GL1800Riders Forums banner

On 12/16/06, I Finally laid it over

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Silver Fox 
#1 ·
Today, we got up to 62 degrees around here. Had to ride, & got over 160 (s)miles in. We figured we would stop by a friends house. Our friend has a real steep gravel drive, about 150 ft. long. As soon as we pulled into the drive, I noticed they had just gotten a new load of gravel. We managed to get about 3/4 the way up, but was spinning the rear tire pretty bad. Carol asked, "you want me to get off"? I said sure, it might help. Well it didn't help, but when it started going side ways, it just started going over. I wish we could've had someone with a video camera. Try to picture this. Carol's walking along by the left side as it starts to go over on the right. She's pulling on the left grab handle, I'm trying to hold it up with my right leg, & the loose gravel is moving under my foot. Well, over it went. She was more excited, than I was. No damage to Wing, or us. Just a bruised pride, on my part. After four Wings, & aprox. 40,000 miles, I finally did it. Watch that loose gravel, especially with a steep slope.

P.S. I usually tell you all everything I do, so I figured I just as well tell this story also. :wink:

#2 ·
dropped

Confession is good for the soul.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Rode my '99 GL1500 from CA to just east of St. Louis on the Illinois side back in 2001(?). Rode it 2K+ miles without incident. Pulled into my brother's driveway (gravel mind you), put the kick-stand down, leaned it over and it went WAY over. Just went with it, laughing all the way down. No damage, but both my brother and I were in stitches.

#8 ·
tipping over

I know the feeling, new 06 Wing and I are leaving for work at 6:30am this morning as usual. I have circular drive that is gravel, I make the turn a little wider than usual hit a little grass and down she goes. Now it was 38 degrees when I left so the problem was the little bit of frost on the grass.

Moved the lighted floorboards a little but no damage to the bike, thank god for the engine guards. This was the first time I have had to tilt a Wing back up from the guards, thank god for the post on the board on how to do this. It helped!!!!

#9 ·
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
As soon as we pulled into the drive, I noticed they had just gotten a new load of gravel. We managed to get about 3/4 the way up, but was spinning the rear tire pretty bad. Carol asked, "you want me to get off"? I said sure, it might help. Well it didn't help, but when it started going side ways, it just started going over.

P.S. I usually tell you all everything I do, so I figured I just as well tell this story also. :wink:
See what happens when you have a "motorcycle" rear tire installed on a Gold Wing! We (Dark Siders) told you so... :shock: :p :lol:

We're glad you and yours are alright and no damage to the Wing. :D

#10 ·
Glad you're ok...

Why is it parking lot, driveway spills invoke laughter from all involved???

Always does with me, what else ya gonna do? might as well laugh about it.

#14 ·
What a deal! Sorry to read you went down ( easy) .

Gravel is a tough item "to read' as you approach it for how stable it is.

Last year I turned around at a construction zone near my house. For a short distance they had round smooth type river rock down on the dirt to control 'dust' ..... all cities here have regulations on dust control during construction.

Cars were leaving some deep ruts as they drove through the rocks.... I took the easy way out, turned around.

:eek:4:

#15 ·
Glad you and the wife are ok. The bike too. Tell your wife it's all her fault. If she would have used her right hand on the grab handle and given you a good shove with her left the bike may have stayed upright. Just kidding! :lol:

#16 ·
Todd Graham said:
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Dude, they're not mutually exclusive. Besides, having a healthy relationship with the Creator helps you appreciate His handiwork that much more...

#17 ·
Son of Thunder said:
[quote="Todd Graham":1acklauu]I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Dude, they're not mutually exclusive. Besides, having a healthy relationship with the Creator helps you appreciate His handiwork that much more...[/quote:1acklauu]

Dude, does this offend you?

#20 ·
Four wings and 40k miles? I could only dream of it. You should be ashamed of yourself! :roll:

#21 ·
Son of Thunder said:
[quote="Todd Graham":1penz9ez]
Dude, does this offend you?
Um... nope! Did I offend you? If so, please accept my apology![/quote:1penz9ez]

No offense taken. I don't go to church but I have faith. I saw this quote somewhere and it fit me. I get chastised by some for not being at church on Sunday mornings. I have my reasons that I won't go into here and I'll answer for it if I'm wrong. I certainly don't want to come across as blasphemous.

#22 ·
Verdayne,
I can feel you pain friend buy I can top that.

Several years ago while living in Michigan, I decided to go primitive camping in the UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan on my 1987 Aspencade.

The road into the camp ground started off as hard dirt and fairly smooth and free of rocks. The camp ground was about 6 miles from the main highway so I proceeded down the dirt road.

As I drove approximately 3 miles I notice the road surface was starting to turn into sallow sand and the further I went the deeper the sand got.

I was about 1-1/2 miles from the primitive campground when the loose sand turned into a bottomless pit. Needless to say, at that point the Wing suddenly came to an abrupt stop standing upright while I got off of it without it falling over.

I was there in that one spot for 5 hours before anyone came by to help me.

#23 ·
I did the same about 10 Months ago, 2-up on our Kawasaki 2000.
I managed to do it at a flea market with lots of people around. :oops:
Thank goodness I had just put after market engine guard-crash bars
on.

Hey, if we are going to lay them down, I think we picked the right MPH. :D

Herb

#24 ·
There are only two types of people that have Goldwings. Those that have laid it over and those that will. I've been there once or twice, maybe three or so times but whose counting. The crash guards work great. It could be four but I'm not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.