GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nice and angled to fit nicely and out of the way in a stable corner.. you hardly know it's there and with a gallon it could get you out of a pinch for sure.. Leakproof and built in saftey nozzle.. Pretty slick, I got two...

http://www.redagascan.com/

FWIW

Matt(BCNV) :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Yeah, I want one too. Maybe even one for my saddlebag and one in my trailer.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Oh, clicked on the link and found them. Wow. $30 for a one gallon gas can? Plus shipping? Maybe I don't need one too bad after all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you look at the site,
Made to fit in that back "hard to reach" corner of a saddlebag
The REDA Gas Can is EPA & CARB certified in ALL states
100% VAPOR PROOF - zero emissions - NO fumes
100% SPILL PROOF – self-venting spout w/shutoff stores internally

the vapor proof makes them worth 30 or so to me right there, can you imagine a saddle bag full of fuel vapors, NO THANKS !:eek:4:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Forgive me.... I have no experience with those so perhaps you can explain why we are putting gas cans in the one storage place known to get a bit warm.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgive me.... I have no experience with those so perhaps you can explain why we are putting gas cans in the one storage place known to get a bit warm.

As opposed to the 6.6 gallon one on top of the engine?

When I explode I will post it and admit defete!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
C'mon Matt, I was being serious, not trying to bust your balls. Things get hot in those bags and I wasn't sure if it would be a concern or not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had one of those containers for a while. Be careful when you tighten the top. The gasket on some is very thin and will leak if you over tighten it. A local dealer told me he had some recalled...The one I had was definitely not vapor proof. It now lives in the local dump... I now have a regular 1.2 Gallon shorty that I got at Lowes in the garden department. No fancy "no spill" spout but it also does not leak or smell. $12.00 and rides lower in the bag to boot.
Gas Auto Ignites (The minimum temperature required to ignite a gas or vapor in air without a spark or flame being present) at 536℉ so that bag would have to be seriously warm to cause a problem.... Now if there are fumes and sparks :22yikes: that's another story but not a lot of sparks in a saddle bag either.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Not worried about flash point. Concerned about pressure increase due to ambient temp shift.
They are built to withstand the pressure from heat and agitation (bumpy roads).

The larger danger is not having it grounded when refilling. Be sure to place it on the ground and have the spout touching the can while filling.

Don't want to sound like a cheapskate, but, why is the price double or triple a regular gas can? Because of the shape? I've seen the same spout on other cans for under $10.

·
Registered
391 Posts
All portable gas cans sold are required to be 100%
vapor proof - that's why you can't buy a new one
anymore with a separate vent, the self-venting
ones all suck too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here is another option. I put two of their 33 oz (quart) bottles (older vintage I have had for over five years) in the trailer for another 17 to 20 miles of range. They are metal and designed for white gas for cook stoves. I believe I purchased mine at a local REI camping supply store.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-fuel-bottles/product

Since they lack a funnel, I found a folding small funnel (I carry them for the BMWs as well as the Wing). It is small enough to get into tight spaces, such as topping up anti freeze on the Wing. They are even handy for the car since they fold flat.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200C/9002090.html

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
C'mon Matt, I was being serious, not trying to bust your balls. Things get hot in those bags and I wasn't sure if it would be a concern or not.
I have witnessed other people carrying gas in other approved vessels and they seem to be living life to the fullest...

If Matt crashes, he wants the fireball large enough so we can all see it.
Show off!! :lol:
anything less then a nuke would be unacceptable...

I will use it and monitor it by smell and if I detect any spillage or "odor" I won't use it anymore....

Just wanted to share what I thought was a good idea.... and as for the extra $$$ does NOT bother me... As a matter of fact I bought TWO... I hate lopsided explosions

LOL

Matt(BCNV):doorag:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Had one of those containers for a while. Be careful when you tighten the top. The gasket on some is very thin and will leak if you over tighten it. A local dealer told me he had some recalled...The one I had was definitely not vapor proof. It now lives in the local dump... I now have a regular 1.2 Gallon shorty that I got at Lowes in the garden department. No fancy "no spill" spout but it also does not leak or smell. $12.00 and rides lower in the bag to boot.
Gas Auto Ignites (The minimum temperature required to ignite a gas or vapor in air without a spark or flame being present) at 536℉ so that bag would have to be seriously warm to cause a problem.... Now if there are fumes and sparks :22yikes: that's another story but not a lot of sparks in a saddle bag either.
Not all, but some, bags have lights. Lights have electric wires. Wires can break and let out the smoke within. It's when, not if, but when that smoke comes out you could also be turned into smoke. :eek:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Looks like a great option for folks who 1) need that 'cushion' and 2) won't forget to add "rotate the gasoline" to their maintenance schedule.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
589 Posts
When I get home, I top up the bike with the fuel in the MSR bottles before going to the gas station. I then air out the bottles outside until all fumes have escaped. I refill them before going on a trip or long ride with others who may not plan their fuel range well.

·
Registered
556 Posts
just put a bit of Stabil in it and you wont have to worry about rotating it.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
just put a bit of Stabil in it and you wont have to worry about rotating it.
Stabil won't last forever. You will still need to rotate the gas at least every 6 months or so.

Carying extra gas while on a trip in unfamiliar areas might be a good idea. Obviously, it's not needed while riding around town.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts