GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought two new HJC IS-Max II helmets, had them custom painted to match the trike. We have always used Bluetooth systems (Sena, Cardo, iClear) previously.
When we plug the helmets into our system connections (2008 GL800) we have radio but no intercom. I am under the impression that the intercom should override the radio, aux etc when we speak. We get nothing at all. Am I misunderstanding how it is supposed to work or is there something I'm not doing?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Did you press the intercom button to turn it on? There should be Icom label on the display if it is active.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Take a look on your audio control panel, in addition to the FM on off control button, there should be a button that represents the intercom. Push that button, the intercom symbol should appear on the dash display and your intercom should be active. Pushing the left (volume) knob should allow you to turn the intercom volume up and down, pushing it again will allow you to set the mute function so the radio volume goes down when you talk on the intercom. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies: Yes we are using the I-Com and the Intercom Mute as we should. I have narrowed it down to the helmet headset itself.
One helmet works normally, front or back and with either cable.
One helmet does not work, front or back with either cable. Instead it gives a high pitched scream and/or a warble screech when plugged in.
It has to be the helmet speaker/mike connections inside the helmet.
My dealer is going to contact HJC and see what they say. May have to return it and have it "re-wired".

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It's always nice to have a second helmet set to compare to. Like you did I have isolated problems to the one in-helmet system by doing the same testing you did. :capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One helmet is being returned under warranty to be "rewired". Taking it to my mech/dealer this morning.
I was a little concerned that having them custom painted would create a perceived problem, but they said no it would not.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
That is a common problem with the older bikes. Most often it's the wire at the helmet. We use HAM and my riding buddy made an extension cord to take the strain of the coiled wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts