GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle oil...

When I start riding the shifting seem quiet and solid...once the bike warms up the shifting is more clanky...is that normal? I am using the recommended weight 10-50...in a tropical climate

What are you using?
should I be using a heavier oil?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I went to the Amsoil 20W-50 in mine for the Texas summer. Shifting is much improved in hot conditions IMHO. I did not notice any change in fuel economy or performance. Are you sure you aren't using 10W-40? Not aware of an Amsoil 10-50.

(Disclaimer :roll: ) Not making a recommendation just reporting my experience.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Nando,
You can use Amsoil 10W-40, even in HI. It should stand up.
Maybe your clutch fluid needs flushing?
If 20W-50 feels better to you and it stays that hot there (Iraq summer hot), do it. Otherwise it's not really necessary.
Oil protects by flowing; Amsoil is extremely heat tolerant and won't break down under any condition that the 'Wing can subject it too (and keep running).
You'll get much better fuel economy with the 10W-40. I know that gas is expensive there...

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have a similar thing happening with mine. Shifting was less smooth after the change to Amsoil. I started using Amsoil @ 5,000 miles and now I have 18,000+. I change oil every 5,000 miles.

What is "Flushing the clutch fluid"? Are we talking about the break fluid in the clutch reservoir or something internal to the actual clutch. Sorry for the dumb question. My first wing and just bought my manual about 3 weeks ago. Haven't had the chance to fully study.

Jay

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
Nando said:
I have been using Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle oil...

When I start riding the shifting seem quiet and solid...once the bike warms up the shifting is more clanky...is that normal? I am using the recommended weight 10-50...in a tropical climate

What are you using?

should I be using a heavier oil?
NORMAL

DONT USE HEAVIER OIL

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Red said:
I've used 20/50 for as long as I've been riding Wings. Should I expect a engine or clutch failure? :wink:
Of course not. But you'll get better flow dynamics and fuel economy with the 10W-40.
You knew that already though.

Jay Hoover said:
What is "Flushing the clutch fluid"? Are we talking about the break fluid in the clutch reservoir or something internal to the actual clutch. Sorry for the dumb question. My first wing and just bought my manual about 3 weeks ago.
It's a hydraulic clutch that needs regular attention just like brake fluid. The fluid absorbs water and swells. The lines can also get soft or you can develop bubbles in there. Never hurts to bleed it.
Amsoil makes brake/clutch fluid too or you can use your favorite DOT 3/4 from Pep Boys, etc.

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Of course not. But you'll get better flow dynamics and fuel economy with the 10W-40.
You knew that already though.
Guess I'm wasting fuel using 20/50. I'll just have to add that extra 1/2 gallon every 100,000 miles. :?

I haven't found a 10/40 synthetic yet that lets the Wing shift as good as 20/50 does. Just seat of the pants experience from a few miles on Wings.

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I get about a 3 mpg advantage with the 10W40 vs the 20W50, Red.
I've never gotten a clunk from Amsoil of any kind or Rotella-T under normal use.
I guess results vary from person to person and from bike to bike. 3 mpg with 10/40 vs 20/50? BTDT many times, I've never seen any difference, especially not 3 mpg! Glad it works for you. :wink:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Gentlemen (hoping I am not overusing that word :lol: )

I have to stand corrected, I am using 10-40 Amsoil, the motorcycle oil....I think I am going to take some of you all ideas and go back to the 20-50 Amsoil see if I get less clanking on my shifting...I already get enough cliking on my bones :cry:

·
Registered
293 Posts
twodogs1800 said:
My '06 shifts with a definate clunk most of the time. My service manager says thats fairly normal.
Same here. I use Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil. The shifts seem to go a little smoother with the synthetic, but the "Honda" clunk remained from day one, especially going into low gear. I'm told its typical Honda and normal regardless of what oil is in the crankcase. I got to where I just ignore it and ride/enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Probably just a minor manufacturing variation, but the GW I bought (then totaled) in April was remarkably smooth with effortless shifting. My new one makes more noise (well, I can't really call it 'noise' but it does make more sounds) and shifts like a Harley (Ka-CHUNK into first and definate clunks up to 5th).

Also, yesterday was my first time with the new one in B2B traffic, and after a while, I found that it was tough to get it down into 1st gear from a standstill. Once traffic got moving for longer stretches again, dropping into first from N at a standstill was normal. Using Penzoil 10w-40 at the moment. Will be switching to Amsoil 10w40 at 1K.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Something that I do to minimize the clunking is to "preload" the shift lever before actually shifting. I put upward pressure on the lever before pulling in on the clutch, and the lever slides smoothly into the next gear. As a matter of fact, when I give someone a ride, they often think I've got an automatic.
I use Rotella-T, and love it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.