GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're back!!! (not really, because I just disposed of 'em)

I put the 5 gallon bucket and peanut butter trap to use and I catch a mouse a week if not more, but the little buggers showed up in the trunk again and ate a hole in my Gerbings heated gloves, and destroyed my summer pair. How can I keep them out of the bike? What is something they don't like ... a lot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You could always chain one of these to your bike :lol:

Leopard-mouse-1.jpg Totally-Cool-Pix-Scrapbook-02-barn-owl-eating-mouse.jpg

But seriously, I have heard that a couple of Bounce dryer sheets in the bags and tucked down into the cowling will help.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Chunks of Irish Spring bar hand soap. The same as the drier sheets they don't like the smell. I've used it in my camper. It even kept the ants out. And if you run out of soap in the wilderness your always covered.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Critter Ritter works well, it's a spray you can get at your local garden center, spray it on a mat or towel and put it under your bike.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Depending on where you live (city/country) I find that these mouse stations can be very effective, they come in all sizes, place them around the outside of your building & check them often, & keep the bait fresh, they will be used heavily at first, but keep checking & keep them baited, in time you will be mouse free. jmop

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I would just sit them down and talk to them. They will understand.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Very Good!!!!!!!, I lost a little coffee on that one!!
it was sure hard saying that with a straight face. Glad you liked it. :lol:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Moth balls will work too but don't smell as nice as dryer sheets or soap.
That's what I thought as well. Had moth balls all over the bike, whole thing smelled like them. Poor little moths..., Anyhow it did no good, they built a nice nest in my air-cleaner and chewed a bunch of wires. I had to put out traps and check them every day. Very destructive creatures..

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Make sure you check your air filter! You can make screens from the old filter when you replace it to keep them out.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Decon seem to work very well.

prs

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mouses!

Kit, that has to be one of the ugliest, meanest looking cats I have ever seen...

I have also used the "bucket of water and peanut butter" mouse catching technique...and love going to check out the bucket and find a couple of little critters doing the breast stroke inside....

All these smelly materials that some use to ward off mice are a lot like using little whirly gigs to relocate moles...all it does is move them to a different part of your lawn, if even that...I personally feel the smelly tissues do about the same for mice...the only way to deal with a mouse is to find a way to STOP IT'S PULSE......through chemicals or by mechanical means....otherwise, They Will Be Back...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Argh!! You are a jinks. Just after posting I went out to go shopping. The truck would barely run. But, made it to the local repair shop. $82 to remove the nest on the back of the engine and repair the injector wiring.
Whose next?

Kit, where did you get a picture of my brothers ex-pain? :lol:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gosh I love this board... great ideas and entertainment too. Ya'll are great.

The air cleaner thing scares me, cuz it's the airbagger and I hear they are hard to access... for me that is... not the critters.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,200 Posts
Take a Frisbe, flip it upside down, fill it with antifreeze and slide it under your bike. They love it for a little while.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
That's what I thought as well. Had moth balls all over the bike, whole thing smelled like them. Poor little moths..., Anyhow it did no good, they built a nice nest in my air-cleaner and chewed a bunch of wires. I had to put out traps and check them every day. Very destructive creatures..
Good to know. I don't have a mouse problem, but I always heard that moth balls would keep the little critters away. Guess not.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts