GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that NAPA has a sale on their synthetic oil (all weights) for $3.50/qt. until the end of the month. I have used this oil on my car but never on a bike. Anyone have experience with this oil in a Goldwing.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed that NAPA has a sale on their synthetic oil (all weights) for $3.50/qt. until the end of the month. I have used this oil on my car but never on a bike. Anyone have experience with this oil in a Goldwing.
Thanks,
Jeff
Yes, I've been using their full synthetic 15W-50, manufactured for NAPA by Valvoline, for some time now. It's non-energy conserving, no clutch slippage, performs well in my Wing and my Valkyrie. I'd grab some, especially at that price.

·
Registered
296 Posts
oil question

what about using resource conserving oil? I noticed that the last bottle of oil I used say it on the api circle.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Make sure it is NOT "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" and also meets the other oil requirements (JASO-MA) listed in the owners manual for your GL1800 MOTORCYCLE.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
so what is resource converving oil?
A way of saying that this url with moly additive causes less friction in the engine and therefore you burn less fuel per mile.

Advertising......go green and save fuel. Sales tactics.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was discussing the topic of oil with the service manager at my Honda shop. He said to avoid synthetics, they had a few bikes come in with problems switching into reverse. They called Honda tech rep and the first thing he asked was if the bike had synthetic in it. Turned out it did & once they swapped it back to Dino oil...the problem went away. I think I'm going to stick to the Dino stuff. Rotella is a great oil and is JASO certified. My 1st gen Vmax didn't like synthetic oil either...made the shifts very clunky & hard to find neutral...stuck Rotella in it and shifted like butter.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I was discussing the topic of oil with the service manager at my Honda shop. He said to avoid synthetics, they had a few bikes come in with problems switching into reverse. They called Honda tech rep and the first thing he asked was if the bike had synthetic in it. Turned out it did & once they swapped it back to Dino oil...the problem went away. I think I'm going to stick to the Dino stuff. Rotella is a great oil and is JASO certified. My 1st gen Vmax didn't like synthetic oil either...made the shifts very clunky & hard to find neutral...stuck Rotella in it and shifted like butter.

Sorry, I'm calling BS, not on you, but the "service manager you talked to. Im trying to imagine what synthetic or any oil has to do with the ability to "switch" into reverse. My imagination is just not good enough.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Sorry, I'm calling BS, not on you, but the "service manager you talked to. Im trying to imagine what synthetic or any oil has to do with the ability to "switch" into reverse. My imagination is just not good enough.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm not calling BS, although it is. What I am doing is making a note to self to never listen to another word from this source. I've found that if any part is BS, it all is....lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts