GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice from individuals with experience in the tire industry, not speculation, on using a tire manufactured six years ago. I have an Avon front tire manufactured on 4203, or the 42nd week of 2003. What are your thoughts about using this tire.

The tire has been stored vertically in the dark.

I only need it for 6k as it must be replaced at that time for a long ride, which will require a new tire. I really don't want to spend the money for a new front for only 6k miles if I don't have to, especially as there is no way for me to save the used tire for remounting.

TIA

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I would NOT buy it; but if I owned it I would use it. It will be relatively hard and not as grippy as an Avon should be, but if I were a betting man, my bet would be that it will still out-grip any new Dunlop GL1800 tire. It has been stored improperly and may take a while to round-out. BullDog might be the best expert tire guy we have on here, ask him.

prs

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Ride it Like you, Own it!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It is probably hard and inflexible. You'll know when you try to mount it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You bet YOUR Life on it ! Y O U R C H O I C E !

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wouldnt pay for it but If I stored it for the 5+ years put it on and ride. Being a front tire your going to know if its out of round really quick !

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looking for advice from individuals with experience in the tire industry, not speculation, on using a tire manufactured six years ago. I have an Avon front tire manufactured on 4203, or the 42nd week of 2003. What are your thoughts about using this tire.

The tire has been stored vertically in the dark.

I only need it for 6k as it must be replaced at that time for a long ride, which will require a new tire. I really don't want to spend the money for a new front for only 6k miles if I don't have to, especially as there is no way for me to save the used tire for remounting.

TIA
I would check with the manufacturer. Dunlop's are good for 6 years. I don't know about Avons.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The cheapo IRC tires on my daily rider (a 2001 Savage) are nine years old (that bike lives on a diet of very short hops).

The tires are still grippy, but I think that is because they are being used regularly and a slick "skin" does not have a chance to develop.

If I were to mount a tire that was NOS and was six years old, I'd be really careful for the first few hundred miles, until some "fresh" rubber was exposed.

JMHO.

·
Registered
357 Posts
if it looks like new it is new i would use it. being that old it probably does'nt have up to date design technology. on second thought that is the only reason i would'nt use it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't think I would worry about the grip -- that will be ok. Grip is not really the issue with old tires. I'd use it, but I would pay close attention to it and keep a sharp eye out for any signbs of delamination or other construction problems. It's old tires coming apart that is the problem. The glues and binders that tires go together with are much more likely to fail after a few years.

But I think you are still inside the window. The first well publicised old tire warnings came in the early 2000's, when several British-based Tire industry groups issued warnings that previously unused tires should not be sold if they were more than 6 years old, and that all tires should be replaced 10 years after their manufacture.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't claim to be an industry expert, but here's my 2 cents worth. Visual inspection, while sometimes useful for obvious defects, will not give you any guarantees. The tire is borderline in terms of age. The only way you really find out is by using it and that could be dangerous to you health. A blowout in a car is one thing, but on a motorcycle it could be your last mistake. My rule for my motorcycle tires is change them sooner rather that later and if in doubt replace it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would use but would wear it in for a few hundred miles before I got on the throttle.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Use it !

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Not sure a true "tire expert" could give you any definitive advice. Think it's going to just be your choice based on how comfortable you are with using it. Some here will say use it, some will say NEVER!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have 8 motorcycles, and other than the new 2008 Goldwing, my "newest" tire is probably 12 yrs old and all work just fine. I used to buy tires like 10 or 12 at a time and keep them in the garage until I needed them. Now, this was before the "anything over 2 years old will blow out and probably kill you" safety scares of modern times. No one had a problem with old tires then or now except the select few you'll always read the headlines on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts