GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have and 05 with 50,000 miles on it. We have recently had a bit of a cold spell here in the Phoenix area, and when I first start her up in the morning, she tends to only run on 3 when I open the throttle to accelerate. If I just let her idle for a minute or so before I take off, she warms up sufficiently and runs just fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
When did you last change the plugs? Sounds like plugs are not firing or injectors not delivering fuel.

G

·
I would first guess a lean run condition. You must not have any F1 light or you would have said so right? If it's a mixture problem, I would think it would throw a trouble code.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always perform all of the required services on or before the dates they are due. The plugs have about 5000 miles on them, but I doubt they could be a problem, because There is no miss when I start the bike. It only misses during acceleration or if I rev the engine a bit while it is in neutral. This all happens only in the first 60 seconds of operation. As soon as it has warmed up for just 1 minute, it no longer misses. I suspect there is a strange input or output from the ECU. BTW, I haven't gotten an Fi light.

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Is there and FI code?

Does your fuel "smell funky".

prs

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Did you also do the air filter??? Sounds like a vacuum leak.. If I remember well, htere's a couple of hoses under there. You're fuel milage should be suffering a little too..

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Air filter is clean. There are no F-i codes. Fuel milage is normal. She runs like a bat out of hell too! Not really a major issue, just curious if anyone else has had this happen and what they did about it.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Air filter is clean. There are no F-i codes. Fuel milage is normal. She runs like a bat out of hell too! Not really a major issue, just curious if anyone else has had this happen and what they did about it.
Your symptoms are not normal.. My point was if you did the air filter change, the cover may not be fully seated or a vacuum hose may have gotten knocked off on reassembly.. Easy to miss..

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that the symptoms are not normal. However, it has been running normal for the last 8,000 miles since the filter was changed. When it misses, it is as though one bank has completely shut down instantly as in no spark. I suppose an Fi engine could also shut off the fuel instantly so it would seem as though there was no spark. It doesn't feel like a vacuum leak miss, but I will have a look around when the filter is due for it's next change.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is spark on all cylinders ? I would be more inclined to think it is related to fuel or control of the injectors. There are three coils, each firing two cylinders. 1&2 3&4 5&6 so I don't think it is plausable to loose one and a half coils temporarly. It is possible you have a bad connection in a plug somewhere. I would start with checking all the connectors, especially the connectors on the ECM.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
There's only a few things common to one side of the engine. One would be the valve train on that side. Have you checked the valve clearances on the suspect side? The other is the O2 sensor for that side. It may be reading different from the other side's sensor but still be close enough to not throw a FI code and light.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Check engine-to-frame ground wiring.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Since this is a female, take things easy. It may not be an ignition problem at all but could be related to the lubrication system. Depending on how cold the cold spell is, parts often are slow to respond. I have found that this directly relates to how well the lubrication system works.
I would suggest a little more lovin' and let things warm up before you go to full throttle on those cold mornings.
ps: keep up the required servicing

G

·
There's only a few things common to one side of the engine. One would be the valve train on that side. Have you checked the valve clearances on the suspect side? The other is the O2 sensor for that side. It may be reading different from the other side's sensor but still be close enough to not throw a FI code and light.
:agree:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Engine Miss

The miss may not be on just one side of the engine. Could be all the cylinders misfiring at different times.

Big changes in temperature can cause condensation problems. There may be moisture in the gas tank, try some gas line water remover/antifreeze in the next tank of gas.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Make sure your plugs are torqued properly. If the washers aren't crushed properly when installed, they can loosen up. That might cause the condition you describe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts