GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I returned the front Cobra because it tended to give a little wobble right before stopping.

I replace it with my favorite 709. The best front

I rode with 709/Cobra combo and still felt a little, though ever so slight wobble at very low, near stopping speed.

I put my Metz in the back again with the 709 front. The front wobble went away and my bike sits on the freeway much better. More stable at high speeds

BINGO!

My take on motto sneakers is that the best combo is 709/Metz. The Cobra seems a bit shifty on the lean compared to the Metz. I get more bite from the Metz.

The Cobra rear are definitely taller. I put both, on rim and inflated side by side and one can see to the naked eye that the Cobra is a much taller tire.

Also, the Cobra seems to have a softer compound. Either because its taller or softer it appears more comfy than the Metz. I can dig my nail on the tires and the Cobra seems softer than the Metz. I dont know if that would translate on durability issues.

I tried rough measurement with a ruler and a tape. It seemed to me the Cobra measured 3/8 to 5/8 higher...give or take.

I am decomissioning the Cobra rear to spare tire...

I hope you enjoyed this trauma

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Nando , I used to run the Stone/Metz combo worked nice , but got fed up with the Metz bulges , gone to Stones all around . :doorag:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I returned the front Cobra because it tended to give a little wobble right before stopping.

I replace it with my favorite 709. The best front

I rode with 709/Cobra combo and still felt a little, though ever so slight wobble at very low, near stopping speed.

I put my Metz in the back again with the 709 front. The front wobble went away and my bike sits on the freeway much better. More stable at high speeds

BINGO!

My take on motto sneakers is that the best combo is 709/Metz. The Cobra seems a bit shifty on the lean compared to the Metz. I get more bite from the Metz.

The Cobra rear are definitely taller. I put both, on rim and inflated side by side and one can see to the naked eye that the Cobra is a much taller tire.

Also, the Cobra seems to have a softer compound. Either because its taller or softer it appears more comfy than the Metz. I can dig my nail on the tires and the Cobra seems softer than the Metz. I dont know if that would translate on durability issues.

I tried rough measurement with a ruler and a tape. It seemed to me the Cobra measured 3/8 to 5/8 higher...give or take.

I am decomissioning the Cobra rear to spare tire...

I hope you enjoyed this trauma
Thanks Nando for the report i knew the cobra rear to be a bit taller hopefully should be ok for speedo error and comfort well see how the front stacks up i dont think it will be better than 709 iam getting my cobra set soon

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strider,
That is a sad commentary not just on Metz but also on other motto sneakers for the Wingabego

My evaluation is that current OEM are just simply inadequate for the job of touring. Even car tires do better on the Wing for touring.

Fan,
Good luck on those sneaker. They are not bad. The higher rear does comply with the gear ratio almost as efficiently as the 180/70s. They handle well. I just prefer the feel, the height and the flatter shape of the Metz...not the noise though. The Cobras seem quieter.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Had Stones once. The front went badly out of round at 6K. May have been just a bad tire. Have not been back to the Stones

I now use Metzlers exclusively and have had good luck. I have the Traxxion set up and the tires stay round and quiet past 10K

Why is a DS going to MT if CTs are better?:coffee1:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The moral of this story is; choices are good.

laen; I hope your experience with B'stones was a fluke. It is probably the highest value tire available unless Shinco's are better then I would expect.

Lots of folks are dedicated to Metzeler and maybe because they are of a more gently rounded cross section which proviles for a bigger foot print and stable ride. They wear well and grip well, but mine were extrordinairly loud, even when new, and made the steering feel sluggish to me; but I seem to be the odd-ball on that issue.

I really liked the more razor sharp profile of Avon Venom R, felt great to me at any speed and steering was very nimble, but still a pretty loud running tire when well worn. Avon Cobras have a cross sectional profile inbetween Venoms and B'stones. So far, my favorite tire, grippy, quiet, and nimble of steering. But I get the impression that one man's "nimble" is another's "unsteady".

I (knock on wood) have been very fortunate that none of these good choices have induced any wobbles or instability unless worn-out and no "bad tires" yet.

prs

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are right Piegon,
Different tires seem to have preferable traits to individuals.

I wish I could run Metz on the front because of how great they grip on the back. But I am afraid to try frontal Metzerinas again, after all the stories of wobblelina-front-Metz, including my own (prior to Traxxionization). Even though, I called Max recently and asked him if he would guarantee that a frontal Metz would not wobble with the Traxxion. Serendipitously, Trialsman answered the phone and told me other Traxxioneers have had wobblings with frontal Metz...sad!

Laen, CT and MT have positive and negative traits. I am not a fanatic of either...I said it often: I dont like either one completely.

My dissatisfaction with tires remains relative to the idea that there must be a tire specifically designed for touring. Rocky said it best once: these OEM tires are more closely associated with racing tires...more so than than with a touring design...which is probably one reason why people do darksiding. A CT is a great alternative for all the characteristics lacking in a motorcycle racing tire.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 09T003

Synopsis:
Pirelli Tire, LLC is recalling certain Metzeler ME880 Marathon motorcycle tires, sizes 13/90 B16 M/C TL 73H and 140/90 B16 M/C TL 77H, manufactured between June 22 and September 13, 2008. These tires were stamped with incorrect load range and inflation pressure information which fails to conform to the labeling requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Motor Vehicles with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) and Motorcycles." The purpose of this standard is to provide safe operational performance levels. Metzeler will notify owners and replace the noncompliant tires free of charge. The recall began on November 18, 2008. Owners may contact Metzeler Consumer Affairs at 1-877-202-4993. For more information for this particular recall, please go to 09T003

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I haven't had good luck with the Avons. I found they like to follow tar lines too much. They grip okay in the wet but the wandering rear on anything but smooth roads scared me. :eek:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i put a front metz ME88O marathon on awhile ago never again :twisted: i had nothing but problems with it developed a bulge even when new the wobble was to severe took it off trew it in the tip :yes1: put a stone 709 magic carpet ride :yes1:

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I haven't had good luck with the Avons. I found they like to follow tar lines too much. They grip okay in the wet but the wandering rear on anything but smooth roads scared me. :eek:
WOW!

Which model of Avon and which size?

prs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts