GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to Russell's next Tuesday to have seats made for our motorcycles. Here's my question: which is preferred, the velour or leather seating panels, and which is the preferred stitching design, the large rectangles or the new half-moon design? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
To me ALL velour seats are ugly.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have had my new russell for 2000 miles

i like the velour, due to heat and in general looks

my hartco also had the velour seating area, and even after 2 years, looked like the first day

my stich pattern is a fatory look rectangle pattern

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have about 6,000 miles on my new Russell. I put it on the day before my BBG (1500 miles in under 24 hours). It worked really well and I had very little discomfort. I highly recommend it.
Mine is made with Leather seating and vinyl sides. I like the leather because it breathes and you can slide around a little. I used the rectangular pattern on mine ,to match the back rest .
I'll give Russell 2 big thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I bought a New Russell seat for my 99 SE a few years ago with velor seat, backrest (both driver and passenger) with leather sides and the back of the driver backrest, with pouch. The velor is cooler in the heat. The seat was black with gray panels. As far as the seat goes it was the best money I ever spent on that bike. Made a world of difference in my riding comfort. As far as looks, I always thought the Corbin was the better looking seat, but it was just not in the same class with the Russell as far as comfort.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Russell seat

I loved the leather Russell that I had on my Valkyrie. I put 65,000 miles on that saddle and it just seemed to get better the more miles I put on it. The leather wore like iron and broke in like a boot would to your foot. I'd sit on the bike and it just felt right. The Russell never let me down no matter how many hours I spent in the saddle and I've done 1000+ days many times. By the way, I happened to meet Paul Taylor, the guy who won the Iron Butt Rally about three years ago. He was checking out the leather cover on my Russell because his was covered in vinyl and he was thinking of having it recovered in leather. I asked him how many miles he had on his Russell and he told me he had about 146,000 miles on it. That told me something about how long the seat would hold up. I'm 5'10" 230 lbs. and he was bigger than me.
This winter I'll be putting a new Russell on my Goldwing and it will be done in leather. I had the large rectangle stitches on my last Russell and will probably do the same this time. It doesn't mean I have anything against the velour, it's just that I was very satisfied with the leather.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with all vinyl on my Russell seat for the durability and the half moon stitching because it was the most waterproof.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
laen said:
To me ALL velour seats are ugly.
But, but, but, ...it's not chrome..... :cry:

Velour is the most comfortable but requires the most care. Then leather. Then naugahyde.
These are naugas from which naugahyde is obtained:
http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

·
Registered
311 Posts
Warning: Not a hijack...

I have a question for those who have velour... How fast does it dry after riding in the rain. I tend to get rained on a lot. I even had rain/flash flooding in Phoenix on my last ride. I am hoping to get a Russell in spring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I do better with the leather as far as comfort, but have always preferred to
have velour over nogoodhyde.

If leather is properly cared for it will last for years. I would suggest that
the velour would not last quite as long, but very likely with proper care
would last as well as nogoodhyde.

So, I would go leather, velour, then nogoodhyde if a choice was to be
made.

JMHO....

·
Registered
203 Posts
gdaddy said:
Warning: Not a hijack...

I have a question for those who have velour... How fast does it dry after riding in the rain. I tend to get rained on a lot. I even had rain/flash flooding in Phoenix on my last ride. I am hoping to get a Russell in spring.
I had velour on my Harco and it lasted about 200k miles. I sprayed it with Scotchguard about once a year. If it had been raining I wiped it off with a rag before getting on and it helds very little water.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
gdaddy said:
Depends on wind, humidity, amount of saturation, etc.
I can usually blot it dry with a microfiber towel and it will be dry enough in an hour or two.
But then there are those soaker days where you get rained on all day and ride for 16 hours in a frog-drowner. If you've pushed that much water in with your butt, it takes a good two days under a fan to dry it.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
russell also sells a custom made rain cover for their seats

as soon as it gets raining

add the rain cover and your frogg toggies

1 - 14 of 14 Posts