GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to record music off the music channels on my dish network on to cd and what would I need?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interesting thought that I have never considered. I have never done it but will brain storm just a bit.

As for recording off of your dish network I am assuming that you mean your TV service. I have Direct-TV and they do have the XM Radio channels on there.

On my receiver there are RCA output plugs. I would think that going from these to your CD burner should work fine.

So you would need a Satellite receiver with output jack/jacks and a CD burner with input jacks. It should be fairly straight forward from there.

Give us a report if you accomplish it.

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
484 Posts
Your in luck. Just recording audio is much simpler as there is no video involved. On your dish network receiver box, look for the audio out plugs. Should be red and white colored for left and right audio stereo channels. Run those red and white wires into whatever recording device you want. I suggest you visit an electronics store in your area and have the 20 year old sales person walk you through what to buy or how to use whatever you already have.

The process is pretty simple but you will have to tell everyone here what equipment you already have to do recording so we can help you out more. So far, all we know is you have a dish network system.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You will not be able to record in digital PCM quality but rather analog output using your red & white analog audio jacks plugging into the analog output ports. I is OKAY but not GREAT. I record it to my Tivo and/or my Yamaha Music Server via the analog output and then I can burn it from the Music Server to a CD.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking along the same line, I alrerady have a receiver hooked to my dish box to listen to the channells in my workshop. Thought i would just need to buy a CD recorder. for searching for one of those I found that there are several companines that make a CD recorder with a built in turntable and since I have about 300 old albums I would love to chance to CD sounded good. I use a sony mini dish walkman on my wing and each disk will hold about 5 and a half hours of music and is really quick to copy so until i go the ipod route i am sticking to this outdated tech LOL. Thanks Guys. will keep you posted.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You are making it to difficult. Just hook your cables from the RCA plugs on your Direct TV out put into your PC or laptop then save the file on your PC.

If you save it in wav format then convert it to MP3 format at 128Kb and burn it on to a CD. If you save it as an mp3 format at 128Kb you are ready to burn.

The cable you want is avail at Radioshack. It has a Red/white rca plugs that end in an earphone jack. If you don't have enough cable to reach the laptop or PC buy an extension cable that plugs into the earphone jack at the end of the RCA cable and then plug the ext into the PC or laptop sound card line-in jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do it a little different. My computer (HP) has a TV tuner card in it. I cable out of my Time Warner box into the computer. Then I use Audacity (free software) to record off the Time Warner box for as long as desired. Then Audacity makes a MP3 file out of it. I then drag this file over to my Ipod libray. So now I have Oldies, 70's, 80's, etc;.

I usually start recording before going to work and shut it off after getting home.

Works really well.

Dick

·
Registered
705 Posts
RSpors,

You, my man are Hi-Tech, LOL

I also use Audacity for most of my sound editing and track editing, nice piece of software for the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts