GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my '08 triked with a Hannigan kit, it only starts in neutral, which is a pain in the butt sometimes. This sounds like the switch on the kickstand is indicating that it is down, but there is no indication on the display.
Any ideas or suggestions on how to correct this? Is this common with all trikes, or Hannigans, or did the installer screw up?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The first thing to check is the clutch switch. I doubt that the sidestand switch is the problem. If the computer thinks the sidestand is down, it will kill the engine when you put the bike in gear.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The first thing to check is the clutch switch. I doubt that the sidestand switch is the problem. If the computer thinks the sidestand is down, it will kill the engine when you put the bike in gear.
Duh... Good point. I'm going to delete my previous reply. LOL

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yes, the clutch switch needs to be set to #1 or #2 to start in all gears.

Learned that the first week I had the trike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comanche,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the clutch switch needs to be set to #1 or #2"

Do you mean the position adjustment of the clutch lever?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Comanche,

Yes, that is it. Push the clutch lever forward and rotate the dial to 1 or 2.

It should then start in all gears.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Yes, that is it. Push the clutch lever forward and rotate the dial to 1 or 2.

It should then start in all gears.
Why is that???
To the OP yes, your installer screwed up by not making sure everything was correct before delivering the trike! It the installer is close take it there. If not then a trip to you to make the correction is in order!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Why is that???
To the OP yes, your installer screwed up by not making sure everything was correct before delivering the trike! It the installer is close take it there. If not then a trip to you to make the correction is in order!
Slow down there Deputy. I think you may be a little quick to blame the installer.

This may be from a fairly common thing that occurs on trikes and 2 wheelers. The clutch lever adjustment is the simplest thing to check first before jumping to complain about the installation.

If after checking the clutch adjustment then, I agree, I would contact the installer. Some things occur just out of coincidence.

I had the oil changed on my wifes car yesterday. When I went out this morning, the car did not want to start. It turned out to be a battery. Now this car is 5 years old and has over 85K miles. I don't think the oil change had anything to do with the battery give up the ghost. I certainly didn't call the shop that did the oil change and ask them to come get my car and fix the battery.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Slow down there Deputy. I think you may be a little quick to blame the installer.

This may be from a fairly common thing that occurs on trikes and 2 wheelers. The clutch lever adjustment is the simplest thing to check first before jumping to complain about the installation.

If after checking the clutch adjustment then, I agree, I would contact the installer. Some things occur just out of coincidence.

I had the oil changed on my wifes car yesterday. When I went out this morning, the car did not want to start. It turned out to be a battery. Now this car is 5 years old and has over 85K miles. I don't think the oil change had anything to do with the battery give up the ghost. I certainly didn't call the shop that did the oil change and ask them to come get my car and fix the battery.
OP stated :After getting my '08 triked with a Hannigan kit, it only starts in neutral,
Hence the statement "your installer screwed up". While you're right your oil change had nothing to do w/the battery. Sure glad you didn't call but, what does that have to do w/a trike only starting in neutral after the installation?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Why is that???

I am using my trike as an example. When I got my trike with 12,362 miles on it, I could only start the thing when the trike was in Neutral. Took the trike to a great mechanic who immediately changed the clutch setting from 5 to #1 and the trike started in all gears. He said I could use setting 1 or 2 and start in all gears. He was right. That was 27,000 miles ago and have not thought of it until the OP asked the question.

Badger, Did changing the setting work?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Your right, sorry I brought it up. No sense trying to put some logic into this.

Call the installer and tell him how unsatisfied you are. Demand that he come out and adjust the clutch lever.

What was I thinking

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mine is an 08 and at one time a year or so ago I had a little issue with this same thing...a Honda Knowledgeable friend of mine informed me of the small switch in the clutch lever..taking it apart and insuring the switch was good, replaced it, and since then all has been well. This small switch is simple to replace, but I would not have known this without his assistance....

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you have the Kury grips that may be your trouble. After I put them on mine it wouldn't start in gear.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
OK..... I'm no mechanic, but I think most everyone is getting two things confused.

#1 the little 5 number dial on the left hand clutch lever has nothing to do with whether or not the bike will start only in any particular number. That dial let's you adjust the sensitivity of the hydraulic clutch. (am I right or wrong).

#2 If you are having issues of the bike starting only in neutral, it may very well be that little black switch buried deep between / under the clutch lever and the hydraulic container. I have had two 1800 wings in 12 years, have had that little dial setting covering all 5 setting at various time and have never had a "starting only in neutral" issue with any particular number setting.

That is until that little black "under the clutch lever" switch died, and my mechanic point to that little $15 switch. Bingo, all resolved...!!!

I hope this helps in some way....!!!

:doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Howdy Badger. Sorry to hear about the problem. I know it all to well. I have had the same issue with my trike and just a few simple things to check that might help ya. I have included a link to the Clutch Master Cylinder blow out from this site so as to show you a pic of the little micro switches.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150474&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2001&fveh=3497

You will note items 6 & 7. These little switches live at the end of the clutch lever (basically) and do sometimes get road dirt and grime that needs to be cleaned. I use the plastic friendly spray from Radio Shake that is good for electronics cleaner. spray at will, but I still wrap an old towel around the lever to minimize over spray just to be safe. I also recently had to replace the bushing that lives in the mounting hole that the bolt goes through to secure the clutch lever to the handlebar. These fittings do wear and can cause for poor contact. In my case, the cruise control would not stay engaged. By-the-way everyone, a good way to test that, if your cruise is not staying engaged is to push the cruise button, and then while in 5th gear, and going over 40 MPH, push the clutch handle forward with your finger tips, and then try to engage/set the cruise. If it works, then the bushing looks like it might be a problem.

Finally, to check the kick stand issue, to my knowledge, there is a good chance that after your kickstand was disconnected, it was taped over and tucked up near your alternator. To check it, take the tape off, and while the bike key is turned on (without the bike running) slowly turn the halves until you see the light come on saying that your kickstand is down. Then, you can rotate it back, and when the light on the panel goes off, secure it (tape) in that position. Then you will know once and for all.

I agree with Indy, I don't see the problem being with your installer, just some possible maintenance issues, bad micro switch (which I had go up on me once), or the kickstand slid out of adjustment (the tape failed).

Give those a check, and hope that it helps.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Comanche,

Try this put it in gear pull the clutch lever in and pull up a bit on it when pushing the start button. there is a switch inside the cluch lever housingthat gose bad and there is a bushing for the lever that gose bad too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
YEAH..... Number 6 (switch) of te link Wheels posted.....!!!

:doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just had this same problem on my 2009. One of the connectors was loose from the clutch switch. Reconnected and now it works as advertised. My clutch and brake levers are dialed in at 5 so that is not the issue.

·
Registered
590 Posts
clutch lever

I did NOT realize the numbers determine the sensitivity.

Never thought about it regarding the starting-in-gear prob...but went out and changed mine to #2.

Seems like the lower the number, the lever moves away from the handlebar...so, in my case, my little hand has a more difficult time reaching it to shift. AM I on the wrong track??? THX. Johnny

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I did NOT realize the numbers determine the sensitivity.

Never thought about it regarding the starting-in-gear prob...but went out and changed mine to #2.

Seems like the lower the number, the lever moves away from the handlebar...so, in my case, my little hand has a more difficult time reaching it to shift. AM I on the wrong track??? THX. Johnny
I have no idea why Comanche's problem was fixed by changing the clutch lever dial setting:shrug:
That should only do exactly what you experienced by changing yours. It should not change the bikes ability to start in gear or not.
That's why the brake lever has a dial on it also. (So the "throw" of each lever can be adjusted to suit each rider's hand size.)
Or maybe I've missed something along the way about those dials:?:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts