GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,

We need your help fixing a problem with the intercom amplifier on the GL1800. As has been reported numerous times, the amplifier in the audio unit acts like a microphone and amplifies bike, engine, and wind noises. Since the audio unit is attached to the bike's top shelter, the entire top shelter begins to act like a microphone when the intercom amp is turned up past about 8.

Even if you completely disconnect the microphones in the headsets, you can hear any noises the top shelter picks up, like moving in the seat, or tapping on the top shelter. If you turn the intercom up past about 14 you can actually hear the exhaust pipes and the engine running, even with the microphones disconnected. At levels above 16, the intercom become useless due to the added noise.

This problem can be duplicated on virtually any GL1800 and numerous owners have complained about it. It takes what could be a great intercom/audio system and makes it almost unusable. The added noise in the audio system causes rider fatigue on long trips and degrades from the bikes overall performance as a touring motorcycle.

I have called the customer service line several times in an attempt to get someone at Honda to look into to this problem. I have also spoken to Sierra Electronics and other vendors about this issue, and I know that several of them have spoken to your reps about it. Yet nothing seems to happen.

I realize that Honda probably won't want to go back and fix this problem in 2001-2003 GL1800's, but you should at least make an effort to find the problem and fix it on new 2004 and 2005 models that you are selling. Continuing to produce a bike with an intercom system that has serious issues like this is not going to be good for your future sales. It is in your own best interest to fix this problem.

To make matters worse, no one has been able to get their hands on the schematics for the GL1800 audio unit. Apparently they have not even been imported to the United States. Several of us in the GL1800 community with Electrical Engineering degrees have the ability to design a fix for this problem, if we could only see the circuit diagrams for the intercom amplifier. It is very possible that a filter network could be installed on the microphone input leads that would not require opening the audio unit to install. But without the schematics, it is nearly impossible to design one that will work properly.

It would be extremely helpful to those of us that have 2001-2003 models if you could at least let us see the schematics to try to find a way to fix it ourselves. The aftermarket community is fully capable of resolving this issue, if you will only let them help.

** Add to these problems a total lack of any kind of wind noise filtration in the intercom amp. The stock Honda intercom does absolutely nothing to try to reduce the amount of wind noise from the microphones. It seems that a $17K motorcycle ought to have an intercom system that is at least equal to a $400 Autocom, which can be used at 140mph without picking up wind noise. Even a simple roll off filter network would be better than nothing. The OEM intercom system becomes unusable at 75mph due to all the wind noise. C'mon Honda, put some ACTIVE filter circuits in it.

There are also additional problems with the GL1800 audio unit and how it interfaces with the CB that should be addressed. As has been reported over and over again, the horns can be heard through the CB due to a harmonic frequency of the horns themselves bleeding into the CB's receiver circuits. There is also an issue with the CB transmissions bleeding into the speakers due to a malfunction of the audio unit not muting the amplifier circuits when the CB transmits. All these problems could easily be fixed as well.

And while you are looking at the CB, why don't you investigate the possibility of incorporating an FRS radio into the GL1800 as an option (instead of CB). FRS is becoming widely popular among riders of all different types and brands of bikes, and is proving to be a far superior technology than CB. It also is much cheaper, with many FRS radios selling for under $50.

Thanks for listening,
Fred Harmon
Fort Worth, TX.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Nice letter Fred, but it's my bet, that the people that need to read it~~~~aren't

to bad too!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Fred--

Thanks for a well-structured, thoughtfully reasoned letter.

What you're asking for, at the least, won't cost Honda a dime...
it will be interesting to see what response (if any) you get.

Thanks for all your contributions to our GL ownership enjoyment.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Took NHTSA to get them to look intgo the frame problem.
Took montghs to get them to deal with the overheating problem.
You'll probablyreplace the bike brfore the act on this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Electronic Problems

Hear, hear. Excellently written article. Lets just hope that someone reads it. I'm on my 5th CB and my 3rd radio. One of these days you'd think that they would get it right just by accident.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This cured my intercom problems....

Fred,
Great letter, My bike did everything that you mentioned about the intercom.
I could even hear the seat wrinkling when i sat down on it.
I was picking up engine noises etc, after a short while i turned the intercom off and declared it useless. Later i switched my headsets from J&M to air/rider in the front and chatterbox noise reducing h/s in the rear. Also i installed the CB radio with its 3 noise suppressors. At this point all my back ground noises left.
Do you have the factory cb installed? I'm thinking the 3 noise suppressors that comes with the cb made a major difference along with the different h/sets.
JD :Biker:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't get the noise described in the letter. My AVC never has worked at all either, wonder if there is a connection here??

·
Registered
824 Posts
Great letter Fred.

I wonder if it is Honda that will not release the schematics or possibly the manufacturer of the radio?

·
Registered
40 Posts
F R E D ....... :bow:

If you had, or ran, a shop.....you'd make a million !!!!
Get Stu O as a partner, raise that amout to .. two million !
Thanks for being here....

IRMac :rw1:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Usual good work from Fred.

I doubt Honda is listening though. And that is a shame

·
Registered
93 Posts
The usual from You Fred .... GREAT..... I hope Honda is listening..
Ron,
Spokane

B

·
0 Posts
You're the greatest, Fred H. ! Maybe we could organize a demonstration at the next Honda Homecoming?

Rob
2002 Pearl Orange
Scottsboro, AL

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Seems logical for Honda not to release the wiring schematic for the radio intercom system

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Re: Electronic Problems

lennnie in michigan said:
I'm on my 5th CB and my 3rd radio.
Your lucky, I can't even get Honda to even think about looking at my POS CB and all of its problems.

Honda will never release the schematics due to fear that someone will wire in a CB and intercom systme that will actually work instead of forcing everone to buy the Honda line CB's with their 300% markup.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Intercom Noise

Fred,

Thanks for taking the time out to investigate and persue this issue.

It is annoying, to say the least, that Honda does not take a proactive approach in quality control and issue resolution.

Thanks for addressing this issue with them. Perhaps we can take a poll and collect signatures from the great folks who visit this board, and send Honda a message.

:wink:

Barry

G

·
0 Posts
what a nice letter, I think we ALL should print off copies and sign and mail them to Mr Honda

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is it Mr. Honad or Mrs. Honda...

Javern said:
what a nice letter, I think we ALL should print off copies and sign and mail them to Mr Honda
And I had always heard of "them" as being Mother Honda...

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way

One thing I forgot to mention in my letter is a total lack of any kind of wind noise filtration. The stock Honda intercom does absolutely nothing to try to reduce the amount of wind noise from the microphones. It seems that a $17K motorcycle ought to have an intercom system that is at least equal to a $400 Autocom, which can be used at 140mph without picking up wind noise.

Even a simple roll off filter network would be better than nothing. The OEM intercom system becomes unusable at 75mph due to all the wind noise. C'mon Honda, put some ACTIVE filter circuits in it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Fred H:

I was wondering about something after reading your
letter.

First, you are a legend in my mind regarding
all of your adding-fixing on the wing. I sit at home
and watch TV while you are in the garage doing something
useful.

Didn't J&M get contracted to make the headsets? They make
the Hondaline headsets, right? If so, wouldn't they'd have