GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke these bottles of fork oil out of the shipping box from HDL and immediately noticed that one of them was a different color. :shock: Should I be concerned with this? Is the oil bad? You can see in the bottom picture that light passes through the one bottle, but tnot the others.
Hmmmm..... :?: :?: :? :? :?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The "one" Bottle seems to be of a different Shade, maybe the fluid is the same. I would open the cap and check.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check for what? Smell? Taste? :lol: :lol: I don't have the means to do a chemical test. :lol: Does this stuff go bad, or is it just another batch?

I'm going to use the other 3 bottles just in case.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Looks like the different color bottle/plastic is probably the issue -- in your photo, look at the different colors of the plastic at the top where the fluid is not located. They are definitely different bottles. I'd take a little fluid out of one of the dark ones and a little out of the other one and compare -- I'll bet that the fluid is the same.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wingnutzz said:
Looks like the different color bottle/plastic is probably the issue -- in your photo, look at the different colors of the plastic at the top where the fluid is not located. They are definitely different bottles. I'd take a little fluid out of one of the dark ones and a little out of the other one and compare -- I'll bet that the fluid is the same.
Dave, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it. But the color of all the plasic bottles is the same. I actually shook all the bottles before I took the picture to show that the consistency of the oil was different. It seemed thicker and slower to run down off the darker 3, and on the light one, it seemed thin and ran down immediately, so it didn't leave the redish residue you see on the other three. I haven't opened these bottles yet, but when I do, I will see how the light colored one stands up to the others. (smell, texture, viscosity) I don't think I'll be using the lighter one in my forks.

And yes... the left most one does seem to have less oil in it. Gotta love quality control!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sure looks like a different colored bottle from here. I think i would just go ahead and open the lighter one and one of the darker ones and compare the fluids in glass containers.

G

·
The bottle in the middle appears to be a very weak Merlot that didn't age well in the cask. I would surely discard that one. It's not good to mix with the others.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
The "one" Bottle seems to be of a different Shade, maybe the fluid is the same. I would open the cap and check.
Give the man a cigar! Good eye.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Solo,

You will be fine, Color does not always indicate different. If you have cause for concern, mix them all together in a larger container.

Trust me on this one.

Dawg

G

·
fzj9wq said:
The bottle in the middle appears to be a very weak Merlot that didn't age well in the cask. I would surely discard that one. It's not good to mix with the others.
ROTFLMAO
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
all kidding aside...
Notice the red tint around the filler necks.
It looks like the oil is adhering to the 3 bottles to a better degree than the odd bottle.
IE thicker, higher viscosity. Hummmm.
you could mix them all together like paint!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The three dark ones are probably refined/cleaned oil. :wink: :wink: That is why they are darker :wink: :wink: JUST KIDDING>>>>>

If I was having any doubts about them I would call HDL and let them call the shot. Just a thought.

I will not say what I would decide on my own. Liabilaty concerns you know...

Ross

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
That's why oil shouldn't come in 'clear' bottles.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The lighter one is just a different flavor (cherry perhaps)!! The darker one is either grape or licorice... :lol:
Don't sweat it, they are the same weight... That's why I use BelRay, they all taste like fork oil!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
In the process of getting my V-Strom ready for my ride to Ushuaia, Argentina I had the same exsperince. The differance was when the oil was drained from the forks, the right side was black, and the left was red. It came from the factory like that, never noticed any differance in the ride. Don't think you have anything to worry about.

Harold

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Solo...
Geeeze...I thought weird things like this only happened to me.
Drives me crazy trying to figure out why things are different.
Usually generates the ole "WHY ME" reaction.
Makes me wander if I'm messed up like that "Monk" character on TV. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
510 Posts
bluewing05 said:
Look at the bottom of the bottles the second one does not have a dimple at the bottom! :eek: Was probably made at a different time or manufacturer for Honda! I would use it. As long as its sealed!
Yep, some of the measure marks on the side are different too, particularly the 14 oz. marks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts