GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday I went to the local BMW dealer and bought an Olympia GT Air Transition jacket. I have been looking for an "all season" jacket and decided on the Olympia for a variety of reasons.
Immediately after purchase I went for a ride of about 150 miles. When I started out, I removed the liner from the jacket and opened the sleeve vents, the temperature being about 85 with no wind. Riding north toward Cheyenne, the wind started and the temperature dropped. By the time I got into Laramie, it was 45 degrees and the wind was wicked ( I don't know the wind speed, but it was kind of "turn hard right to go straight" sort of wind). I stopped in Laramie for gas and zipped up the sleeve vents. Heading back south, I ran into a bit of rain, worse wind, and temps down to about 40. By the time I got back to Fort Collins, it was 85 and mostly calm.
I didn't get cold in the 40 degree temps, even with the cross wind. I didn't get hot in the 85 degree temps, until I hit Fort Collins and had to slow down to 30 mph.
This is a pretty expensive jacket, but I think I'm going to be very happy with it. I expect that, with the front and back vents opened, this jacket should be comfortable up to 95-100 degrees, as long as I'm moving.

For anyone looking for a versatile jacket, this is a good one to consider.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Comp

Competition Accessories.com has great touring jackets by Fieldsheer on sale right now. Almost 70% off I see. I bought a jacket from them last week for cooler temps. Excellent deals right now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I recently bought the same Olympia GT Air Transition jacket. Only worn it once so far and my impressions are similar. I got the one with the bright yellow (almost neon) trim for safety. It is just enough yellow to be noticed by everyone, but not too much, if you know what I mean.

Dave

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Thanks for posting this as i am seriously considering buying the jacket with the hi viz color. I have found it for around $299.us. I am heading to Vegas in October so if anyone knows of a dealer there, pm me the address so i can purchase them. It is $399 here so even with the exchange rate i am ahead of the game

C

·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting the Competition Accessories sales info. Just bought a mesh jacket and (allegedly) saved a bundle. :coffee1:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here is a link to the Olympia photos and description:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/gt_air/gt_air.htm

I ordered myOlympia
GT All Seasons Jacket from Tellico Moto, TN. Call Mike, 423-253-2088. I think you will be glad you called. They run one size small. I take an XL in Firstgear jackets and a XXL in Olympia. Their website is [email protected].

Dave

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I've got a silver air glide and my only complait is it's fading. But it has seen 1000 hours of use. I understand now there are some preventative measures that can be taken. You might want to look into them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I and the wife have the Yellow Hi Viz vest and the Hi Viz Red jacket from them .Great jackets. they are our every day wear. One for summer and one for fall and spring.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Would you care to elaborate as to what the preventative measures might be?
H-man
Seasoned Member

A light, thorough spray application of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard onto a clean jacket will protect for a few months duration until a reapplication is recommended.

www.303products.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts