GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five of us were on a very nice fall ride Monday. At one point on the return, we passed by a large group of bikes parked on the side of the road at an intersection of two highways. We made our turn onto Hwy 17 and continued after a casual wave. Several miles down the road along a very tight, curvy section of road, with blind corners, I noticed (I was the last in line in our group) headlights and abruptly, a sportbike zoomed past 4 of our group, in a curve & double yellow line. We were going about 5 or 10 over the speed limit, BTW, so we weren't just poking along. Then a guy on a 1500 Wing, followed by a guy on a Harley went past, same scenario. The guy on the Wing had been riding up on my rear, then fading back, then riding up close again for several miles. They waded in and out of our group until they finally got through all 5 bikes, and they disappeared ahead. The rest of their group remained behind us until we all got to a gas station, at which point we got back on the road and continued while they all pulled off and gassed up.

My point here is, we all felt that this was not only discourteous of them, but dangerous as well. It made us all uncomfortable. How do you all view this kind of "group" riding behavior?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Now, ah ain't pickin' on ya or nuthin', but may I ask why YOUR group didn't do the courteous thing an' go single file in the right track so these folks could simply pass on through? This way they wouldn't have been forced to make dangerous passes to get by slower riders.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You're right. It was discourteous and dangerous of them. But there are people out there like that. The best thing your group could have done was to slow down and pull over to the far right of your lane. If possible and safe, pulling off the road is even better.

After they had passed, just get over it. Never ride angry.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I'll wave folks that want to go faster than me on around. I wish others would do likewise. I had to parse a group of cruisers on the gap last sunday cause they were just going too damn slow. All the while we all were getting passed by even faster still riders.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
There always seems to be someone who wants to go faster even if you are already speeding yourself. You should have just pulled to the right and waved them on to pass you when they first appeared to be in a hurry to get around you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Even bike riders have some bad apples in their midst. The problem here is these guys WILL be involved in a crash; hopefully they do not take out other bikers.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
these folks are right,if safe pull right then let them pass,the go along with your day!

my saying is this

if they are behind you they are a danger to you,if they are in front of you they are entertainment!!!!!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Couldn't agree more. As aggravating as it might be, you should get out of their way and out of their danger! Many years ago I learned a little phrase about the right of way that sort of applies here. It isn''t worth insisting on the right of way if it leaves you dead right! So, even if someone is being rude in their riding, if it's dangerous, just get out of their way and live to ride another day!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Fireball18 said:
My point here is, we all felt that this was not only discourteous of them, but dangerous as well. It made us all uncomfortable. How do you all view this kind of "group" riding behavior?
Deys just screwin wit ya man. It's almost impossible not to mess with a gaggle of wingers when out riding. It's so rare to see them in the first place, ya just have to have some fun.

What I like to do when I see a group of wingers riding, is to blow past them at a buck sixty or so. This helps them with their awareness skills.

I'll then slow way down and let a few pass me. This helps them with their passing skills.

After a few pass me, then I'll speed up and pass the original group that passed me and then slow way back down again and let them pass me again. This helps them with their communication skills as they are all now on the CB squawking about the crazy MOFO on the crotch rocket.

After weaving in and out of the group and helping them with their lane positioning skills, I'll wave and say my goodbyes knowing that I helped some fellow wingers become better riders :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Typically the drag controls the formation and events like this should have been covered in the before ride brief.

That being said, it was very rude of them to cut into your formation and in some areas they may have gotten shot for doing it. This is based on the assumption that you ALL had the proper spacing, either 1 second or 2 depending on the formation. So the fact that they did cut in leads me to believe that your group was fragmented.

If you all have radios you should be communicating, hey pull over next available space and let speed racer go by. Can't really determine proper actions by what you have stated. But it was no doubt rude of them, I would imagine they had some frustrations being behind you.

Formation ridding is not easy and takes lots of practice, each rider needs to be paying attention all the time. Sightseeing is for the backseater. But when done well with a good group it is very impressive to see, and fun to participate in as well.

Don't let it get you frustrated, just talk to the guys and go over various scenarios. Also CB's are a huge benefit for this type of ridding.

Take care.

·
Registered
81 Posts
azblackbird

Have u ever ran off the ran off the road and hit a tree, just to show these guys how to properly dismount after smashing your brains out of your skull?

Just wondering.

I did it once, and it really hurt!!!!!!!

Try it

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I understand why those riders might have done that. Sunday I was riding on hwy. 149 between Montgomery and Anderson Texas which is a scenic route through Sam Houston National Forest. It is one of my favorite rides in this area thats full of sweet twisties, hills, and high speed sweepers with a lot of sporting high speed riders. Well I come over a hill and there they are, a riding group made up of mostly if not all Harley riders. They are literary averaging between 40 and 45 mph in a 70 mph zone. They would not get into single file wave me around or do anything to help me get around them. I would estimate the length of their group was approximately 4 to 5 semi tractor trailers long. I had to follow them for about 8 to 10 miles at the grandma's pace and finally had to make a big blast around all them which was somewhat dangerous just to be on my way. You talk about lack of etiquitte, that was it. GRRRRRRRRR :banghead:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
TexasRedneck said:
Now, ah ain't pickin' on ya or nuthin', but may I ask why YOUR group didn't do the courteous thing an' go single file in the right track so these folks could simply pass on through? This way they wouldn't have been forced to make dangerous passes to get by slower riders.
Who "forced" them to make dangerous passes???

Move right and let them go by, I agree.

Formation ridding is not easy and takes lots of practice,

It is not easy but it is silly!!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
azblackbird,
You're so full of it, I'll bet your eyes are brown :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I guess it looks like I am in the minority here, but you asked for opinions.

I expect anyone, auto or cycle, to pass me in a legal manner! As far as I am concerned, I own the portion of the lane in which I am riding. I am not going to allow someone whom I know nothing about, to "share" my lane. They can wait until they have a clear passing zone.

Not only is it dangerous and illegal to pass as you described, it is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
598 Posts
"a sportbike zoomed past 4 of our group, in a curve & double yellow line"

Passing in a curve & double yellow line is NEVER appropriate. Those guys should have given your group a chance to move over and your group should have been courteous and moved over.

DubT

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
So, you're riding a curvy road over the speed limit and you're expected to give up part of your lane so an impatient rider can pass? No way!

Similarly, I've had cars pass me in a similar situation as they straddled the center line and expected me to ride on the shoulder. Again, no way! You must protect your "turf".

If they want to pass, make them do it on the right. Motion them through if you like but do not give up your lane.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
azblackbird said:
Fireball18 said:
Deys just screwin wit ya man. It's almost impossible not to mess with a gaggle of wingers when out riding. It's so rare to see them in the first place, ya just have to have some fun.

What I like to do when I see a group of wingers riding, is to blow past them at a buck sixty or so. This helps them with their awareness skills.

I'll then slow way down and let a few pass me. This helps them with their passing skills.

After a few pass me, then I'll speed up and pass the original group that passed me and then slow way back down again and let them pass me again. This helps them with their communication skills as they are all now on the CB squawking about the crazy MOFO on the crotch rocket.

After weaving in and out of the group and helping them with their lane positioning skills, I'll wave and say my goodbyes knowing that I helped some fellow wingers become better riders :D
Rodehard, how ya been? Have you mastered the fine art of exiting yet? :wink: :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts