GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the first 2 out of 3 Honda Hoot's way before I had my Wing. In the beginning it was not nearly what I see it has become today. So it has been years now since I have attended. I live in Virginia so almost every year I take a week or more to adventure in the Smokies with a friend. We have a blast camping and just doing what we want. Every approaching year I think about going back to the Hoot but have not. I would love to hear some good reasons why we should plan our Smokies trip around the Hoot. Thanks....Joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sure why not. I don't advise on staying 3-4 days. Go to Knoxville on Wed. or Thurs during the Hoot. The vendor area is huge. If they make it for a motorcycle a vendor will probably have it. Also, if want to be up at 6am and be at the demos by 7:30am you could catch a ride on some of the latest bikes. By 8pm if your not to tired you could go downtown to the FREE party and listen to some music and mingle. If you do go get a room NOW. If plans change cancel then.
Randy F
Concord,NC
'02 Silver GW

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i like the idea of being able to see what toys look like before you buy them at a huge vendor area.

my question is that i have trouble with some of the EASY installs. are there folks that install things at these events like the hoot and americade.

loren

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
loren said:
my question is that i have trouble with some of the EASY installs. are there folks that install things at these events like the hoot and americade.

loren
Hey Loren - give me a holler if you would like some help with some of those installs..........I'm only a 45 minute ride from you. Would be more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Loren, installation is no problem at the Hoot. Dodging the crowds is a different story. When shopping for an item you want, shop the installation cost also. At the Hoot for every 1 accessory you want there are probably 3-4 vendors selling that item. Most are willing to install, some want a reasonable charge others are expensive. The moral of the story is when shopping ask for both prices b4 you purchase.
Randy F
Concord,NC
'02 Silver GW

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hoot

I went to the last 2 that were held in Asheville, NC and the first one in Knoxville. Enjoyed Asheville, hated Knoxville. Too much traffic to endure to get to riding areas. In Asheville I stayed at a Motel right at one of the BRP exits. North one day, vendor area the next and then south on the BRP the following day. All I did in Knoxville was try to avoid truckers.

Jerry

·
Registered
267 Posts
When and Where

When and where is the hoot this year?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Why not change the whole deal ? Sounds like your in need of a change with some differant scenery. I hear that Americade is the real deal, so why not switch from the smokies this year and try Upstate NY ? This will be my first and I'm ready right now ! :yes2:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I went to 3 in Ashville and the first 2 in Knoxville. Ashville has better roads but Knoxville is a better city (imho) except for the traffic. I like it best stopping at the hoot for a day or two as we pass through the smokies. Have fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Honda Hoot is June 23-26 in Knoxville, TN. There are 100's of vendors and lots of great rides. SLIDES

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The Hoot is a Hoot! Lots of things to look at, lots of things to do, it's in an excellent riding area! :s27:

The traffic isn't bad, just don't ride thru the middle of town on I-40, there are bypasses and they haven't been any trouble, the north side bypass comes out just one mile from the park!

Everything you ever wanted to know:
http://www.hondahoot.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hond Hoot

Last years Hoot cost me 20,000. :lol: We went on our Sabre from New Orleans. Demoed the Wing and My fiance and I were hooked. We had such a great time we are going again this year and getting married there. We are actually going early to Townsend and renting a cabin. Great riding, great people and if the traffic is a problem then stay close to the park. Make sure you do at least one ride but don't do like we did last year and book too much. We ended not doing one ride and the Louise Mandrell show becaues of rain and the parties downtown. The Raddison is a great place to stay. Dave

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: Hoot

Jerry said:
I went to the last 2 that were held in Asheville, NC and the first one in Knoxville. Enjoyed Asheville, hated Knoxville. Too much traffic to endure to get to riding areas. In Asheville I stayed at a Motel right at one of the BRP exits. North one day, vendor area the next and then south on the BRP the following day. All I did in Knoxville was try to avoid truckers.

Jerry
I agree Jerry. We along with all of my friends will not go back to the Hoot as long as they insist on holding it in Knoxville. That city has to have some of the highest ratio of trucks on their highways. Every exit off I-40 has at least 3 large truckstops. And don't even think about staying at a hotel near the highway as all you will hear all night long is the noise of 18 wheeler tires humming along the highway. Just terrible. We now take the BRP and always stay in Asheville at the same time the Hoot is going on in Knoxville. It's a shame that Honda moved the Hoot from Asheville but I guess they got a better deal in Knoxville.
But Americade in Lake George is THE best touring rally in the world.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Honda Hoot

Jerry and Bob,

Just a couple of comments on yours. You're right that Knoxville is a "better deal" than Asheville. In Knoxville the Hoot can accommodate outdoor vendors, parking for attendees, more City sponsored parties, more cooperation from the local authorities, more attractive riding activities. The City of Asheville, although a more "quaint" and smaller venue, was not very friendly toward motorcyclists overall and the rally rapidly outgrew the city facilities. As for the traffic on the interstate, you'll find that the Americade Rally is split into several locations by the interstate that runs from Albany to Canada. On one side is the vendor show and on the other about 3-4 miles away are most of the demo ride activites. I've been to most of the big rallies and the Americade is a good rally. But, for a variety of motorlcycle activities, you can't beat the Hoot and the Southern Hospitality. But every rally is a little different for different people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts