2001 PN. 38770-MCA-671
2002 PN. 38770-MCA-751
2003 PN. 38770-MCA-A00 (replaced by A01)
2003 PN. 38770-MCA-A01

I have (supposidly) the original ECM from my 02. I asked the dealer if I could have it back when they did the recall. They put a sticky note on it and held it for 2 or 3 months to be sure Honda didn't want it back before they gave it to me. The sticky note was still on it when I got it back. If there are part numbers on the ECM, I can look at that one when I get home, to see if it is different from the part list number.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I looked at the ECM the dealer returned to me when I got home last night, the PN. on the ECM was 38770-MCA-751. That should be the original control unit for the 2002. The bubble wrap sack my old unit is in with Honda's part number sticker on it has part number 38770-MCA-305 on it. I assume that is the number of the ECM Honda used to replace the recalled units.

Hope this helps identify the unit in your Wing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dt, thanks for looking, I wonder now what a person would get shipped , because that is the same PN that you said HDL has listed for your bike . I wonder if Honda has just reprogrammed the old units and is keeping the same part number ?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Rich are you building your own 1800 from the ECM up?

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Strider said:
Dt, thanks for looking, I wonder now what a person would get shipped , because that is the same PN that you said HDL has listed for your bike . I wonder if Honda has just reprogrammed the old units and is keeping the same part number ?
The ECM can't be reprogrammed. That is why they were replaced instead, and also why dealers did not have to send them back as dud cores. Mfg cost is probably too low to justify replacing the EPROMs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BB, I've got a few projects on the go :wink:

Larry if that's the case, I don't quite understand why all the different part numbers for all the same ECM :roll:

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Strider said:
BB, I've got a few projects on the go :wink:

Larry if that's the case, I don't quite understand why all the different part numbers for all the same ECM :roll:
I doubt that anybody outside of Honda really knows the complete answer to that, but I would venture a guess that there have been slight improvements to the calibrations over the years. Car models can change calibrations 7 or 8 times in one model year.

I would also guess that most of these old part numbers are probably no longer available and are superceded by the most current part number unless they made a physical change in the ECM at some point.

·
Registered
598 Posts
dtredwing said:
The bubble wrap sack my old unit is in with Honda's part number sticker on it has part number 38770-MCA-305 on it. I assume that is the number of the ECM Honda used to replace the recalled units.
Looks like you're right. The updated ECM from my '03 (I put the original back in, as the replacement ECM caused the engine to stall under certain conditions) has the -305 P/N.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The new replacement ecm had 305 and the name Keihin on the part..... The old ecm had AO1 and Epit for name,, i think, or something like that, I just cant recall the name???? I put my old ECM back in and runs much better,,,,,,,, No stuttering and falling on it face now.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts