GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with the original battery and its starting to drag a bit at startup especially if its sat a while.
Heres the question. I have ordered one of the Shorai Lithium Iron batterys from Wingstuff but it is backordered till the middle of July.
I had planned on doing some out of town riding over the week of the 4th and dont know if I should trust the battery being away from home.
Do I take my chances that the current battery will hold out or cancel the order and just buy a standard battery locally or wait till the backorder comes in and if I have a problem on the road use my progressive roadside service to get me to where I can buy a battery then?
Does anyone know anywhere else that may have the Shorai Batteries in stock?
Thanks for your suggestions
Cableman

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cableman that is a question you have to answer for yourself. How is the battery after the bike sits over night? If you worry bout the lady starting then mmmmmm -you may have your answer.

Some of the other may have better advice

·
Registered
557 Posts
Park on a slope overnight. the wing will bump start just fine. I did this 3 times this summer before I got a new battery

·
Registered
304 Posts
02 with an original battery? I believe you've got your money's worth from that one. Another thing to consider is that a weak battery puts extra strain on the entire electrical system, especially the alternator and starter.
If it were mine it would be outta there already.

·
Registered
137 Posts
On your trip I assume you will be riding every day. Assuming that is true you will have a freshly charged battery each morning. As long as your bike is starting just fine the morning after being ridden I would risk it.

Batteries that are going bad can fail catastrophically and if that happens then I would buy one on the road. I would park on a hill if that happens. It doesn't take much of a slope to get a Wing started.

I disagree with a low battery putting strain on a starter unless you leave the start button pressed for a long time. It probably won't hurt the charging system either. As it goes dead the internal resistance of the battery goes up and the charging system would have an easier time not a harder one.

I guess it depends on where you are going as well. If you are not going to be near big cities at least once a day then I might get a new stock one now. Wing batteries are not hard to get but you probably could not find one in Cody Wy and other small cities like that in the sticks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On your trip I assume you will be riding every day. Assuming that is true you will have a freshly charged battery each morning. As long as your bike is starting just fine the morning after being ridden I would risk it.

Batteries that are going bad can fail catastrophically and if that happens then I would buy one on the road. I would park on a hill if that happens. It doesn't take much of a slope to get a Wing started.

I disagree with a low battery putting strain on a starter unless you leave the start button pressed for a long time. It probably won't hurt the charging system either. As it goes dead the internal resistance of the battery goes up and the charging system would have an easier time not a harder one.

I guess it depends on where you are going as well. If you are not going to be near big cities at least once a day then I might get a new stock one now. Wing batteries are not hard to get but you probably could not find one in Cody Wy and other small cities like that in the sticks.
"internal resistance goes up" you do realize that a higher resistance takes higher voltage to push the same current through, bad batterys put a strain on the alternator making it deliver more current because the battery needs more and the lower voltage of the battery drags the entire system down making the alternator work harder and hotter, the starter has to deliver the same horse power on each start, if the battery voltage is low the stater will need more current making a demand on the windings, bad batteries are bad for the entire bike.

·
Vendor
18,424 Posts
That is incredable life out of a battery. I replace mine as PM every 3 years.

·
Vendor
22,232 Posts
If the battery make/model in the bike went 9 years why wouldn't you replace with the same model?
The OEM battery installed at the factory is not made to the same specs as what you buy off the shelf, even if it is the exact same part numbers. Normally, no replacement battery will ever outlast the original one put in at the factory, assuming it's been taken good care of.

I had planned on doing some out of town riding over the week of the 4th and dont know if I should trust the battery being away from home.
I think you should replace it. Heat increases the self discharge rate and sulfation problems in batteries, and the temps are only getting hotter. It's probably not going to last much longer.

The jury is still out on whether or not the Shorai Lithuim is going to outlast a normal Yuasa or not. I'm in the process of doing some long term testing, but I need more time before I can reach a conclusion on it. Its up to you what you want to use to replace it, but I suggest you do replace it, and soon.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have heard the same thing from dealers. That batteries produced now do not compare with the original. That is why I am running my 02 battery until it dies.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I replaced my original battery when it began exibiting the symptoms you describe. Installed a Yuasa purchased from HDL.
I think "Dr. Harmon" has given you a sound recommendation.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I can't believe your even asking this. Put a new battery in, cancel the one you have ordered if you feel the need, and ride worry free.

·
Registered
868 Posts
so how much are these Shorai Lithuim batteries?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The OEM battery installed at the factory is not made to the same specs as what you buy off the shelf, even if it is the exact same part numbers. Normally, no replacement battery will ever outlast the original one put in at the factory, assuming it's been taken good care of.
This was the reasoning behind going for the new tech Lithium even though it has not been proven in real world use yet and the jury is still out as Fred says.
As far as price they ARE expensive 176.99-339.99 at Wingstuff depending on CCA from 270-540.
Not that I think it makes a difference on the Wing application but they are 14.25 Lbs lighter also.
As "Claimed" by the manufacturer.
Shorai Gold Wing Batteries are a groundbreaking, non-acid lithium based Honda Gold Wing motorcycle battery lasts two to four times longer than standard acid batteries. Besides more power, longer lasting, this Gold Wing battery can hold a charge for up to a year with no charging. Features a 2-year limited warranty.
Shorai motorcycle batteries offer a huge weight reduction (1/4 to 1/5 standard lead-acid battery weight!). Shorai Gold Wing batteries significantly outlast any traditional lead acid battery. Shorai Gold Wing batteries hold a charge for up to one year without any maintenance.
Minor modifications necessary (1) Stock terminal ends need to be slightly bent. (2) Foam shims included in battery box need to be wrapped around battery due to smaller size.

• No more dead batteries. Holds charge for one year without maintenance.
  • Ultra lightweight, one fifth the weight of lead acid motorcycle batteries
  • Significantly outlast any traditional lead acid battery's
  • Military grade Carbon Fiber Composite Case
  • Faster Cranking for better starts
  • Super-Fast recharge rate
  • SAFE.. No explosive gasses during charge, No Lead, No Acid!!
  • Enviromentally friendly, just discharge and dispose
  • Japanese engineering and components are of the highest technology and quality
The newer models are also now avail in a larger case that does not need to be modified.

Also I know that the one in there now has been a good one as even though the bike is an 02 it was purchased by the original owner in Nov of 01 so yeah it has been worth the money and time for a replacement.

Thanks to the ones with helpful opinions so far:thumbup:
Cableman

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Cancel BO battery
Raplace with Yuusa

·
Registered
868 Posts
so these batteries are almost 300 bucks...holy cow

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Cancel BO battery
Raplace with Yuusa
+1. That's exactly what I would do. It can be a real pain to have a battery go out on a trip. I know. Cost me a day on my trip and a lot of headache once on my old Venture. I ended up having to but some CS brand for as much as a Yuasa and it lasted 2 years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts