GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
details...

So how much did your dealer get for the nifty Honda lay down pads??:clap2:

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Of course you have to use the proper padding on the ground between the crashbars
That's why I use my front yard...just dump it over and you don't have to worry about scratching anything or remove your hiway pegs as some do... Just way too easy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I agree it's a great way to change the rear tire. I have a lift I may never use again. Instead of cardboard I bought a pack of 4 interlocking foam rubber pads for about $20. They protect the bike plus they are handy to kneel down on to protect my old knees in the shop.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
It works, IF...

For most of us, this is easy -- and the most efficient way to do it.

But there are those who don't know how to pick the bike back up.
And those who can't seem to get the bike up on the center stand, either.

That's why god made Honda dealer$.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

When they said to "lay the bike over" I thought they meant ALL the way over. And then, I couldn't figure out how to keep from scratching up SOMETHING.

I see that the center stand is deployed. Do you need to deploy the center stand in order to keep the bike far enough over to get the wheel off?

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Both Wheels Off At Same Time

If you want to take both wheels off at the same time you can put it up on center stand. Tie off the center stand so it can't fold up. Jack the front wheel off the ground and remove. Lower the jack and rest the forks on a block - the rear will come up high enough to remove even with a trailer hitch installed.

DON'T FORGET TO TIE OFF THE CENTER STAND.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Is there anything to worry about with oil running into a part of the engine or transmission that it does not normally flow into when the bike is upright....?

Just asking, as I really dont know.

Mike

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Is there anything to worry about with oil running into a part of the engine or transmission that it does not normally flow into when the bike is upright....?

Just asking, as I really dont know.

Mike
That's usually not a concern.
However... it's a really good idea to perform this procedure when the gas tank is low.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

When they said to "lay the bike over" I thought they meant ALL the way over. And then, I couldn't figure out how to keep from scratching up SOMETHING.

I see that the center stand is deployed. Do you need to deploy the center stand in order to keep the bike far enough over to get the wheel off?

Thanks
Good eye!

Yes. Before deploying the center stand, both tires are in contact with the ground.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Keeping bike upright on center stand to remove both wheels - No issues with oil or fuel. I Took the wheels off one night and got new tires mounted the next day so the bike was that way for 24 hours.

I was originally going to just do the front wheel and then take the bike to the dealer and lay it down in the parking lot to get a rear tire mounted. After I took the front wheel off I wanted to block it in case the jack did not hold. As I lowered the jack I noticed the rear come up. Couldn't get the wheel out so I put a smaller block under the forks (I forget how tall the block was - 4x4 maybe) Just as I was going to lower some more I freeked as I realized I was vertical with the center stand and about to go over center and fold up. I used strap to secure the center stand and was able to lower and get the rear tire off and out. I told the sales manager at the dealer what I had done and he has done this with his own bike. The Bike is rock solid doing this. Also - Support your front calipers so they are not hanging from their hoses.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
If you want to take both wheels off at the same time you can put it up on center stand. Tie off the center stand so it can't fold up. Jack the front wheel off the ground and remove. Lower the jack and rest the forks on a block - the rear will come up high enough to remove even with a trailer hitch installed.

DON'T FORGET TO TIE OFF THE CENTER STAND.
Here's a photo of my gal with "her feet in the stirrups":

I added the straps to the center stand after taking this photo (!)

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's a photo of my gal with "her feet in the stirrups":

I added the straps to the center stand after taking this photo (!)

I am thinking you don't have a trailer hitch and removed your rear fender so you didn't have to put her into a "nose dive" to remove the rear wheel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tires are mounted on wheels. Now doing the cleanup of calipers and lube points. That will be tomorrow. It wants to rain and I work under a shelter. No garage, so I have to work around the weather. I will probably block it next time and take rear tire out of the back. That way I will beable to decide which way I like best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts