GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this be covered under warrantee? The wing is a 2010 bought new last February.
Anyone suggest a good dealer within 100 miles of Denver?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you are in Denver, you can get a new bulb at any auto parts store and replace it yourself. They are not expensive. It one went out, the other is not far behind, so replace them both. If you need assistance, PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Don't know exactly where you are, but there are several dealers in the Denver area. However, most Colorado dealers are closed on Mondays.

Rpm Motorsports
1251 Wadsworth Blvd
Lakewood, CO 80214-4207
(303)232-7576

Sun Enterprises, Inc.
8877 N Washington St
Thornton, CO 80229-4534
(303)287-7566

Aurora Honda
200 S Potomac St
Aurora, CO 80012-1323
(303)341-7200

Fay Myers Motorcycle World
9700 E Arapahoe Rd
Greenwood Village, CO 80112-3704
(303)744-6632

Apex Sports, Inc.
327 S Weber St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2124
(719)475-2437

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
A bulb is not a warranty item

takes 2 minutes

·
Registered
156 Posts
You might first check to see if the socket has come off the back of the bulb. Take out the pocket on that side and see if you can see the prongs on the back of the bulb. If you can, just plug it back on.

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
They often go out in sets within days, hours, mins of each other. So replace both low beams. The bulb number is H-7 ... you can get them even at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It may not be a warranty item...but some have had a dealer replace them on warranty, me included. I think it depends on the dealer. A dealer in Charleston, SC changed one for me on warranty a couple of years ago on the way home from Rolling Thunder.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

takes 2 minutes
Depends on the dealer! Some cover bulbs, some don't.
To the OP-You said headlamp went out.
Did you mean a bulb or are both bulbs out in same headlamp????
If both bulbs-I'm betting the harness connector has come loose.
Headlamp bulb is a good item to have in one;s "fix it" bag to carry at all times!

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
An awful lot of people on this board have had bulbs replaced by dealers under warranty, regardless of whether it is officially covered or not. But too many of them do it for it to be just a goodwill gesture, so my guess is that Honda really does cover bulbs, although it is no doubt surprising.

But if it were me 1000 miles from home, the last thing I would be looking for is a Honda dealer to replace it under warranty. Point me to the closest Walmart or Auto Parts store so that I can replace it and get back to my trip. The dang bulb only costs $10. If a Honda dealership is nearby and it isn't an inconvenience, I would give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
My riding buddy replaced his own headlight bulb and screwed up his shoulder in the process. Cost him a bunch in doctor bills. Aren't they hard to get to? Mine haven't gone out yet, so I haven't had to deal with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My riding buddy replaced his own headlight bulb and screwed up his shoulder in the process. Cost him a bunch in doctor bills. Aren't they hard to get to? Mine haven't gone out yet, so I haven't had to deal with it.
They can be a bit of a bugger on my 03 but I think I read that the later models are way easier to replace the bulbs.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
The first time can be tough, because you are working blind. Once you figure out how the clasp works, it isn't too bad.

I'm sorry to hear about your buddy, but it wasn't the light bulb change that screwed up his shoulder. He had to have a problem that was just waiting to happen. Let's face it. We aren't as flexible as we once were.:lol:

·
Registered
714 Posts
It will probably be much easier to get a couple of bulbs from Wal-mart or auto-supply than the time it will take to find a Honda dealer and then have to wait for them to change them.

Note - the first couple of times I change my bulbs, I reached up under by the front fender and was doing this completely blind so was guessing where everything was and what anything was.

There is a thread on the forum with a video by someone (I forgot who) that shows how easy it is. If you do it by reaching through the handle bar opening it is much easier. From this angle you can get a good view of what you are doing. Once you put your arm in there, the view is blocked, but at least you have a good idea of what you are working with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
768 Posts

takes 2 minutes

All I know is that mine was replaced for free under the extended warranty. My brother had one done on his bike for free as well.
The dealer did it as I waited without an appointment. Took him less than fifteen minutes.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
An awful lot of people on this board have had bulbs replaced by dealers under warranty, regardless of whether it is officially covered or not. But too many of them do it for it to be just a goodwill gesture, so my guess is that Honda really does cover bulbs, although it is no doubt surprising.

But if it were me 1000 miles from home, the last thing I would be looking for is a Honda dealer to replace it under warranty. Point me to the closest Walmart or Auto Parts store so that I can replace it and get back to my trip. The dang bulb only costs $10. If a Honda dealership is nearby and it isn't an inconvenience, I would give it a shot.
:agree:
Had one of mine go out while in Zion NP about 2,500 miles from home. Rode to the nearest Autoparts store about 20 miles away and bought two H7 bulbs. Changed the blown one in the parking lot. Took about 5 minutes.

About 1 week later on our way back home, the other bulb went out in Pueblo, CO just as I started up the bike to leave in the morning. Pulled out the spare bulb and had that one replaced in about 2 minutes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I didn't know what bulb it took or how to get to it. I will stop by a wallmart or auto store and pick up a couple of H7's and see if I can figure out the best way to change them both.
One bulb is working fine since I'm not doing any night riding. Worst case, if the other fails I can run the high beams and adjust the aim all the way down.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Like Paladin, have spare bulbs, will travel.

prs

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I didn't know what bulb it took or how to get to it. I will stop by a wallmart or auto store and pick up a couple of H7's and see if I can figure out the best way to change them both.
One bulb is working fine since I'm not doing any night riding. Worst case, if the other fails I can run the high beams and adjust the aim all the way down.

Thanks again!
I'm surprised this warning about installing the headlight bulb has not already been mentioned...

"Do Not Touch the Bulb Glass"! Natural oil from your fingers will cause a hot spot and premature bulb failure. If you do touch the glass, clean with alcohol.

Sorta on subject, I just received my Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulbs from http://www.candlepowerinc.com/

Ordered them Friday Morning. They arrived here in Sunny Southern California in Monday's mail from Rockville, MD, not bad!

H7 bulbs: Osram Rallye 64217 2 18.00
65w Ultra High Output H7
Special-Service Bulb
(Shipped) US POSTAL PRIORITY MAIL
Subtotal 36.00
Shipping 8.01
Tax 0.00
Total 44.01

Still need to switch my bulbs out. I'm keeping the current ones as backup. I am not sure how long these new ones will last, but wanted to give them a try....

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
What's in involved in changing a headlight
It requires a minimum of 50 Goldwingriders. 1 to change the bulb, and 49+ to critique the method being used to perform the install...

:joke:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts