GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a 1,250 mile trip in SE Va. on my new 2012 (love the extra bag space, new GPS/Nav, XM weather radar and audio, etc.,). Just sold my VTX 1800 for it and will never look back!! :lol: But a gadget question for you old pro riders....

When I plug in my headset/mic setup to the audio system the mic stays on continually - whether moving or sitting still. I have adjusted the audio mute every way I know how but the mic is always hot right from the get go... if I play audio through the headset it will cut the music out when I speak but it never cuts the mic out... which means when you are going down the road with nothing to say you hear a ssssssshhhhhhh in the headset....

Am I doing something wrong with the setup/controls or is the mic not working properly?:shrug:

thanks for help
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't believe I am the first to answer but, You are not doing anything wrong. Do a search for "Mic Mute". Without it the mic is always hot.:?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
You may also be hearing "microphonics" which is the sound coming through the circuit board in the radio. Some are worse than others and mine is horrible. I can speak into the gas door and hear myself in my headphones with no mic plugged in at all. Often the only solution is to turn down the volume of the intercom.

On a 12 that should be fixed, but I've heard stories about the newer bikes that suffer like my 02

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Nope. What you're experiencing is completely normal. While you can adjust the sensitivity of the mic so you have to speak somewhat louder to get the radio to "mute," when the intercom is on, the mic(s) are hot. It is not a "VOX" system.

As Phil suggested, Mic-Mutes will eliminate the problem. They've been used by hundreds for years and they work just as advertised.

http://mic-mutes.com/

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Read and reread your post! Gotta ask
Do you have the intercom turned on?
Maybe dumb? but, you didn't state the I-com was on, nor if you have a passenger that's plugged in also.
I-com on-mics are live all the time.
If you mic is live w/audio on but, the I-com is off, then you have a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts