GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All- I have been hanging around for a bit. Started looking at the F6B, test rode one and it was sweet.. Liked it a lot, almost bought it then started looking at the GL1800's. Decision made, joined this board and have been talking w/ several people about their used ones (pm's) on the for sale thread. Think I will just buy a new one. My question is, and I know it is subjective and personal but what add-on's do most folks buy? What did you "not" buy that you wish you would have? I will be taking lots of 3 and 4 day trips (solo) and hopefully 1 or 2 extended rides a year and doing some camping. Is ABS and built in Nav worth the $$??
Thanks in advance >>>---->

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am happy with the following - Utopia Backrest / Butler Mug / Kury Highway Pegs and Luggage Rack. No Chrome added, I really like to
keep the bike functional. I know ever rider has their personnel list. For me this is all I need to add.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hello All- I have been hanging around for a bit. Started looking at the F6B, test rode one and it was sweet.. Liked it a lot, almost bought it then started looking at the GL1800's. Decision made, joined this board and have been talking w/ several people about their used ones (pm's) on the for sale thread. Think I will just buy a new one. My question is, and I know it is subjective and personal but what add-on's do most folks buy? What did you "not" buy that you wish you would have? I will be taking lots of 3 and 4 day trips (solo) and hopefully 1 or 2 extended rides a year and doing some camping. Is ABS and built in Nav worth the $$??
Thanks in advance >>>---->
IMHO.
ABS yes. It can save your life. The tpms and nav systems are way below par. Much better systems are available and cost less.

I purchased a used 2009 loaded but so far I have had to do a complete service - tires and one wheel replaced. Also the honda tpms is not working and that is real expensive to get fixed.

A new new one may be worth the extra money. If I buy another, it will be a new one or almost new and I will pick the tpms and nav systems.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The options are endless. I think a few basics that personalize the bike to add comfort are the best spent money.
Baker mirror wings are on top for me.
A back rest like Utopia, or one built into a custom seat help me stay in the saddle longer.
if you decide the stock seat doesn't work for you, my suggestion is try one that has a return policy and buy it when you can ride lots of days/miles to give it a thorough trial. If there's any question on comfort send it back.
And for highway pegs mic-o-pegs offer a lot of options.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Add ons

mirror mounted Baker air wings, Utopia backrest, and enough gas to ride many thousand miles

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I bought my '03 used, and it came with just about everything imaginable already installed. Would I have bought all that stuff and added it to a stock bike? No, in fact, I took some stuff off because I didn't like it. Some of it is useful but most is just bling. I did add the butler mug (the big one, don't mess with the 20oz). Baker wings, Highway pegs, are a must. Now if you ever have a co-rider, that is another story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am happy with the following - Utopia Backrest / Butler Mug / Kury Highway Pegs and Luggage Rack. No Chrome added, I really like to
keep the bike functional. I know ever rider has their personnel list. For me this is all I need to add.
:agree:.. minus the luggage rack (I went the receiver hitch rack instead), and I would add the travel bags designed to fit in the trunk/saddle bags, pack the bag, throw it on the bike and roll.

I have the ABS and love it, if I forget to threshold brake in a panic situation then the bike makes up for my mistake. On the 08 I would say no, the nav is not worth the money but I know in 2012 they updated the nav and I have no experience with it but it sounds like a big improvement.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New Wing

WELCOME to the forum, and good luck with your new ride when you find one. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If you are 6'0" or taller, you may want to consider a custom seat. (There are a couple on the for sale thread now.) A back rest is a must for anything over a couple of hours. Utopia is always the "winner" whenever the question is posed on a thread. I liked the one I had. I now have a Hartco seat/backrest. It sits me up and back, and is so much more comfortable for me. I also have a 32" inseam, and the Mic-O-Pegs work very nicely. A cup holder, or, in my case, a water bottle holder is a must. I use the large Butler mug. You may find the factory seat fits you nicely, and there is no need for a custom seat. If so, get a Utopia. If it does not fit, and you buy the backrest, it will turn out to be wasted money. If you ride in cold weather, heated seat/grips are super nice. I also use Knucklewarmers, which block the wind from hitting my hands. With them, a 2-4 mile trip and my summer gloves are enough. I also have Whelen TIR3s as auxiliary brake lights. I highly recommend them.

The best suggestion I could make would be to put a couple of thousand miles on it before you buy anything, except the Whelens.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I agree, ride it a while first. Then, get comfortable. If that means new seat, whatever, because if you're not comfie, you won't make it 3-4 days. Everything else is just personal preference.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Definitely get ABS. If I ever have opportunity to buy another Goldwing, I would get the airbag model too. Good protective riding gear is also important. After doing some research I bought a Motoport Kevlar mesh, two piece riding suit. It is pricey, but the quality is superb and Motoport will custom fit the gear for you. It's also made here in the USA. LD comfort under shorts are also worth buying, especially if you plan on doing a lot of riding in hot weather. I bought my bike slightly used and it came with the Butler cups. I've never used them. I rehydrate when I refuel. If you plan on riding in a group, a cb is a good option. If you need access to a phone while riding, the SENA Bluetooth headset works very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMHO.
ABS yes. It can save your life. The tpms and nav systems are way below par. Much better systems are available and cost less.

I purchased a used 2009 loaded but so far I have had to do a complete service - tires and one wheel replaced. Also the honda tpms is not working and that is real expensive to get fixed.

A new new one may be worth the extra money. If I buy another, it will be a new one or almost new and I will pick the tpms and nav systems.

Thanks for sharing.. This is the kind of info I am searching for.. >>>---->

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely get ABS. If I ever have opportunity to buy another Goldwing, I would get the airbag model too. Good protective riding gear is also important. After doing some research I bought a Motoport Kevlar mesh, two piece riding suit. It is pricey, but the quality is superb and Motoport will custom fit the gear for you. It's also made here in the USA. LD comfort under shorts are also worth buying, especially if you plan on doing a lot of riding in hot weather. I bought my bike slightly used and it came with the Butler cups. I've never used them. I rehydrate when I refuel. If you plan on riding in a group, a cb is a good option. If you need access to a phone while riding, the SENA Bluetooth headset works very well.
Thanks very much.. I have just ordered and received LD Socks, Shirt and Long Under ware (not shorts), not tried them out yet..>>>---->

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are 6'0" or taller, you may want to consider a custom seat. (There are a couple on the for sale thread now.) A back rest is a must for anything over a couple of hours. Utopia is always the "winner" whenever the question is posed on a thread. I liked the one I had. I now have a Hartco seat/backrest. It sits me up and back, and is so much more comfortable for me. I also have a 32" inseam, and the Mic-O-Pegs work very nicely. A cup holder, or, in my case, a water bottle holder is a must. I use the large Butler mug. You may find the factory seat fits you nicely, and there is no need for a custom seat. If so, get a Utopia. If it does not fit, and you buy the backrest, it will turn out to be wasted money. If you ride in cold weather, heated seat/grips are super nice. I also use Knucklewarmers, which block the wind from hitting my hands. With them, a 2-4 mile trip and my summer gloves are enough. I also have Whelen TIR3s as auxiliary brake lights. I highly recommend them.

The best suggestion I could make would be to put a couple of thousand miles on it before you buy anything, except the Whelens.
Thanks-Sound advice on riding a couple K before doing add on's.. I am planning a trip out west around the first of June and trying to narrow down and decide on a purchase ASAP.. I ride a VTX1800 now and I know the wing will be different...>>>---->

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I misspoke when I said just get comfie. Safety items are not even an option with me, they are primary. Good gear, ABS, etc are musts. Then get comfie, IMHO.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got my '06 back in October. Almost immediately I added a Windbender HPS with the rake kit, Baker Air Wings (bike already had hand wings), MBL bar risers, and a Utopia backrest. Recently I installed a set of BikeMP3 LED Shark lights in the cowl and the power port in the left cubby. I'm really happy with all of them so far and would do the same things if I had to start again.

I held out for an ABS bike, and would pay the premium for it if I were buying new.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my '06 back in October. Almost immediately I added a Windbender HPS with the rake kit, Baker Air Wings (bike already had hand wings), MBL bar risers, and a Utopia backrest. Recently I installed a set of BikeMP3 LED Shark lights in the cowl and the power port in the left cubby. I'm really happy with all of them so far and would do the same things if I had to start again.

I held out for an ABS bike, and would pay the premium for it if I were buying new.
Thanks Cripula-- Sounds like the ABS is a winner... Nav,,,I am still not so sure about??? >>>---->

·
Registered
305 Posts
Congratulations on your impending move to a gl1800. Yes by all means get ABS. Don't have it on my Goldwing but do on my Silver Wing and love it. I installed fog lights, not for fog but for visibility and am glad I did. The more visible we are the better. As for comfort items, by all means give it a bit to decide. For me Sirius/XM is a big deal so I have a portable unit for the Wing. Install extra 12 volt outlets, i have one in front cubby and one in rear trunk; can't have enough... :lol: Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:agree:.. minus the luggage rack (I went the receiver hitch rack instead), and I would add the travel bags designed to fit in the trunk/saddle bags, pack the bag, throw it on the bike and roll.

I have the ABS and love it, if I forget to threshold brake in a panic situation then the bike makes up for my mistake. On the 08 I would say no, the nav is not worth the money but I know in 2012 they updated the nav and I have no experience with it but it sounds like a big improvement.
Thanks PD-- a receiver hitch/rack sounds interesting, gonna check that out for sure. Sounds like ABS is a winner. I will try to do another search on the NAV on 12-13-14's...maybe I can find some discussions on that. Thanks again Sir.. >>>---->

1 - 20 of 42 Posts