GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, we got up to 62 degrees around here. Had to ride, & got over 160 (s)miles in. We figured we would stop by a friends house. Our friend has a real steep gravel drive, about 150 ft. long. As soon as we pulled into the drive, I noticed they had just gotten a new load of gravel. We managed to get about 3/4 the way up, but was spinning the rear tire pretty bad. Carol asked, "you want me to get off"? I said sure, it might help. Well it didn't help, but when it started going side ways, it just started going over. I wish we could've had someone with a video camera. Try to picture this. Carol's walking along by the left side as it starts to go over on the right. She's pulling on the left grab handle, I'm trying to hold it up with my right leg, & the loose gravel is moving under my foot. Well, over it went. She was more excited, than I was. No damage to Wing, or us. Just a bruised pride, on my part. After four Wings, & aprox. 40,000 miles, I finally did it. Watch that loose gravel, especially with a steep slope.

P.S. I usually tell you all everything I do, so I figured I just as well tell this story also. :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
dropped

Confession is good for the soul.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Have not tipped the boat yet. Glad you and the bike are OK.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't care what anybody says Verdayne - I like your style. :oops:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rode my '99 GL1500 from CA to just east of St. Louis on the Illinois side back in 2001(?). Rode it 2K+ miles without incident. Pulled into my brother's driveway (gravel mind you), put the kick-stand down, leaned it over and it went WAY over. Just went with it, laughing all the way down. No damage, but both my brother and I were in stitches.

·
Registered
224 Posts
tipping over

I know the feeling, new 06 Wing and I are leaving for work at 6:30am this morning as usual. I have circular drive that is gravel, I make the turn a little wider than usual hit a little grass and down she goes. Now it was 38 degrees when I left so the problem was the little bit of frost on the grass.

Moved the lighted floorboards a little but no damage to the bike, thank god for the engine guards. This was the first time I have had to tilt a Wing back up from the guards, thank god for the post on the board on how to do this. It helped!!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
As soon as we pulled into the drive, I noticed they had just gotten a new load of gravel. We managed to get about 3/4 the way up, but was spinning the rear tire pretty bad. Carol asked, "you want me to get off"? I said sure, it might help. Well it didn't help, but when it started going side ways, it just started going over.

P.S. I usually tell you all everything I do, so I figured I just as well tell this story also. :wink:
See what happens when you have a "motorcycle" rear tire installed on a Gold Wing! We (Dark Siders) told you so... :shock: :p :lol:

We're glad you and yours are alright and no damage to the Wing. :D

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Glad you're ok...

Why is it parking lot, driveway spills invoke laughter from all involved???

Always does with me, what else ya gonna do? might as well laugh about it.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Packed gravel is ok but smaller loose gravel, or pea gravel on top of a paved surface is the enemy of every Winger. :twisted:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I am also glad you or Carol did not get hurt.

Also glad the bike was not hurt. It is not if but when we will drop these darn things. :wink: :wink:

Ross

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
What a deal! Sorry to read you went down ( easy) .

Gravel is a tough item "to read' as you approach it for how stable it is.

Last year I turned around at a construction zone near my house. For a short distance they had round smooth type river rock down on the dirt to control 'dust' ..... all cities here have regulations on dust control during construction.

Cars were leaving some deep ruts as they drove through the rocks.... I took the easy way out, turned around.

:eek:4:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Glad you and the wife are ok. The bike too. Tell your wife it's all her fault. If she would have used her right hand on the grab handle and given you a good shove with her left the bike may have stayed upright. Just kidding! :lol:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Todd Graham said:
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Dude, they're not mutually exclusive. Besides, having a healthy relationship with the Creator helps you appreciate His handiwork that much more...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
[quote="Todd Graham":1acklauu]I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Dude, they're not mutually exclusive. Besides, having a healthy relationship with the Creator helps you appreciate His handiwork that much more...[/quote:1acklauu]

Dude, does this offend you?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the Club
The select few, mine has been over twice, once on accident. And once to change the tire. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Todd Graham said:
Dude, does this offend you?
Um... nope! Did I offend you? If so, please accept my apology!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Four wings and 40k miles? I could only dream of it. You should be ashamed of yourself! :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts