GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy wants to ride again....
He's very handy ( matainance wise ), Had a older B M W . Very insterested in the above wings ,
( strenghts / weakness's ect . )Or Honda Cruser's Comments Please ..........Thx

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My son has a GL1100 that he got for a good price. The engine itself runs good, but there is little support for parts anymore. I rebuilt the carbs for him, and it took quite a while to find complete kits. He ended up getting lucky on Ebay, bought 4 still in the original packages. Finding tupperware for it is going to be a nightmare. He also scrapped the original air suspension and went with Progressive springs/shocks front and rear because the system wouldn't hold pressure and the springs were shot. It's a good thing your friend is handy, he'll need it to keep one of those older machines running. :wink:

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Out of all of them I like the looks of the 1200s the best. If I was a good mechanic I might have kept the one I had. I really liked it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have him get the newest he can afford. That being said, I bought an 82 GL1100 for 1200.00 had 29k on it. Ebay became my best freind....I ordered an old set of carbs, practiced rebuilding them, then rebuilt mine. Rebuilt the brakes, actually went over the bike with a fine toothed comb. I had to since the local dealer would not touch it, they said it was to old. Once I did all the work to it I rode the heck out of it, all over. Most fun I have had till I bought the 1800. I ended up selling it for 2400.00. I hope the guy that bought it is having lots of fun with it.

The one big difference I noticed between the 1800 and the 1100 is the turning. The 1100 wants to righten itself and would fight me in the turn. The 1800 goes into the turn and pretty much is hands off, no effort to negotiate a turn.

In either case I doubt he will be disapointed. Their is a 88 GL1500 in Martinsburg Wv for 7k.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I love the 1100. My last 1100 served me faithfully for 10 years. I didn't buy a 1200 or a 1500 because I thought they were ugly, and didn't like the way they handle. That said, of the three choices, I would probably recommend a 1500. The 1100 is the more fun to ride of the three, but it's geared for the days of 55 mph speed limits. I felt the 1200 was horribly awkward. If I had to choose between the 3 of them today, I'd go with a 1500.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If he opts for a 1200, check the stator and the stator connection for corrosion. If the stator goes on those old fours, engine has to come out for replacement. Early 1500s rode like a hundred feet of fenceline, but were comfortable and dependable. Honda improved the handling in the 92 and newer models. The 1500 Interstate does not have reverse, and the SEs has all the bells and whistles.

And the 1000s handled like a jackrabbit in its day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts