GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention! How do you riders of textile mesh and other riding gear wash and care for them? I was going to lend a mesh riding jacket to a coworker/friend (new rider interested in gear - a great thing) but only after I had hand washed it. This jacket was diiiiirrrrtttty and I really didn't realize how bad it was until it hit the shower/tub. I hope we are washing our gear from time to time and not on the 1%ers schedules.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine gets run through the washing machine (perm press cycle) about 3-4 times a year. I pretreat with Shout (I have white/silver gear) and the grime comes right out. Just skip the fabric softener.

Although I have thrown it all in the dryer on occasion, hang-drying is preferred :cool:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I put them in the dishwasher. That way the cloth and threads so not get fuzzed and come apart.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Now that I have your attention! How do you riders of textile mesh and other riding gear wash and care for them? I was going to lend a mesh riding jacket to a coworker/friend (new rider interested in gear - a great thing) but only after I had hand washed it. This jacket was diiiiirrrrtttty and I really didn't realize how bad it was until it hit the shower/tub. I hope we are washing our gear from time to time and not on the 1%ers schedules.
Well, I follow the instructions on the label for my gear. It says machine wash cold, gentle or delicate cycle. Lay out flat to dry. If necessary, a "cool" iron may be used. In big letters are the words; "Do Not Dry Clean." :doorag:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Remove the armor.

Wash in washer on cold and delicate.

Air dry.

Put the armor back.

I usually do my removable helmet pads at this point as well, just toss em in with the other gear.

Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did remove the armour and hand washed the jacket. I did however wash my riding pants (Firstgear Mesh Techs) that had maybe 15 days of riding on them and they wear really nasty too.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I give my jacket to Gwyn and tell her it's starting to stink. A couple days later it looks new and has a pine fresh odor. Since it's clean I know she's doing more than spraying it with Fabreeze.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have the perfect way to wash my textiles and they come out perfect every time . . .

I let my wife do it.

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I empty my pockets and give it to my wife. She takes it from there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Usually a ride in the rain but this year, that has been scarce! :p

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I remove the armor, put everything, except armor, in the front load wahsing machine, on gentle, take it our when finished spinning and hang dry. Works great, but I do not do it nearly often enough.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Remove armor. Throw it in the wash. Dry it in the dryer. Reinstall the armor. This method has worked well for years.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Remove the armor, dump it in a bucket of car wash soap or laundry soap, shake a few times, then hang on a lawn chair and hose real good with high pressure hose, then hang to dry, insert armor, go for a ride.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You are supposed to WASH your motorcycle gear ??? :22yikes:

I think the smell keeps the deer off the road in front of me ... :thumbup:

More dirt = more protection ... :shrug:

... just joking ... hand-wash in the bathtub after removing armor ...

·
Registered
269 Posts
First I spray the entire suit with 409, greased lightening, etc then I wear the gear while riding in a torrential down pour rain storm. Wash Cycle

Afterwards, I find another rain storm and ride thru it. Rinse Cycle.

Finally, lower the windshield and ride on the interstate highway. Spin Cycle.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I keep a small spray bottle of soap in the front compartment of the bike. When it starts to rain I just spray myself down and ride on!:tongue:

Hector

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts