GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't check the accuracy of this email sent to me. BUT

Using a car tire on a bike would have been a necessity back then with only 144 miles of paved roads in the U.S.

Boy do we have it made or what, riding around on our Wings ! ! !
And I'm 51, so that really doesn't seem to be that long ago.

THE YEAR 1906

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!
The year is 1906.
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some of the U.S. statistics for the Year 1906:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.

With a mere 1.4 million people, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents per hour.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year .

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year,? a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year?

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at HOME.

Ninety percent of all US. doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

Now I forwarded this from someone else without typing
it myself, and sent it to you and others all over the United States,
possibly the world, in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND, EH....!

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
interesting

early sixties we got a telephone

a TV, it was a used one that didn't work half the time

runing water, my dad and uncle hand dug a well in the basement , the well was about 4 feet around and 20 feet deep, they put the dirt in pails and carried it all up the stairs and dumped it outside, sounds like a lot of work but our neighbors had a hand dug well that was 80 feet deep ! just think of the work and danger that must have been !

need some hot water ? just heat it up on the stove, saturdaynite was bathtime for all 6 kids !

1964 we got a new house with an indoor bathroom and real store bought toilet paper, that sure was nice

the old house was one bedroom and a wood stove, imagine that with 6 kids, seems almost unbelievable now but it was for real

amazing how much things have changed over the years

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I am 68 years old and remember most of that stuff. Kerosene lamps, hand pump for water. Out house (Brrrrrrr....In winter when no one was looking, I would just pee out the window LOL) My Grandpa put up a windmill with a generator and bought a radio, man I was hooked and still mess with radios as a Ham.. during WWII, no rubber for tires, I can still remember the sound of steel on the road when we drove the car on the rims... We would milk the cows, A truck would pick up the milk and leave a few cans of canned milk, I hated it and still do... Get my butt whipped if I got caught drinking cow milk... Some thing to do with the war... I remember a pair of shoes, sorta like shower shoes and thats all I had...

And the kids today whine :lol:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey Tom, that was a neat trick - out the window and all. But you know what gave you away, don't you? Yellow snow! Seen it before - but don't ask.

I can remember some of that, but we had a pretty progressive family that could afford "modern" conveniences. We got our first TV in 1950, a little round thing that looked like an "O" scope. Next one we got was rectangular, but had a plastic thingy over the front to emulate color. My first car? A 1939 4-door Chevrolet. It had vacuum shift, and didn't shift well if the car wasn't running and drawing a vacuum. I also had a 1942 Oldsmobile, one of the first with automatic transmission. It was a rarity, because not many of those were made during the war.

To keep this motorcycle related, my first bike? Well, actually the first was a Cushman scooter in the early '50s, but I also had a Jawa in the 1954 era that I pushed more than I rode.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
In 1980 I bought an Atari 800 with 32K of RAM and a cassett tape drive for and no monitor $900.
In 1983 I bought a 5 1/4" floppy drive for the same machine for $200.
In 1990 I bought a Heath laptop 386 with 1MB of RAM and a 40MB hard drive for about $2k. That same year I also bought an HP calculator with 32K of RAM for about $100.
In 1994 I bought an IBM ThinkPad 486 50MHz, 4MB RAM and 180MB HD for about $2K.
In 1996 I bought a Pentium 100MHz with 16MB RAM a 2GB HD and a 17" monitor for about $1,500.
Last year I bought an upgrade from a friend. I now have an AMD 64bit 1.8GHz processor with 512MB RAM, a 40GB HD, DVD Burner etc. (still have the same 17" monitor) for less than $400.
Just the other day I bought a Treo phone. It's a PDA with 32MB of internal storage and almost unlimited expandability using SD cards. It can do almost everything I can do on my computer and it's a phone. I paid less than $200 for it.
I just saw a 4GB SD card for less than $80 on ebay.

We've come a long way since my first Atari.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Mesquite,

I think you, Tom Finch, and I are all from the class of 1936?

My first car was also a '39 Chev with the vacuum shift, and don't forget the vacuum operated windshield wipers that would stop on acceleration, which was standard on some cars back then!!

Remember the Doodle Bug scooter right after WWII? My first ride was on the back of a Doodle Bug, sluggish to say the least! My first motorcycle?
It was a 30-50 Indian! Don't know what year, never did get the title! It was given to me, and I gave it to a neighbor!

But the thing I remember most, was constantly trying to get the scooters, cars, trucks, and motorcycles to start and stay running, right??

Jonar G., aka, the original WHITEFANG

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
When I read the title of this thread I thought goldwingnut was planning a ride to the Yukon or Alaska. During construction season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts