GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned this morning that the compact flash card connector that was used on the older Nav bikes is no longer avail. However, there might be a suitable substitute for it. I have ordered one and will hopefully get it by next Thursday for a look-see. I will update this thread when I know if it will work or not. So anyone that has bent or broken their pins in their connector, there might be a fix for it. For those of you that have not damaged the pins yet, be very careful when you insert the card for an update of the maps, don't push hard, if it takes much effort to push it in at all, it's not going in straight.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the new connector and it looks good, I will be getting a unit that needs it soon and we'll see if it fits right and works.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Good to know Rob. Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned the older GPS and CF cards - My question regarding the GPS - is it worth upgrading the maps for an 08? I use a couple of Garmins on the bike (zumo and nuvi) so don't really use the installed one much - but there are times... What would an upgrade gain me, besides a lighter wallet? :shrug:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know Rob. Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned the older GPS and CF cards - My question regarding the GPS - is it worth upgrading the maps for an 08? I use a couple of Garmins on the bike (zumo and nuvi) so don't really use the installed one much - but there are times... What would an upgrade gain me, besides a lighter wallet? :shrug:
That's a good question for those that have upgraded it.:shrug:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Two thoughts... first the step-by-by board has probably one of the longest running instruction thread on how to update your NAVI to the latest everything.... currently 1360 posts and 255,324 views... :shock: second thought, ah never mind...

·
Registered
152 Posts
You will need the newer firmware, which is free, see the long thread for instructions and source.

I upgraded maps using Open Source Maps which are also free. I posted a thread on how to do it on the Tech Board about a year ago.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
There have been 2 updates out for the 08, the last was in 2013. Hope that helps. I had the first one done in around 2010 and I liked the difference. I only use the stock one as a map, never punch in any destinations, she sounds like my wife to much. :22yikes:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That's a good question for those that have upgraded it.:shrug:
I wasted $147.00 soon after I bought my Wing and still only use the OEM nav for zoomed in anticipation of upcoming twisties, zooming way out to visually see major roads that I may want to take, and lastly, I use the particular display screen that tells me how far to the next exit and/or shows the next major highway crossing the expressway that will probably have an all night gas station.

Other than that, I rely on my Zumo and my Nuvi.

Sometimes do not use either the OEM nav or the Garmins.......I did a BBG from Florida to Michigan without using anything except a 3X5 note card naming the intended expressways from Slidell, LA to MI. However, I used the Zumo (with no route entered) only to indicate the overall miles and overall miles per hour.

cranky pants......aka gramps

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: got the GPS and the new connector was the exact replacement part minus the ejector button and associated parts. I removed the ejector parts from the damaged connector and installed them onto the new connector and then removed the bad connector from the GPS unit and installed the new connector and it works perfectly. Yeah! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts