GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will not be riding a 2018 GW for about one month. Do I need to do anything for storage? I do not want to put the battery on a trickle charger unattended.

Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
No, just check tire pressure when you get ready to ride it. I would leave it on the centerstand too. I have a few motorcycles and my wing can easily go a month before I fire it up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I really don't do anything much special when mine sits over "winter", or at least he non-riding season (which can be six months, or more). I plug the trickle charger in a couple times and never leave it on longer than it takes to indicate fully charged. Always on the centerstand when parked longer than a few days. Startron fuel enzyme additive when it's not ridden regularly.
For just a month it's just like any other extended parking.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Only a month?... you really don't have to do anything, not even have the battery tender on it. If you come back and the battery is weak, there is a problem. One month should not discharge your battery. I leave all my bikes on a battery tender when not riding. I've left my GW on it over six months, only periodically looking to see if the green light is on. Never took the tender off... Never started the bike, etc. My CBR1000RR has gone over 8 months without being started sitting on a tender. They have all started right up when asked...

It does amaze me... :grin2:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I will not be riding a 2018 GW for about one month. Do I need to do anything for storage? I do not want to put the battery on a trickle charger unattended.

Thanks
No trickle charger ?? Why not ??

30 years of riding. A daily rider. Maybe 10 or 11 different bikes. I have ALWAYS used a trickle charger on a DAILY basis. Yes. Every time I get off the bike for the night, I attach the charger. It's my daily routine. THAT'S the beauty of a trickle charger......you can leave it connected basically forever. It won't harm/overcharge the battery.

I have NEVER had a problem with a battery. 30 years.

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
No trickle charger ?? Why not ??

30 years of riding. A daily rider. Maybe 10 or 11 different bikes. I have ALWAYS used a trickle charger on a DAILY basis. Yes. Every time I get off the bike for the night, I attach the charger. It's my daily routine. THAT'S the beauty of a trickle charger......you can leave it connected basically forever. It won't harm/overcharge the battery.

I have NEVER had a problem with a battery. 30 years.
Perhaps you mean one can leave a battery tender/maintainer connected for extended periods of time. A "trickle charger" will eventually overcharge and harm a battery.

:doorag:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Make sure there’s no cheese eating critters in your storage area and use a battery maintainer on it to keep the battery peaked, but not over charged. Your battery will thank you later.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you're burning any gasoline with ethanol, I recommend putting some fuel additive like Sta-Bil in the tank. Run it around a couple blocks then shut down. Put it up on the Center stand and disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Put your cover on.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
tender always plugged in, when not riding...........

Ronnie

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use my trickle anytime that the bike is going to sit for more than a few days. It shuts down when fully charged. No danger.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Perhaps you mean one can leave a battery tender/maintainer connected for extended periods of time. A "trickle charger" will eventually overcharge and harm a battery.

:doorag:
No. I don't mean connected for just extended time periods. I connect the trickle charger EVERY single night. Why not ?? I've kinda 'gotten to know you' from being on this forum. And what I say next might seem like heresy because you certainly know WAAAAY more than I do. But, I think you're wrong about leaving it connected indefinitely. Isn't THAT the point of a trickle charger ?? To just connect it and not have to worry about it ?? It monitors itself, right ?? ...............yep.

What I've found it from this site..............not a battery 'maintainer,' a 'trickle charger.' I think you're wrong about this. Connect it often and for as long as you like. Won't hurt the battery.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Keeping the terminology clear. A trickle charger by definition has no monitoring circuit to stop or control the charging when the battery has had enough. A maintainer or float mode charger has a monitoring circuit that controls the amount of current entering the battery to keep from over charging it. Most batteries can probably handle a trickle charger for overnight charging since it’s not putting out much to start with, but long term storage really needs a maintainer to keep from cooking the battery. Now, with that said, I think most Battery Tenders have some monitoring built in, but I wouldn’t use one for long term storage unless I was absolutely sure it monitors and wouldn’t cook the battery.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with this. Trickle charger is old school terminology before smart chargers. Older people tend to use them as interchangeable words.
I have been thinking about storing high dollar cars where people are willing to pay $100 a month for climate controlled storage. Talked to my insurance company about it. They didn't care as long as each individual carried storage insurance on their cars. Then they offered this pearl of wisdom... "Make sure that they take their batteries out and take them with them though. 95% of fires in storage facilities begin with batteries."
So if I am going to store something for longer than 2 months the batteries come out and get put on a smart tender where I can monitor them everytime I enter or leave the garage.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 04:50 AM

Now thats worth repeating as it seems some dont really seem to have understood it yet (reading some of the previous posts).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

techdude2000 - Keeping the terminology clear.

A trickle charger by definition has no monitoring circuit to stop or control the charging when the battery has had enough.

A maintainer or float mode charger has a monitoring circuit that controls the amount of current entering the battery to keep from over charging it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignore at your own risk

·
Registered
101 Posts
From their website:

Battery Tender Junior

Battery Tender Junior allows you to connect the charger to your battery (either in or out of the vehicle) and forget about it until you are ready to put the battery to work.
Like all Battery Tender chargers, once the battery has reached a 100% charge the Junior automatically switches it's output voltage to a safe, storage/float level that eliminates the need to worry about the damaging effects of overcharging. If/when the battery voltage drops too far under load, output power will begin again bringing you battery back to a fully charged state.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Course in all cases, unless you have it on a surge-protected circuit, a lightning strike or grid surge could do some serious damage.

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
793 Posts
Course in all cases, unless you have it on a surge-protected circuit, a lightning strike or grid surge could do some serious damage.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Or your house could get hit by a tornado.

Tim

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've been down the lighting strike road. Took out all kinds of electronics and the HVAC (heating side). Didnt know it until 4 months later when it got cold!!

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I do not use a classic trickle charger. Ever.

I use a battery maintainer like the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. Always.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts