GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a two wheel trailer, the weight is carried on the trailer axle with distribution of the load to get the weight on the tongue like you want it. I understand that. The one wheel i don't understand. If you put 100 lbs in the trailer, will that mean 50lbs on the tongue and 50 on the rear wheel? sounds like a no brainer, but i am not an engineer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
on a two wheel trailer, the weight is carried on the trailer axle with distribution of the load to get the weight on the tongue like you want it. I understand that. The one wheel i don't understand. If you put 100 lbs in the trailer, will that mean 50lbs on the tongue and 50 on the rear wheel? sounds like a no brainer, but i am not an engineer.
A quick internet search revealed that the more the weight is distributed toward the rear of the one wheel trailer the less the tongue weight is. Makes sense to me. The larger the kid on the left side of the teeter totter and all that math stuff. :confused:
Bet Tom Finch has a formula for this...

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
A quick internet search revealed that the more the weight is distributed toward the rear of the one wheel trailer the less the tongue weight is. Makes sense to me. The larger the kid on the left side of the teeter totter and all that math stuff. :confused:
Bet Tom Finch has a formula for this...
Same is true for the two wheel trailer, and oddly enough for the 4 wheel tandem trailer. The more rearward the weight the less pressure on the ball Ie: tongue weight. :shrug: Also the longer the tongue the less weight on the ball, with the same loading. :doorag: Physics 101.

To make it simple and easy to understand:

Newton's Third Law: when one object exerts a force on a second object, the second exerts a force on the first that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. Restated, the law is as follows: when one object exerts a force on a second object, the second object exerts the force on the first that is the same in size but opposite in direction. The magnitudes are always equal. The two forces are often called action-reaction forces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The lever is a simple machine consisting of a bar supported at some stationary point along its length and used to overcome resistance at a second point by application of force at a third point. The stationary point of a lever is known as its fulcrum.
The Lever Principle has been found by experiment where two equal forces were acting in opposite directions, i.e., clockwise and counterclockwise, and applied to a uniform lever at equal distances from the fulcrum counteract each other and established a state of equilibrium, or balance, in the lever. Experiment has also shown that two unequal forces when acting in opposite directions will bring about an equilibrium when the product of the magnitude of one force and its effort arm, or lever arm (the distance of its point of application from the fulcrum), is equal to the product of the magnitude of the other force and its effort arm. In physics the product of a force by its effort arm is called moment of the force. The general conclusion known as the principle of moments states that equilibrium is established when the sum of the moments of the forces acting in a clockwise direction is equal to the sum of the moments of the forces acting in a counterclockwise direction. It is possible, as a result, to overcome a very large force at a short distance from the fulcrum with a very small force at a great distance from the fulcrum.

The below formula represents an equally balanced load on a fixed fulcrum, where "N" = weight

Left:
M1=4.0 N x 0.30 m=
=1.2 Nm

Right:
M2=2.0 N x 0.60 m=
=1.2 Nm

:shock::shrug:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeppers: which means all forward moment :shock:
Same is true for the two wheel trailer, and oddly enough for the 4 wheel tandem trailer. The more rearward the weight the less pressure on the ball Ie: tongue weight. :shrug: Also the longer the tongue the less weight on the ball, with the same loading. :doorag: Physics 101.
So the second quote has no meaning in this context?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts