GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Olympia mesh pants and was wondering if there any cooler then a pair of jeans or synthetic fabric pants. Reviews I've read don't mention what kind of machine the person was riding so if they were on a naked bike air flow compared to the wing is much greater.I do wear the LD Comfort gear.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a pair recently. He wears shorts under them. He says they are much cooler than bluejeans and provide more protection. He's got a 2011 CVO Road Glide and a 2010 Connie.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I wear mesh riding pants every time I ride and I can guarantee you they are much cooler than wearing jeans. Just wear your LD underwear and the mesh pants and you'll be cooler than if you were wearing short pants.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have their black jacket and the silver mesh pants. The silver gets dirty faster, but is much cooler than the black jacket. I wear shorts under them when traveling at speed and they are waaay cooler than jeans

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well.......

To me, they are NOT cooler when standing around with no breeze in 80-90* weather unless you zip off the bottoms. BUT they are minimally cooler and certainly more protective when Riding. I use them when riding an FJR aggressively with other Sport Bikers. The saying amongst experienced Sport Bikers; if it's too hot for proper Riding Gear, it's too hot to Ride! The Novices usually learn this the hard(read painful) way.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the Olympia Airglide mesh pants. In the hot weather, I wear the pants over underwear only. They are much cooler than jeans. I get a nice breeze thru the mesh, and no direct sun on my skin.

The "recon" model is designed to have the lower pants section zip off, so you can wear them as shorts also. When worn as shorts only, they came below my knees, and I did not like them that long. I like the idea of the pants converting to shorts, just did not like the fit on me. Also, the leg zipper is not as long, in fact considerably shorter and is less convenient to take off/on.

In cold weather, I wear the Olympia mesh pants over blue jeans. They do not make my legs warmer, but do offer abrasion protection. Very easy to take off/on. Full length zipper and well made. Here is a link to the pair I am referring to:
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/mensairglidepant/menairglidepant.htm

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Depending on the temps you ride in (higher than 90F) textile is cooler than mesh.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on the temps you ride in (higher than 90F) textile is cooler than mesh.
I think what I'm looking at are a combination of the two but I was looking at the Tour Master Mens Venture Air Pants which have more mesh from what I can see. I don't see myself riding in 95+ weather if I can help it,just no fun in my book.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mesh vs textile

I've heard many experienced folks saying that textile is cooler than mesh for extreme temps. That may be true...at highway speed. HOWEVER, I insist that if you're in stop and go traffic you want mesh.

And yes, Olympia is great gear. I've got the one piece mesh "Stealth" suit, and with a T-shirt and shorts underneath it is great. Does have sort of a "top-gun" look to it. (In a dorky ATGATT kinda way;))

I also just bought the Olympia Airglide 3 for the wife, and she likes them:cool:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I just bought the airglide pants on the 16th. Dealer had 15% off on them. $182.

I didn't go for the Recon pants because I wasn't interested in the shorts conversion.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've heard many experienced folks saying that textile is cooler than mesh for extreme temps. That may be true...at highway speed. HOWEVER, I insist that if you're in stop and go traffic you want mesh.
The experienced folks are correct :). The hotter the temps the more protection from air flow a rider needs. Moving or not, when the ambiant temp is above 93F the heat flow is inward from the air to the body instead of outward. Textile traps the evaporative cooled air, mesh does not. So even in stop and go traffic if you move enough to have any evaporative cycle textile will be cooler. With mesh you are in ambiant stopped or moving. Mesh will be cooler than textile while riding in temps below about 90F, when wearing textile that advantage can be negated by starting the evaporative cycle by the mid-80's.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I love my Recon pants. Been wearing them for over 3 years now. I almost never ride in jeans anymore. I wear them in all temps. Between 45 - 70 I wear LDcomfort tights under them. Below that I just put my Rain pants over them. They have allowed me to cut way back on the clothing I pack for trips.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I just got the recon 3 pants. Got the pewter color, definitely darker than most of the pictures on their website would lead to believe. But definitely lighter than black.

Went for a ride Saturday with temps in the upper 80's. I definitely was cooler than my normal blue jeans. Liked the armor cushion on my knees against the tank. Thought they could use a bit more padding around the hip area, but then they would look a wee bit puffy in the areas that don't need to look puffy. You can tell they're riding pants when the bottoms are on, but don't look bad as cargo shorts with the bottoms zipped off. They're comfortable.

I use the ldcomfort shorts, overall good combination. I will defer to Bubba1 regarding the high temp riding - he definitely has the experience in that area.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with the Olympia Airglide 3 Pants in silver,I would have gone with the Recon's but there wasn't a light color to choose from.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I just tested this Olympia mesh recons on a trip to Colorado and back. I wore LD comfort wear (tights) under them. It was 106 degrees for five hours of riding through Kansas/Oklahoma. We would wet down the LD Comfort wear (long sleeve shirts & long pants) with squirt bottles of water at each fuel stop through our mesh. It was wonderful! On the trip home one day we tried wearing just our Kevlar jeans without LD Comfort and was miserable. I dont doubt what the folks say about textile, but we didnt want to purchase new jackets and we were very comfortable on our ride through the heat with the mesh and LD Comfort wear. My wife said the LD Comfortwear kept her skin from drying out from the wind and was much more comfortable especially with the mesh pants.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts