GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed a Drive Guard after running a Snow Control for 11,500 miles. The SC still had tread, probably could have run it for 2,000 more miles, but the center had less tread than the outer (I had run it mostly in the mid 30’s on straight roads of Florida) and it was definitely more wonky than when new. Overall I was happy with the SC. Did not like the wonkiness on uneven pavement at slow speed, but a small price to pay for the convenience and safety of run flat.

Really like the DG – seems to handle every bit as good as the SC. Turns effortlessly. Rides very smooth. And if I get the extra mileage out of it that every one reports that will be a bonus. For inquiring minds, I bought it on ebay for $126 out the door. Took bike to local shop and had it mounted (wheel taken off bike, tire mounted and balanced, wheel back on bike) for $50 which I consider quite reasonable.

BTW – I rode the SC on the Tail of the Dragon last summer and absolutely had no problem with the handling of a CT on my wing. To all those who say we are crazy for using a CT – I hope they never have a blowout at high speed! I for one will never put anything but a runflat on my wing! Glad I by chance was exposed to the darkside.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You will probably like that DG but I would keep the pressure down around 28 to 30 psi. That's what I run on my full size GL1800 anyway and I had pretty good results. The DG is my second choice for a CT behind a P1.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will probably like that DG but I would keep the pressure down around 28 to 30 psi. That's what I run on my full size GL1800 anyway and I had pretty good results. The DG is my second choice for a CT behind a P1.
I have started out at 34 psi cold, will keep lowering down to 30 psi cold and make sure I am happy with the performance at lower psi. Thanks for the the suggestion.

What do you like better about the P1 compared to the DG? I was on the fence when deciding about DG vs P1.

·
Registered
506 Posts
To all those who say we are crazy for using a CT – I hope they never have a blowout at high speed! I for one will never put anything but a runflat on my wing! Glad I by chance was exposed to the darkside.
Do runflat tires not blowout ever and are runflat tires only available as CTs?
Also, guessing it was an independent tire shop that did the mounting? My Honda dealer wouldn't mount any tire they didn't sell to me and I'd guess a CT would be out of the question even if they bought it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do runflat tires not blowout ever and are runflat tires only available as CTs?
Also, guessing it was an independent tire shop that did the mounting? My Honda dealer wouldn't mount any tire they didn't sell to me and I'd guess a CT would be out of the question even if they bought it.
Runflats get flats, but you can still run on them with zero pressure due to their stiff side walls. Therefore they do not "blow out" like a non runflat tire. And yes - I used an independent bike shop.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
@gkc501 The P1 I have on now is approaching 24k miles and still has a rounder profile than the DG did at 20k. The P1 is less wonky than the DG starting out and feels more like a MT than any of 5 previous different tire brands that I have tried. I feel I have found my tire combination to stick with. I already have another P1 mounted up and ready to go but I wont need it till I leave for DV in February.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@gkc501 The P1 I have on now is approaching 24k miles and still has a rounder profile than the DG did at 20k. The P1 is less wonky than the DG starting out and feels more like a MT than any of 5 previous different tire brands that I have tried. I feel I have found my tire combination to stick with. I already have another P1 mounted up and ready to go but I wont need it till I leave for DV in February.
Good info, thank you. One last question - with the tire being asymmetrical, do you notice any difference left or right side?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have only mounted them outside right but I don't think it matters.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Capt.Bob. I can't remember if you are running a V or W rated P1. I am thinking of trying a W to see if it will handle the Unigo better without upping it to 36-37psi.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
@; I am running a V. The V or W is just a speed rating and does not change the recommended load or pressure. Therefore I don't think it would make a difference. JMHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts