GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rereading through the owners manual, I see where it does not recommend "Energy Conserving" oil. Unfortunately, I didn't catch this until after I'd topped off my oil with just under 1/4 qt. of Penzoil 10W-30 (API Service SM).

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I haven't potentially screwed the pooch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
Drain the oil...change the filter. If you didn't ride much after topping it off there most likely wont be a problem. Why did you have to top off your new bike with oil? I have over 100,000 miles in 13 years on 3 different wings and NEVER had to top off the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Captain said:
Drain the oil...change the filter. If you didn't ride much after topping it off there most likely wont be a problem. Why did you have to top off your new bike with oil? I have over 100,000 miles in 13 years on 3 different wings and NEVER had to top off the oil.
Because based on past experience, I don't trust dealers to pay as close attention to details as I would if I were doing the make ready. And sure enough, I found the oil level to be right at the bottom mark of the dip stick (warm engine, center stand).

The good news is that I just did a double check of the bottle and as it turns out, I only ended up putting in about 4oz (not 8oz as I first thought) as I was just wanting to put in enough to get it over the bottom mark. (My dealer is giving me a 600 mile initial oil & filter change.) The bad news is that I've already put on about 200 miles after adding the oil.

My experience with BMW boxers has made me anal about checking oil levels. I guess old habits die hard.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,623 Posts
You probably would survive with a full quart of it in there.. Some guys have changed and use the new energy saving oil with no problems. So don't worry about a few ounces..

JMHO 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,865 Posts
No big deal. Drain the oil and change the filter after 8,000 miles of use. You likely did not need to add any oil, the GL1800 is kinda funny about the dip stick reading thing.

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
TowJam said:
(My dealer is giving me a 600 mile initial oil & filter change.)
Before that happens, you might want to ask the service manager if he's aware that the '07 model is spec'd for JASO MA 10W30, and be sure they actually have the new Honda oil. Honda began shipping it a couple of months ago, but only if the dealer ordered it.

For alternative oils for the '07 models, here's a list of JASO oils shown according to viscosity and rating (MA or MB), but this list isn't all-inclusive. Kawasaki sells Kawachem 10W30, but it's not shown - likely because the blender didn't respond in time to get listed.

Stu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I agree with Pigeon Roost. Before I knew better I used the "wrong oil" in our '94 Gold Wing and put over 150,000 miles using Meijer brand 10W40 motor oil without noticing a problem ($1/qt). My clutch never slipped (except in the friction zone) and it still doesn't need to be topped off between 5g mile changes.

You can't go wrong listening to Stu...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pigeon Roost said:
You likely did not need to add any oil, the GL1800 is kinda funny about the dip stick reading thing.
Yeah, in MY perfect world, the Wing would have a sight glass. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
Stu_O said:
TowJam said:
(My dealer is giving me a 600 mile initial oil & filter change.)
Before that happens, you might want to ask the service manager if he's aware that the '07 model is spec'd for JASO MA 10W30, and be sure they actually have the new Honda oil. Honda began shipping it a couple of months ago, but only if the dealer ordered it.

For alternative oils for the '07 models, here's a list of JASO oils shown according to viscosity and rating (MA or MB), but this list isn't all-inclusive. Kawasaki sells Kawachem 10W30, but it's not shown - likely because the blender didn't respond in time to get listed.

Stu
Stu, Any idea of what the difference in oil is. And what changes were made in the 07 engine or clutch that required the change in oil specs?
Also, if it was because of the clutch, will older models need to change when replacing clutch packs?
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,865 Posts
Stu; I hope that is not all inclusive; the 10-30s on the MA list are few and far between. FOlks with '07 owner's mauuals; is there a oil selection chart showing the various viscosities that are acceptable for various temp applications? Eventhough 10/30 is the center spec; is there not a range or words to the effect of "equivalent".

Nedro; I, too, was wondering if there were any real changes other than that of the whim of Honda engineers or promo folks.

prs

[quote="Stu_O
For alternative oils for the '07 models, here's a list of JASO oils shown according to viscosity and rating (MA or MB), but this list isn't all-inclusive.
Stu[/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Guys, I know I haven't posted much on this board (spend most of my time on the VTX board) but just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth here.

I've ridden almost 150,000 miles on Goldwings since I bought my GL1500 new back in '99 and thru that entire span I've only used Honda's HP4 with moly. I know the manual says not to use it, but I tried it on my GL1500 and I was impressed with the difference in shifting. I know about the clutch plates and all (I am a do-it-yourselfer) but thru all those miles, many towing either a fully loaded cargo trailer or a Bunkhouse camper I never had the clutch slip on either my GL1500 or my GL1800 (which now has 64,000 miles on it). I ride hard and aggressive as you can see by my avatar but I don't "abuse" my bikes. I know from the VTX board to stay away from fiction reducing oils on the VTX, perhaps the clutch springs in the VTX are not as strong as in the Wing? Stu, what do you think?

BTW Stu, thanks for publishing my letter to you a number of years ago when I still had my GL1500, I was very fortunate to have followed your advice about changing the altenator brushes every 50,000 miles. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pigeon Roost said:
FOlks with '07 owner's mauuals; is there a oil selection chart showing the various viscosities that are acceptable for various temp applications? Eventhough 10/30 is the center spec; is there not a range or words to the effect of "equivalent".
The oil chart in the '07 manual (page 155) is the same as in the '06 manual - very generic and shows 10W-30 being used beginning at around 15 degrees (f). I would post a scan of the page but as luck would have it, my scanner isn't cooperating. Suffice to say, the "chart" is pretty useless and there are not other oil weight recommendations given.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
GL1800 Oil Viscosity

The Recommended Oil Viscosity (weight) on page 154 of the Owners Manual is SAE 10W-40....

Page 155 shows other viscosities depending on the temperature... If your temerature is not going below about 15deg F. you probably do not need the 10W-30...

From Page 4-12 & 4-13 of the SERVICE MANUAL..

RECOMMENDED ENGINE OIL:pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybdenum additives) 4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil API service classification: SG or Higher JASO T 903 standard: MA Viscosity: SAE 10W-40

If you go to page 4-13 you will see a chart of other recommended viscosities based on temperature; Including, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-40 & 20W-50....

FWIW....
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top