GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Well I might as well fess up before asking my question. I have been a HD man for a few decades. A couple of weeks ago a took the leap of faith and I must say my Fuel Injected bagger has nothing on my 07 Goldwing!! The wing is faster, smoother, better lookin and more comfortable. I luvs it!! My fellow HD riders are lookin alot closer after being unable to keep up with me the last few days!!!
Now I have just rolled over 600 on the odometer and have oil and filter in hand but don't have a clue where the filter and drain plug are at. Can some one clue me in?

·
Registered
323 Posts
At the very front of the motor case on the bottom. Just behind the front lower cowl. Just take a peek, you really cant miss the drain and filter.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Left side bottom front of engine. I just got though changing the oil and filter on my '06 at 2000 miles.

I used the cup type filter wrench that you have to use a 3/8" drive ratchet on.

Easier than the GL1500 oil filter was to change.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
17mm drain plug, and don't listen to the Honda instructions about taking off the front cowl.

HDL has filters for the best price I've found (oil too..) I have used the non-moly Honda oil and Honda filter BUT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE IT'S JUST MY OPINION! :shock: :shock: (sorry...the oil and tires thing starts at the drop of a feather...)

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
If you get this style of oil filter wrench available from HDL, you have the easiest time possible removing and tightening the oil filter and won't have to remove the front lower cowl.

1.Put the bike on the center stand,
2.remove the drain plug and crush/sealing washer,
3. let the oil drain (about 4 quarts),
4. remove the filter (a little more oil will drain),
5. replace the crush/sealing washer
6. put the drain plug back in
7. put on new oil filter and tighten properly (finger tight plus 1/2 turn)
8. put in 3.9 quarts of AMSOIL motorcylce oil (available from Bulldog)
9. go ride and enjoy.

You will want to be sure and put a pan under the bike between steps 1 and 2 to catch the oil. Mke sure it will hold at least 4 quarts. Don't ask how I know.
You won't get a proper reading on the dip stick until you've run the engine for a while and then let it set. Just put in the 3.9 quarts and forget it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
A little side note:

If you have a belly pan installed on the bike, you might want to stuff a rag between the BP and the engine where the fiter is. This will cause a dam, and not allow any of the drain oil to drip back on the BP while draining. Hence you won't come home at night and find a puddle under your bike and think that your bike is leaking.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
ScooterK is right. You can take off the filter with a $10 filter wrench or a cup as mentioned without taking off the front part of the faring. Buy your Honda filters by the case (10) and split with another 1800 rider. I think you can get them cheaper by the case and is easier to handle. Don't forget to also get a bag of crush washers to change each out each time you remove the drain plug.

I am a wrench nerd, among other things, and if I can change the oil and filter, anyone can. Use any good oil until about 4,000 miles then change to synthetic. Change the oil/filter every 8,000 miles. You will get tired of looking at that new Wing long before you wear it out!!

JMHO, as everyone has a different oil change time period. However, this is mine and I am always right.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil Change Success

Thanks ScooterK, Kikker, DASimle, CJS, Bulldog, George Lewis, DavidS,
for the reply and the great advice. 20 minutes and it was done. Should I get future oil, washers and filters from the local dealer or is there a source online? Thanks again everybody. I will read up on highway peg and footboard feedback before making a decision.

·
Registered
615 Posts
lordgoose, Bulldawg is a distributor for Amsoil. Great guy, don't tell him I told you that :lol: Joy

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Re: Oil Change Success

lordgoose said:
Thanks ScooterK, Kikker, DASimle, CJS, Bulldog, George Lewis, DavidS,
for the reply and the great advice. 20 minutes and it was done. Should I get future oil, washers and filters from the local dealer or is there a source online? Thanks again everybody. I will read up on highway peg and footboard feedback before making a decision.
Get your oil, lubricants, filters, and crush washers from Bulldog. Just click on the Hitt-N-Miss link in his post above and give him a call. You'll enjoy talking to him, or if your lucky Meesh will answer the phone and you'll enjoy talking to her even more.

www.hittnmiss.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts