GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While putting the trunk liner back in today, working on spoiler, I stripped out two of the screws.

Need suggestions on fixing.

Go ahead and stomp - I deserve it for doing the same dumb thing TWICE :oops: :oops:

Heavy Handed!!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
How about filling them with JB Weld or similar epoxy, drill and tap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a similar method of torquing....twist until it breaks or strips...then it must be tight! :lol: I stripped one of the trunk liner screws as well and just used a slightly larger sized coarse threaded / self tapping screw. If the fit is too tight, you may need to drill out the plastic posts they thread into so they don't split. These screws really don't see much stress and there are plenty of them. You could almost just dip the original screw in epoxy and slip it in the hole (may have to repeat each time the liner comes out).

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Put a toothpick in the hole till it bottoms out, then break the toothpick off flush with top of hole, then reinstall screw. KEEP AWAY FROM TERMITES THOUGH. :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
At least you didn't put one of the longer screws in the wrong place, causing a dimple in the trunk lid. You can guess how I know. :lol:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have been known to wrap the screw with duct tape ant ten reinstall carefully. It has held real good so far.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions.

As I have two to play with I can try different fixes to see which best meets my needs

fortsand: :? :? I promise not to tell if you don't

Thanks again for the support.

Ron

·
Registered
407 Posts
The toothpick idea was near the best. To avoid the "Termite" problem, the best is to snip of a piece of plastic wire tie wrap and insert it in the hole before you put the screw in.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The toothpick idea was near the best. To avoid the "Termite" problem, the best is to snip of a piece of plastic wire tie wrap and insert it in the hole before you put the screw in.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Lots of good solutions given, I have used all three, Toothpick, larger screw, fill & tap. Tooth pick works great, as it gives easily, and will not allow for a lot of pressure on the screw hole sides.

Here is how you do it. You take your lovely wife out for dinner, Enjoy a great meal. Tell her how wonderful she is and how without her you would be a total dork. Then pay for your meal, pick up a couple of tooth picks (un scented...LOL) on your way out.

If she catches you fixing your bike with the tooth pick, just tell her " see, I told you I was a dork without you, and I stripped out this screw hole when you weren't with me". She is gonna LOVE YOU !

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
A plastic tie wrap is what I have always used also. I actually cut a piece long enough so that I can fold it in half, now it's v-shaped and expands out to allow the screw to get a nice start.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Or just take your time and not strip any. :s27: Those might comeback to bite me ! LOL

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
With out a question Mike that would be the best case senario, but I've had a couple of friends who had screws stripped in a number of areas right from the factory. Even found one of the nut plates stripped on the top shelter for Joe's bike. You know how those assembly plants are!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boo Boo

Thanks again to all for the input.

Bull Dog

The Boss said your idea was best so I did what you said. The only problem was they had plastic toothpicks and they were too hard to be of any use. On top of that they cost $36.75 for two. :(

The Boss said that was O. K. as the steak made up the difference.

See if I let her read over my shoulder again.

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts