GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All:

I've been a lurking member for quite a while, but felt it was my turn to add to the wonderful responses I've found have helped me on this board. Thanks to all who contribute!

Thanks to my wife, I am now the proud new owner of a Pioneer Inno XM radio. This thing is AWESOME! (Do people still use that word?) It can be used via FM Modulated or with the AUX jack on the bike. I use the AUX jack. It has built in storage and can play both live XM or recorded XM and MP3's. Anyhow, I finally found a way to mount this thing on my '06 GL1800 and I wanted to provide those that are interested one way to get the job done.

I've included four pics below. I'll describe what each one shows just below the image. (My apologies for the blurriness of these images.)

This image shows the Inno mounted just above the radio controls on the non-airbag GL1800.

Another rider's view image of the mounting location.

I mounted the CD-INCAR1 (XM Model No.) on the bike. The Inno slides in from the top and lays on its side. The display changes to be upright in its cradle.

This final image is the base mounted on the bike. The Inno comes with a cradle that slides onto the base. You'll note that I removed the GoldWing logo plaque. (Put it on the dash of my car!) and used the automotive adhesive that came with the mount to stick it back in the slot. There are a few things to make note of:

1. Remove the adhesive leftover from removing the GW logo.
2. Clean the recessed rectangle VERY well with the cleaning material that comes within the Inno car kit package.
3. I had to cut down the edges of the base mount to make it fit exactly in the recessed rectangle. I marked the underside with the removed GW logo plaque, then used a hacksaw to cut through the plastic.

The whole install took less than 30 minutes.

Now, you may be asking, "Where did he mount the XM antenna?" That is a good question. Currently, I simply have it velcro'd to the left handlebar. This is only temporary though. I'm searching for a better place to put it, although when I'm riding, I don't necessarily need it because the Inno has a built in antenna.

Speaking of the Inno antenna. The only thing that touches when I park the bike with the handlebars completely left is the antenna, (the round black piece on the left) BUT, I never park the bike and leave the Inno in the cradle. When it's removed, NOTHING touches.

I'm looking for the best way to run the cables to it. Currently, I just have them "crushed" between the left fairing pocket door and the rubber gasket around the pocket. It's pinching pretty bad. Has anyone figured out a good way to run these wires?

The Inno is powered by a 12-volt adapter plugged into the outlet I put in the left pocket.

One last thing. YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED A GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR as the noise is unbearable. I added mine and it cut the noise completely.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I hope this helps someone.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thats the same place I mounted my Roady XT! I also pop-riveted it in place just dont trust the glue that much. The good thing is if I get rid of the bike just remove the mount reinstall the emblem and you'd never know it was there. I also mounted the antenna under the front fairing on a metal bar that goes across the windshield also place my garage door opener there! Is use the FM transmitter instead of the Aux cord on mine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh yeah I ran my power from the Left fairing pocket up thru the fairing then back thru the center console area! Ran the Antenna thru the fairing opening to tthen thru the center console. Makes for a clean job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Thunder! It was probably the images of your mounting that I saw that gave me the idea. I like the pop-rivet idea also.

Thanks, too, for the info on the antenna and wiring.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I absolutely love my Inno. Let me know how hot yours gets in the car cradle. Mine gets real hot, I think something is wrong with the cradle, because it doesn't do that in the house cradle or just pluged in to charge it without the cradle.

It comes out of the cradle pretty easy, doesn't lock in like the skyfi, be carefull about that....

I've used all the Delphi Radio's except the RoadyXT and the MyFi and IMO the INNO blows all of the others out of the water. Having an MP3 player, being able to record the XM for later playback is awesome. And the reception is unbelieveable. With my inno I can listen to it anywhere in my office building except for the elevator. Doesn't need line of sight to the sky like the other radio's do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuse,

Thanks for the feedback. I ready your post this morning and you're going to think this is funny, but my 13 y.o. had the perfect idea. She gave me one of her black hair bands and I used it to keep the Inno on its cradle. It's real thin and doesn't get in the way at all. I just looped it over both the cradle and the Inno. Used it on a 300 miler today with no problems.

Also, I didn't have any problems with the Inno getting hot in the cradle. As a matter of fact, it didn't even feel warm to the touch. Have you updated to the latest firmware? That may help.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts