GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, All - I'm in the process of replacing my '02 yellow 'Wing - totaled due to flood damage:cry:. I've decided I'm gonna hold out for ABS but am not sure about airbags:?:. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about 'em, whether you think they're desirable or not, and why. Thanks in advance for all your input!! :thumbup:

Lancer

·
Registered
366 Posts
Air Bag

After reading on here about a couple of people who had air bag bikes and the circumstances of their crash, and how well they fared in the wreck, if I were to buy a new bike I would get the air bag. You might be able to access these posts with the search function.
I hope you have better luck with the search function than I ever have.:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
I did not get it because of the additional cost. And it is obvious most riders here have done the same. Riders I know with the airbag seem to have more electronic problems. If you offered me one with and without at the same price I would pick the AIRBAG

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
The benefit of an airbag is obvious. It can save your life in certain types of crashes.

If an airbag did not have any drawbacks, I would say sure, why not? But after factoring in the high cost and added difficulty of servicing and installing accessories, I have decided that the odds of ever needing it don't justify putting up with the drawbacks. This was not a seesaw decision. There are no lingering doubts for me.

The scenarios I see as most common for me involve getting rear ended or broadsided, not a head on collision. I would not benefit from having an airbag in either one of those situations. The only head on I can see would be a high speed collision if someone crossed the center line on a 2 lane road, and I don't think and air bag will help much at those kind of closing speeds.

There is also a morbid factor to my decision. About half of my riding is done with my wife as a passenger. An airbag will be of little benefit to her. If she gets killed in an accident, I don't want my life to be saved by an airbag.

The decision will obviously be based on your risk tolerance, which is different for everyone. And it will also depend on how likely you feel that you could need the protection. Most importantly, your level of income and amount of discretionary spending capability may factor into your decision. I would not expect anyone to accept my line of reasoning. I'm just sharing how I came to my conclusion. If I ever come to a point where I feel threatened enough that I have to spend that much money on an airbag to be safe, I will save the money and just hang up my helmet instead.

I applaud Honda for the innovation. I just find it to be impractical. And like many other innovations adapted from cars, it costs more, and doesn't offer the same level of benefit.

One last thing to add. In keeping with Honda's theme of only offering safety features to their more affluent customers, just like ABS, you can only get this safety feature by also buying the top of the line Wing and a lot of other options that you may not care for. To me, that shows that these safety features were not developed to increase motorcycle safety They were designed to increase profits.

·
Registered
297 Posts
to be or not to be?

I would choose an airbag model. Better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Yes, I would buy the airbag model if buying new. However, I consider ABS brakes even more necessary, and would not buy new or used without them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Airbag

I have the airbag and I have not had any problems at all with the bike. As far as in the way, I changed the airfilter once and its just a few bolts and move it out of the way. It only takes one accident head on to realize it was a good investment and I handle alot of accident at intersections where airbags are deployed. Anyone one of them could have been a motorcycle involved.

Be Safe
Art

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You will find that the airbag naysayers, like most other topics, don't own one or have any actual experience with one :roll:

The report of more electronics problems is false (please provide actual proof if you disagree), it is no more difficult to do service, and the only accessories that you can't (well you can but shouldn't) fit are those that mount on the handle bars. If a bar mounted cup holder is the most important part of your bike then you don't want an airbag.

I find it strange that someone is willing to spend $2500+ on suspension upgrades but the cost of the airbag was a deciding factor in their purchase decision :shrug:

This guy was glad he had the airbag when he was run off the road at 55 MPH and went head on into a tree. Had some "limb fractures" but no head injuries.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
airbag on the bike ...
Yes I'd have one.

but "Opinions of airbags".. ??
... catchy title ...
... I thought this was going to be at least 10 pages about many of the members here.

Dennis

·
Registered
480 Posts
After my GL1500 was totaled, I was looking at a new Wing. I kicked around the idea of getting the airbag model. After looking at short videos, reading posts on this as well as other sites, I came to the conclusion that an airbag might not have made my accident less of an issue, but it certainly wouldn't have made it worse. This conclusion was enough of a reason for me to opt for the airbag.
The only qualms I have run into are the first couple of times of breaking the bike open and seeing all of the yellow cables which are related to the airbag system and you get warned "Stay away from the yellow wires - you'll blow the airbag!". It seems a little daunting at first, but you get used to it and learn how to safely get around them.
Would I select asn airbag model again? Yep!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
.. seeing all of the yellow cables which are related to the airbag system and you get warned "Stay away from the yellow wires - you'll blow the airbag!". It seems a little daunting at first..
interesting observation
.. now you have me wondering:
Has anyone ever set one off while doing maintenance on the bike?

I've never read anything here about that.

Dennis

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well said!

you will find that the airbag naysayers, like most other topics, don't own one or have any actual experience with one :roll:

The report of more electronics problems is false (please provide actual proof if you disagree), it is no more difficult to do service, and the only accessories that you can't (well you can but shouldn't) fit are those that mount on the handle bars. If a bar mounted cup holder is the most important part of your bike then you don't want an airbag.

I find it strange that someone is willing to spend $2500+ on suspension upgrades but the cost of the airbag was a deciding factor in their purchase decision :shrug:

This guy was glad he had the airbag when he was run off the road at 55 mph and went head on into a tree. Had some "limb fractures" but no head injuries.

WELL SAID!!!!!! :agree:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Never gonna make it work right.

That was my initial impression of an airbag on a bike. Honda pulled it off though. I have dealt with the injuries prevented and caused by all 3 generations of automotive airbags and still can't see how Honda did it, but they did.

I don't own an airbagger, but all things being equal, I would pick the airbag over the one without.

Happy Shopping

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
...One last thing to add. In keeping with Honda's theme of only offering safety features to their more affluent customers, just like ABS, you can only get this safety feature by also buying the top of the line Wing and a lot of other options that you may not care for. To me, that shows that these safety features were not developed to increase motorcycle safety They were designed to increase profits.
BINGO :thumbup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have an '08 Airbagger and believe it could/would prevent me from going through the windshield or over the handlebars in a moderate to low speed frontal crash.

If a crash occurs at high speed from any angle your name needs to be written down in the Lamb's Book of Life because you're probably gonna be leaving the time space continum. I don't think an airbag is gonna slow the process much.

I know riding a motorcycle is a RISK because of its lack of physical protection. Knowing that, I do as much as I can to reduce the risk and the airbag is part of my risk reduction strategy. Regular maintenance, MSF rider training, proper safety gear, and a defensive mental attitude all contribute toward a safe and fun riding experience. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
You will find that the airbag naysayers, like most other topics, don't own one or have any actual experience with one :roll:
I just want to request a clarification here. Do you consider anyone who chooses not to buy an airbag as a naysayer, or are there specific instances you are referring to?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes - I would buy the airbag model. I bought my bike new in '08. I got the ABS, but choose not to spend the extra money on the airbag model. It was such a new concept at the time...and I wasn't aware of any incidents good or bad with it. I guess I felt it was more of a gimmick than a true safety item. But now, 3 years later and somewhat more knowledgeable, I would definetly get the airbag model ! The 2 stories I read about, one in CA and the other in FL, are enough to influence me to spend the extra money.

Good luck to you in making the decision.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Airbag?

I just sold my 2008 Wing without ABS & airbag. I got a great deal on the 2010 which had both the bag and ABS. When I bought the 2008 I didn't want either. When I bought the 2010 I really wanted the ABS but didn't care about the bag. I still don't care about the airbag as I'm afraid the airbag is just going to make the difference between keeping me on life support and instant death. I think I'm more comfortable with the latter. Though, Honda, I really appreciate your consideration of my physical well being. If I'm unfortunate enough to need the balloon and I am able to type on this forum afterwards, I will let you all know I am a great supporter of the bag. Until then let's hope no airbag is EVER deployed by any rider. :thumbup:

Kid

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Naysayers against airbags. I find some of the thoughts on here so stupid it boggles the mind. And as I am so bashful I will simply say so. No matter what the safety subject there are always ten pages of protest against safety items, be it an airbag, modulator or ABS brakes.

I am sure there are some experts on here that can stick a balloon between their lips and in the event of a crash huff and puff and inflate that balloon and have an instant airbag. There are a great many experts on here that can out perform ABS brakes. So I am fairly sure there are some that can instantly inflate a balloon. :evil::evil:

I am not an expert, I am just a rider who like all is at times subject to something totally stupid. Yes I might be daydreaming and T bone a car. If I ever did so I would sure be glad I had an airbag.

My bike does not have one. Why?? It was not on my mind at the time , but since that time I have seen at least two on this forum alone that have been saved by the airbag. So as my bike will last for another few years and .........will I trade it for one with an airbag......just might in a couple years. Especially if they ever come out with a real red one, bright flashy red......not subdued red.

Anything that can help you cannot hurt you. Simple as that. To even talk against a great safety item is not cool. Sure we all know riding a motorcycle is dangerous......does this mean to simply avoid any and all safety means......not to me, it means an airbag if you can have one, good brakes, lots of lights and anything else you can do to turn the tide your way.

Common sense, a daily thought of being observant and to be defensive and tools to help you when you are not.

Simple as that.

Should I post this or not, hum......:twisted: I think so, I am feeling a bit ornery and I sometimes grow weary of the experts who know it all.

I mean why would you wish and airbag, when you can just buy a .25 cent balloon and run around with that in your lips all day. :lol:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts