GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 will be 3 years old next month. I am the original owner and the bike currently has only around 25,000 miles on it. I am very mechanically inclined, I have the service manual and have done the O2 sensor repair kit and speedometer changeout and the ecm change myself. Now being that this bike is rather complicated with all its electronics, what are your opinions on whether I should get the 4 year extended warranty or not? The dealer near me only sells like 5 GL's a year so they are not to experienced with working on these bikes. I usually find out more info on this site and do the repair/modification myself. I also installed the cb radio(on its 4th one now) and antenna, cd changer, fog lights, heated hand grips, rear spoiler, all Honda. I realize that the extended warranty doesn't cover the audio system. TIA

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bob,

Get the warranty. Get it this weekend while it is on sale from HDL. Even if you don't keep the bike another 4 years, it becomes a selling point.

God forbid another Honda Gremlin sticks it's head out, you will be covered.

I can't imagine anyone not getting the extended warranty, unless there are personal reasons.

Make the right decision and buy it, buy it now!
Bulldog

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
This is going to bring out a lot of theories. Mine is this. I am probably not as mechanically inclined as yourself. I can do alot of the things as far as install. I don,t however understand fuel injection. 02 sensors, and several of the repairs can take special tools. I think of it as an insurance policy against high priced parts.

I just contacted HDL last week and they told me that the extended warranty does in fact cover everything except tire, battey,and brakes. The CB radio and the CD player come with their own warranty.

I have only had my 1800 for seven months. If I am still in good health, still enjoy riding as much as I have, and barring any unforseen accidents then I know I will keep this one for the full seven years so it will have the warranty.

If you order your extended warranty before the 4th you can save a substantional amount over the normal dealer price of $500.00. That is of course if you order it from HDL.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yes

They are not a good deal if you buy it from a dealer at list price. However, if you buy it at a discount price, such as at HDL, or even better when HDL is having a sale, then it is a great deal. For four more years of warranty, you just can't beat it. And as BD says, if you order it by close of business on the 4th you'll get the sale discount.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just bought mine

I just bought mine while Hal is having this sale. I looked at it this way,if the alternator goes out on this bike thats the cost of your extended warranty,not to mention a number of other high priced parts.Cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Extended Honda Warranty

I bought it from Hal shortly after buying my 02ABS. Probably won't need it but it was very cheap insurance for 4 more years of worry free riding.

My extended warranty says it excludes the audio system.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I bought one on each of my last 2 bikes and my wing. I have never used one a single time but both bikes that I sold myself brought top dollar and both times the people said condition and warranty was why they would pay it.

On the other hand I plan on keeping the wing and I know how expensive Honda parts can be so I am glad to have it even though I do my own work too.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Lets see, 48 months x $12=$480, then $3 a week, 41 cents a day, or with four hours daily riding, 10 cents and hour. With the new GL1800 only three years old and just starting to wear, the future is still unknown, get the warranty. Agree with the others, may never use it but, one alternator bearing can cost more after it breaks up. Paper trail does take a good two months after purchase to get to you. But the warranty will be posted immediately under the bike S#.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I am very mechanically inclined, I have the service manual and have done the O2 sensor repair kit and speedometer changeout and the ecm change myself.
When you did the changes, did the dealer just give you the parts to do it, then you returned the old parts to them?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Phil,

Some dealers are glad to exchange the old with the new. This way they get to claim the complete warranty,parts& labor, but the don't do the labor. I am sure that the dealer would have to trust you well, before he would enter into this agreement. Sounds like the dealer could be liable for fraud. Not my concern however.

As the early poster wrote, how he did the change out himself. Did he PAY for the parts or were they covered by Warranty. I would bet the latter.

The extended warranty is a no brainer, no matter how you figure it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just read this thread, and you all convinced me to get the extended warranty. Now, for my question... I bought my 02 in May of 02. Does the three year warranty start on this this date, or is there some magical date about when it was made? My vote is that I am under warranty (my bike, anyway) until may of 05... At that time I need to be covered with one from Hal. Right? Thanks....

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
papalyn said:
I just read this thread, and you all convinced me to get the extended warranty. Now, for my question... I bought my 02 in May of 02. Does the three year warranty start on this this date, or is there some magical date about when it was made? My vote is that I am under warranty (my bike, anyway) until may of 05... At that time I need to be covered with one from Hal. Right? Thanks....
Yep, if it was bought new at a dealership. But it's OK to go ahead and buy the extended warranty early, especially when it's on sale. (like right now at HDL!)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Bulldog said:
Phil,

Some dealers are glad to exchange the old with the new. This way they get to claim the complete warranty,parts& labor, but the don't do the labor. I am sure that the dealer would have to trust you well, before he would enter into this agreement. Sounds like the dealer could be liable for fraud. Not my concern however.

As the early poster wrote, how he did the change out himself. Did he PAY for the parts or were they covered by Warranty. I would bet the latter.

The extended warranty is a no brainer, no matter how you figure it.

Bulldog
Thanks Dawg. I may have to chat with the SM next time I'm down there.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lucky Phil said:
I am very mechanically inclined, I have the service manual and have done the O2 sensor repair kit and speedometer changeout and the ecm change myself.
When you did the changes, did the dealer just give you the parts to do it, then you returned the old parts to them?
I received the parts from the SM and returned the old parts. The SM knows that I will do better work then any of his mechanics. The truth is no one takes more care of something than the owner who has a vested interest in the item in question. The only thing I let them do was the engine cutoff switch and the IPR recalls back in May of 2001. And that was only because the SM didn't know me yet. I do however bring my new tires bought from HDL along with the rims in to them and let them fight with mounting them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Warranty Gold goes bankrupt, stick with factory warranty

On my last two wings I've had Honda's extended warranty and said I would never have an non-oem aftermarket plan.

On 11/12 I bought a '04 BMW R1150RT for the city and kept the wing for the road. With BMW's generous 36,000 mile factory warranty, and not offering a factory extended warranty, the dealer offered me a 4 year Warranty Gold contract for $500.00. So here I go and not follow my own good advice and buy it.

They filed for Chapter 11 on 11/11.

Oh yeah, they're still selling contracts at the dealer and on the internet.

Like a handshake, it's only as good as what backs it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not really trying to stir the pot but was just thinking. I've never bought an extended warranty before. I did with my 2001 wing because of the issues the 1800 has experienced.

Strikes me that there is something wrong with this picture. Build a bike with issues and then sell more extended warranties because of the issues. Hmmmmmmmnnnnnn??????? Now that's marketing.

Sorry. I guess maybe I'm grumpy this morning.

wile e

·
Registered
53 Posts
It wouldn't take much of a problem to pay for the warranty. The GL is a 100K+ bike and unless you ride the socks off of it that will take five years or more. Normally I don't buy extended warranties but this one is cheap even if I decide to sell or trade the bike before it runs out.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Honda has offerred extended warranties beofre the 1800 came along. Mine will be 2 years old next month, so it's time to think about the extended warranty this summer. Maybe Hal will have another sale?
How does
4th of July Fireworks Sale :chef2: :yes: sound?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wait it out Chef , you have another year. Might as well use the money now on other toys. Joy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts