GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you work 40 hrs per week how many miles a year do you average on your bike ? Please list where you live also . October the 18th will be one year since i purchaced my bike and i have put 14500 miles on mine. Live in east tenn and ride 50 miles round trip to work all year . THANKS And yes more than 40 is ok . If your retired it does not mean your not a serious biker but i was curious how the working man fits it all in.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've only had my Wing for a month and I've put 1400 miles on it. My commute is about 18 miles each way, but I'm finding that for some strange reason its been taking me 50-100 miles to get home at night. :D

I live in the Seattle area so the "riding season" is winding down. If its not raining or icy I plan to keep putting on the mile during the winter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Work

I work 55 to 60 hrs a week but still
manage to get 10k to 12k a year on mine.
Only live 5 miles from work or it would
be a lot more!
Speed

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I work 60 to 70 hours a week during riding season. Sometimes I may go up to a month without even seeing my bike in the garage. I have put 18000 on it since Jan 1. Total of 74k miles on my 02.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
hmm...well Ive had my bike for about two years and while I try, I havent put too many miles on it, lol. Now Im out here in Wyoming and its kinda chilly in the morning, even for me, and I like the cold weather. Just took the bike out yesterday for the first ride in a week or two...thinking about actually taking it to work. I work at a school so Im not too fond of taking it to work most of the time...found a decent sized scratch on the trunk last week and I figure that is where I got it.

Planning on riding it more, if possible, but wifey doesnt like the colder weather so that puts a damper on it as we get more into fall and winter time here. Hoping on getting a trailer eventually, but we will see...need some price quotes.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My work hours varies from week to week, but I have already put 2080 hours in this year. I average about 10k a year, but every year that mileage seems to go up. I was suppose to go to AK next week, but that was cancelled. That would of added about 2500 miles to my yearly total of 10k so far.

I know some people put my totals into shame. I do not ride my bike to work due to rotating 12 hour shift work. Weather can change for the worse in that amount of time. Also I only live about 9 miles from work is another reason. Their are more reasons, but do not care to go into those. I know excuses, excuses and more excuses.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
55hr/week 32K since March 2004

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've had this bike since June, and have put 12K miles on it. I only live 20 miles from work, but take the long way, so I actually log about 75.
Living in San Diego, I ride all year long, so I expect to put 25-30000 on the bike in the first year.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I work 40-50 hours per week, play 3 rounds of golf per week, and average about 20,000 miles per year on my bike for the last 4 years. Can't wait until I can retire<G>.

IFLY said:
If you work 40 hrs per week how many miles a year do you average on your bike ? Please list where you live also . October the 18th will be one year since i purchaced my bike and i have put 14500 miles on mine. Live in east tenn. THANKS

·
Registered
260 Posts
60,500 since June 02. 28K the first year, but I took a couple long trips that year. My daily commute is only 11 miles round trip, so I have mellowed since that first year.

·
Registered
550 Posts
riding

Is that limited to only 40 hours a week, or if we work more can we include that? :lol:
I average 45 to 50 hours per week. Put 32000 on mine this year, and have averaged at least 25000 the first three years I have owned it.
Live in the Dallas/FortWorth MetroMess area. :?
By the way, I love riding in eastern Tennessee.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I wish I could shorten my work week to 40 hours. I've had my GL1800 for three years and three months and have 45,300 miles on it. Most of the mileage stacks up when I take my three weeks of vacation during the summer. But another 3,500 miles are added in by business trips. Any time I have to travel anywhere west of the Rockies I do it on the Wing.

40+ hours per week working.
Living in the SF Bay Area, 3 miles from my office.
Commute daily.
13,938.5 miles per year

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Mine's coming up on its four-year anniversary this week - the first year I did 20,000 miles but as I got more into the accessory development business, it spends more time in 'research and development' mode. :)

I just rolled over 54,000 miles for an average of about 13,500/year.

I live near and work in Seattle and normally ride anytime there's no frost on the road. Between the two jobs, I probably work 70+ hours/week and have a wife and two kids as well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I work 40hrs/wk and I just hit 63K on the 2003 I got in Feb of 2004. I do ride it to work most of the time. The round trip is about 110 miles, if I don't get side tracked on a nice day. The nice days the round trip has hit 250 miles. :roll: 8)

·
Registered
234 Posts
50+ hours

I work 50+ hours a week - fair amount of night time work - seems like folks don't understand the convenience of having appendicitis from 8-5.

Got my wing in 3/04 - have put 12K miles on it since then - but also have a VTX 1800 that I have put 14K miles on in the same period.

Still riding to work here (when there is no precip) - was 26 this AM and I was turning DOWN the Gerbing stuff all the way in - it's 15 miles. Need to figure out the faceshield fogging thing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I ride every chance I get. I have a small construction company plus I work 40 hours shift work a week. That's 15 days a month dedicated to the police work and the rest is my side business. I average about 6000 miles a year on the bike. I think that's good considering my work. I will work 12 more years and fully retire at 55. I'll be putting >20K a year on my 2200cc automatic tranny wing then.

Scott

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I average about 13-14K a year. I work a regular 40hr week on 4 10hr days. The consistant 3 day weekend is wonderful. What's funny is that I mostly ride during the week and I ride to work about 20 miles each way. I use the weekend to spend time with my family and I just can't fit all three of us on the Wing.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I work 50 + hours a week. I bought my GW in early May this year. I have put 10,250 miles on it.
:D

It would hve been another 100+ today, but life gets in the way sometimes.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Lets see bought the Wing in May 2005, so that is what 17 months of Miles of Smiles, 24,000 of them! What does that work out to??... 1,400 miles per month, not bad, not great either, but I sure do enjoy riding this bike.

Wish I could ride more but we do get rain every once in awhile here in Southern California and I really hate spending a whole day cleaning and polishing the Wing after riding in the rain....

Looks like I may be cleaning and polishing tonight, Storm coming in that may hit before I get home from work.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts