GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do if someone behind you is obviously riding faster on the back road twisties than you are?

1. Do you slow down and allow them to pass?
2. Do you just let em suffer behind you?

Just asking for opinions not a WAR

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wave them around at the first safe opportunity. Why would one do anything else?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I let them go.They are "riding their own ride",let them have their fun.

I've also been the one stuck behind someone that doesn't want to let me by,and it pi$$e$ me off!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is why I asked this question, was riding in the Piney Woods area of Louisiana/Texas (Toledo Bend to be exact) and got behind two couples on trikes, they just refused to let us by, yes the road was narrow but they were on trikes, they could have moved over and let us by, if I had been alone I would have blown past them but had my wife and son on thier bikes behind me and did not want to put them at risk, we tried slowing down and getting some space but caught up to them three different times VERY aggrevating!!!!!!! By the way my wide is the one who said to GET on the baord this AM and tell everyone what a pain this was, I think she was more upset than I was, she loves the twisties.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Its happened to me, but I was the guy behind someone else going much slower than I cared to go. This last weekend I was riding some twisties and quickly caught up with a rider with his significant other on the back. They were going 40 in a 45 and I generally like to ride that stretch of road between 55 and 60mph. There was a double yellow line so passing on the left was not possible or safe and they hung to the left. I didnt feel that it was at all safe to pass them on the right, so I stayed behind them for about 5 miles. I try to be a polite driver so I did not get right up on them but they had to know that I wanted to ride faster since I caught up with them. Finally we both were stopped by a red light, so I pulled along the right side, gave a friendly wave and left them behind. I always pull over to the right if someone is going faster than I am, and, generally it is someone on a sport bike. Thats just common courtesy. I'm thinking that by the way he was riding, he was probably a new rider, but common sense should not restrict itself to experienced motorcyclists.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Backroad, interstate, anywhere -- let 'em by.

·
Registered
248 Posts
#1 - Move over when safe and let them by.

The Talimena Trail is a good example of this. The speed limit is 50mph and on the weekend it can get crowded with groups of riders. The last time 3 of us were up there we came upon a group of 15 V-TWINS that were running 25-35 and having difficulty pulling some of the hills. After about 7 miles they had I would estimate 50 riders and 5 cages held up. They were always riding in track 1 next to the double yellow line and were not offering to let anyone around. My SO was pissed!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Only safe thing to do is let them by. Otherwise they are just getting impatient and looking for any opportunity ( however bad) to pass you. It would also distract you if they were constantly right on your tail and you would be paying less attention to the way you ride.

Everyobne enjoys different aspect of a scenic twisty road. Let everybody do what they want.

Why upset anyone and put stress on yourself

just my opinion, everyone paddles their own boat

safe riding

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Let them by at the soonest safe opportunity. Then try to keep up with them to improve my skill.:22yikes:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The only guys who want to pass me are usually the rockets,I pull to the right and wave them by as soon as I think they can get by me safely..

I Always tell those in my group to get over to the right when a rocket wants to go by..

I see no need to hold up anyone..

More times than not I come around a curve to follow a line of cages only to see a cruiser type bike (s) holding up everyone..

While I can appreciate everyone enjoying there ride and taking in the surroundings,I have a hard time with slow pokes holding up everyone just because they can or refuse to let others by..to me :wrong:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I wonder what the responses would be on the HD forum?

I'll let anybody by that comes up on me running a quicker pace. The reasons are many. 1. Its courteous 2. I've been the guy stuck behind someone MANY times 3. If there are any cops ahead they get the faster guy you just let pass.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
+1, I always move over to the right and signal the faster rider to come by as soon as it is possible. It doesn't matter if I'm on the Wing or the Hayabusa. It does piss me off when I catch some slow ass rider and they appear to deliberately try to keep me behind them. Last weekend while I was in N. Georgia riding the twisties on the Hayabusa, I caught up to a couple of guys riding some Harleys and they seemed hell bent on keeping me behind them. They didn't seem to understand how fast a Hayabusa will pass another bike. Now they do. I didn't do it in an unsafe manner, but I don't play with them either. If it spins the helmet around in the process, then so be it.:22yikes:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I wonder what the responses would be on the HD forum?

I'll let anybody by that comes up on me running a quicker pace. The reasons are many. 1. Its courteous 2. I've been the guy stuck behind someone MANY times 3. If there are any cops ahead they get the faster guy you just let pass.
The vast majority of the responses would be: move over and let em by.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i move over and let them by. i have been it twisties when i im passed by a rice rocket and didnt even get a chance to see him in my mirror. had i seen him i would have slowed down and encouraged him to pass me but most of them just pass on corners and everything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
#1 That is the courteous thing to do.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
If I see them and it's safe, I'll let them pass. but, it doesn't happen often. I do get pissed when hung up by some slow f'r.

My buddy on his BMW RT and I love passing the V-Twins on the backroads and watching them get pissed and try to keep us from coming back over. hahahaha morons.

B

·
0 Posts
What do you guys do if someone behind you is obviously riding faster on the back road twisties than you are?

1. Do you slow down and allow them to pass?
2. Do you just let em suffer behind you?

Just asking for opinions not a WAR
I let them pass.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts