GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that since I have purchased the DCT model 1800, I no longer have the option to bump start the bike. With the other bikes, I could roll the bike down a hill or a slope and pop the clutch in 3rd gear to start the motor. This is apparently NOT possible with the DCT.

Bummer.

Joe

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
goldwing

I just realized that since I have purchased the DCT model 1800, I no longer have the option to bump start the bike. With the other bikes, I could roll the bike down a hill or a slope and pop the clutch in 3rd gear to start the motor. This is apparently NOT possible with the DCT.

Bummer.

Joe
I suppose you would like a hand crank on the front of the engine also.>:)

Sorry couldn't resist. No offense intended.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
7,564 Posts

Bummer.

Joe
I've also bump started 1832's more than once, but it's been 10 or 12 years since the last time.

Sure was nice having that back-up plan.

No way to engage the engine oil operated clutches on a DCT with the engine not running.

But I'm more than willing to accept the trade-off!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just have to make it my religion to change the battery once every year, I guess.

Joe

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I tried to bump start a Goldwing pushing it uphill, but somehow it just didn't work out. Seriously, unless I was already facing downhill with a significant slope I cannot imagine getting the bike moving fast enough to bump start it. If my Goldwing ever fails to start, I call AAA.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Just have to make it my religion to change the battery once every year, I guess.

Joe
You could install the charging pig tail that usually comes with a battery maintainer/tender. Keep the bike on the maintainer/tender when you’re not riding and you won’t have to change the battery out every year.

:doorag:

·
Registered
519 Posts
You could install the charging pig tail that usually comes with a battery maintainer/tender. Keep the bike on the maintainer/tender when you’re not riding and you won’t have to change the battery out every year.

Or just ride it at least every other day like we do in the Republic of Texas.:grin2:

·
Registered
262 Posts

Joe
Every year? Maybe you got a low voltage drain somewhere. This is the start of the 5th season on my ride, and she fires up perfectly. Now, I Realize that I'm getting towards the end of my battery life, but every year? No way. I changed out all OEM lights for LED's, they don't use as much juice, and I don't have any Extra electronic stuff, so that may help me.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I get a new battery every 3 years regardless of the condition of the battery, car or motorcycle.
Makes good sense to me.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,564 Posts

Joe
I won't be doing that.

A battery that is weak due to age always gives warning. (when I bump started, I had ignored the warnings)

A battery that fails due to internal mechanical failure (unpredicably) can fail at any age.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to bump start a Goldwing pushing it uphill, but somehow it just didn't work out. Seriously, unless I was already facing downhill with a significant slope I cannot imagine getting the bike moving fast enough to bump start it. If my Goldwing ever fails to start, I call AAA.
In third gear with the clutch held in, you can push the bike at slightly faster than a walking pace, pop the clutch and the bike will start. Of course you have to immediately pull the clutch IN again, or the bike will run out from beneath you in gear. Or you can mount the bike and have a friend give you a shove.

People think the bike should be in first gear to bump start it, but exactly the opposite is true. Third gear, or even FOURTH gear will make bump starting the bike very easy.

Come to a complete stop at the top of a downgrade sometime. Shift your bike into 4th gear and shut the engine off. Now turn the ignition on, with the clutch held in, and let the bike begin to roll until you can retract your feet. You should be able to "pop the clutch" in less than 20 feet and start the engine.

By "pop" the clutch, I don't mean slowly release the clutch lever. That will stop the bike. Get your fingertips on the lever, and let it slip out from under your finders to immediately engage. THAT is how you pop the clutch.

The moment you hear the engine fire, pull the clutch lever back in again and shift to neutral.

Joe

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
And most new cars don't have a spare tire either.
We're getting to an age where you just do everything on your smart phone.
Get in a wreck, On-Star will call for help. Car or bike stops, conks out... call AAA or a tow service!
Shoot, we done even need comfortable riding boots! Who's gonna walk anywhere these days anyway!>:)

:wink2: :grin2:
Corventure Dave

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
And most new cars don't have a spare tire either.
We're getting to an age where you just do everything on your smart phone.
Get in a wreck, On-Star will call for help. Car or bike stops, conks out... call AAA or a tow service!
Shoot, we done even need comfortable riding boots! Who's gonna walk anywhere these days anyway!>:)

:wink2: :grin2:
Corventure Dave
And cannot be bump started.....:nerd:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I haven't had to bump start a bike since I was 18. I can afford to replace batteries before they fail now.

I can't bump start my cars either. Doesn't bother me one bit.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
"Pop the clutch...." I think Joe is reminiscing about his dirt bike days! I remember doing this, sitting on top of some dirt hill and then roll down the hill and "Voom..." off you go....

I've done it once on my GW because I was sitting on a rather sloped road in the mountains and I just let the bike start rolling and, Voom... off I went. Yea, definitely do it in 2nd or 3rd gear, not first.

Only had to do it for real once when a friend who had a Victory had his battery die for some reason overnight. After several hard pushes and "popping the clutch"... we got it turned over.

I suspect your DCT will be quite reliable... I mean.......... it's a HONDA! :wink2:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Unfortunately for some, that is not possible due to a season called “Winter.”

I went to a place called Winter one time for 4 years. IT was nicknamed Lexington, KY. I left there and moved back to a more satisfactory climate where I grew up....it's now called South Carolina:kiss:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts