GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:4: Yep have a screw in the tread area of the tire... noticed it when I went to move the bike in the garage... bike seemed real heavy....

So what is a guy to do with the tire repair or replace...

this is the 4th tire in 55,000 miles that I have replaced due to punctures....

I'm ready to sell the bike... I would be a rich man....:shock:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
If it were mine and depending on how much tread is left..
I would patch it on the inside.... :doorag:
or buy a new one....
PS: I would move or change where I keep riding to pick up so
many nails......

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
if that's all you get you should buy my old ones
... I usually take them off thinking they still have a few
thousand miles left on them.

I'll give you a great deal on 3 or more

:)

Dennis

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
You may want to evaluate the areas you ride in.:eek:4:

I've ridden probably 100k in the last 3 years and not one puncture.:shrug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
TommyBoy, with four flats that wing is scrap. Tell you what, I'll give you salvage price for it and come and haul it off for you.;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TommyBoy, with four flats that wing is scrap. Tell you what, I'll give you salvage price for it and come and haul it off for you.;)

:shock::hun1:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You may want to evaluate the areas you ride in.:eek:4:

I've ridden probably 100k in the last 3 years and not one puncture.:shrug:
:agree: I have a cousine that was a trucker for years and he always told me to try and avoid the fog line because that is where all of the crap (nails, screws ect...) lay.

·
Administrator
3,584 Posts
Stick a rope plug in it, air it up, and ride it. If the plug were to fail (has never happened to me) it's a run-flat! Big deal.;)

That's what I've done. Also, part of the reason to run a car tire is the run-flat capability.

Glen

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stick a rope plug in it, air it up, and ride it. If the plug were to fail (has never happened to me) it's a run-flat! Big deal.;)

That's what I've done. Also, part of the reason to run a car tire is the run-flat capability.

Glen
sounds good... is everyone in agreement to this?:?:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
sounds good... is everyone in agreement to this?:?:
that's what I'd do with only 1500 miles
... just check it more often for the first week or two
If it holds air, you should be good to go.
Dennis

·
Registered
552 Posts
What would you do if it was on your car?

I plug them if it's a small leak, and patch if it's bigger hole. No need for a new tire.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I am on my second car tire, so far no flats on them. Had a few flats on m/c tires.. I ride a lot in the fog lane, around here if your not going 90 mph, you better move over, so I just cruise over there dogging all kinds of stuff. Plus I ride a lot of dirt/gravel roads and through lots where a bunch of houses have been tore down, You can pick up a ton nails just walk through it LOL ... My property is loaded with nails as I had two houses tore down.. They do it with a Back hoe ..

I have a path from where I park the bike to the street, about 150 foot long and a foot or so wide. Last week a friend walked through it and found about a 100 nails.. Brought them to me.. Pretty scarey but so far, so good !! Knock on wood !!

With all the flats on the m/c tires, I cleaned the hole, used a lot of glue and plugged them, waited 20 or 30 minutes, air up and go ... Never had a single problem with that repair...

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have plugged a few mc tires but if it were me, I would get a patch on it! If I do incur a hole in my Kumho, a plug would be temporary.

·
Registered
470 Posts
TommyTX,
I went to Wal-Mart and asked the guy who repairs tires if he had any inside patches that have the stem on them that you pull thru the hole and cut off. He came out and gave me two of them. II wouldn't hesitate to put a rope plug or an inside patch on the tire. If you decide to scrap the tire, let me know an I'll buy it from you :thumbup:. Don't wanna waste a good Kuhmo!!!!!!!m Be careful out there. Semper-fi

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My first choice would be a patch from the inside.

Second choice would be a plug or rope repair.

(With my TPMS and run flat capability, I wouldn't worry about it failing.)

With just 1,500 miles on the tire, it is too new to replace.

When would you replace it? It depends a lot on how you ride. If you are a close to home, fair weather rider, you could probably ride that thing until it is bald.

If your friend found 100 nails on your driveway, you might want to use one of those magnetic pickup tools. Try to find one that is about a foot wide instead of the puck type. It has really worked for me picking up spilled nails and screws.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One thing good about a C/T, they will hold a plug forever when installed right. As long as it's in the tread area and the hole is round not cut, and you insert the rope plug straight with the hole line. [at the same angle as the nail or screw comes out] The black rope plugs made for radial tires are great. I had 3 plugs in my first Riken. The first one went in at around 2000 miles. I changed the tire out at 27,507 miles, and not because of the plugs. That is one of the main reasons for going to the C/T. I love these tires, they can do it all. LATER
:bow::superman1:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok looks like I will be plugging a CT today... black rope or brown?

I have plugged a bike tire once with the brown and held for 500 + miles till I got it replaced... it looked like it would have held forever but it was a bike tire and didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for all you input.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
If you're using Dyna Beads, won't they stick to a "rope" plug?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Black rope type made for radials. Later

1 - 20 of 26 Posts